Engine whiney when cold

Hammy

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I got my used MT09 delivered and when the bike is cold and idle it sounds very whiney. Is this normal ?

I spoke to CMC motorcycles, where i bought it from, and they said that these triples are quite whiney. Any feedback much appreciated

Davy

Reaction score
Mine's like that too, took it back to the dealers and he said it was normal, he started the demo MT to let me hear and it was exactly the same.

Darren Reid

Reaction score
Depends on what your mens by whiney? My engine sounds completely different from cold to hot but it's very hard to describe the sound actually. Been in the engine since I got it so all good I presume. Does it go away when you pull in the clutch?

lee1980

Reaction score
mine whines like a biatch until I have ridden her hard!

Joking aside I dont notice it, is this with stock exhaust?

Hammy

Reaction score
Depends on what your mens by whiney? My engine sounds completely different from cold to hot but it's very hard to describe the sound actually. Been in the engine since I got it so all good I presume. Does it go away when you pull in the clutch?
No it stays the same with the clutch pulled in.

It does have a stock exhaust.
[MENTION=736]Davy[/MENTION], cheers for that feedback mate, at least it's not just mine. I took it to my local dealer but the bike was warm by then and didn't seem as bad and he said it was fine

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
If you mean a sound like "kkkrrrr" which is coming from the left side of cylinders when you start the engine when is cold, i have to say that mine is doing that sound/noise for some seconds and then dissapear..
I think its hearing for a short time untl the oil-pump lubricate the engine's inwards with an ammount of oil...
I'd ask my mechanic about that, who insists that is not a "problem".

HabUK

Reaction score
Mine whines, 2 weeks old 200 miles, the demo bike did it as well, I'd say its normal.

sigtrm

Reaction score
Get Carbon Akrapovic, dB killer out, you will not hear a thing beside exhaust ;-)

Cornish

Reaction score
Hammy, mine does the same noise; Aykro and three weeks old my friend.

I reckon it'll go when bedded in more from experience of new bikes with odd noises; then agin what the heck do i know :)