Question ECU variance over gen 1 and 2 bikes

Valentino

Reaction score
Ayup!

First post on here, so be gentle.

I have a late 2016 registered generation 1 MT09.

I found a random post online regarding pressing the select and reset buttons on the dash to get the diagnostic menu up to dick around with some settings and remove fault codes.

It doesn't work on my bike, so I'm assuming mine would have been one of the earliest bikes to have the ECUs that have the diagnostic menu removed that happened from 2017 and the generation 2 bikes.

My question would be, does anyone know enough about the ecu changes and details to know whether my bike has the gen 2 ecu, and whether it would be compatible with the gen 2 quickshifter?

Any help is appreciated.

I've attached a picture of my gen 1 with gen 2 headlight conversion for your perusal. 20220613_070915.jpg

Peeltheorange

Reaction score
morning... ayup 😁 ive managed to get mine into the diag menu thing, it can show you things like raw throttle position, but not sure if it will do a lot more like fault codes and resetting things, i did try getting a 4pin cable adapter to obd2 port to try seeing if it would communicate with anything like torque.. but that def didnt work 😐, mines a 2014 def gen 1 bike tho, that headlight conversion is gonna muddle with your average mt09 spotter tho 😁, what sequence of buttons did you try?

09Wes

Reaction score
Ayup!

I found a random post online regarding pressing the select and reset buttons on the dash to get the diagnostic menu up to dick around with some settings and remove fault codes.

It doesn't work on my bike, so I'm assuming mine would have been one of the earliest bikes to have the ECUs that have the diagnostic menu removed that happened from 2017 and the generation 2 bikes.

My question would be, does anyone know enough about the ecu changes and details to know whether my bike has the gen 2 ecu, and whether it would be compatible with the gen 2 quickshifter?

Any help is appreciated.

I've attached a picture of my gen 1 with gen 2 headlight conversion for your perusal. View attachment 6139
Say there how did you get that gen 2 headlight on?

09Wes

Reaction score
Ayup!

Any help is appreciated.

I've attached a picture of my gen 1 with gen 2 headlight conversion for your perusal. View attachment 6139
Valentino where did you get that gen 2 headlight adapter? TIA

Malcolm register

Reaction score
Hi. I also would like to know how you wired the gen 2 headlight to the gen 1 MT09. I have the gen 2 headlight that has been retrofitting to bolt up to the gen 1 but still has the 6 pin plug, also I have the 5 pin mini relay. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.