Few Questions before I buy a new Tracer

stringman

Reaction score
Hi all

I am thinking of buying a Tracer. Unsure of whether to go for a used demo or buy a brand new model.

I am hearing about the fact that the bike is restricted. Is this the case in the UK? is it just the top speed? if so what is it limited to or are there any other restrictions?
I understand that this can be bypassed by having the ECU flashed -is this the only way?

I would look to change the exhaust at some time and really don't believe that the bike doesn't need flashing or any modding with a new exhaust. I come from riding triumphs so could change my own maps at will , the difference in the smoothness through the range was amazing with new maps.

I know everyone goes for the ako but that seems so expensive so I was thinking of maybe an arrow exhaust any thoughts?

Finally whats the general feeling on the best option for wind protection/noise. on the road test I found the protection to be ok but the noise was quite bad (but I didn't have my ear plugs in)

many thanks in advance and I hope I can join you all soon

Ivan IAM

Reaction score
I have a tracer

Hi all

I am thinking of buying a Tracer. Unsure of whether to go for a used demo or buy a brand new model.

I am hearing about the fact that the bike is restricted. Is this the case in the UK? is it just the top speed? if so what is it limited to or are there any other restrictions?
I understand that this can be bypassed by having the ECU flashed -is this the only way?

I would look to change the exhaust at some time and really don't believe that the bike doesn't need flashing or any modding with a new exhaust. I come from riding triumphs so could change my own maps at will , the difference in the smoothness through the range was amazing with new maps.

I know everyone goes for the ako but that seems so expensive so I was thinking of maybe an arrow exhaust any thoughts?

Finally whats the general feeling on the best option for wind protection/noise. on the road test I found the protection to be ok but the noise was quite bad (but I didn't have my ear plugs in)

My tracer was bought in February one of the first sold I believe I'm unaware of it being restricted in fact it's pretty dam quick and has excellent fuelling
I've not bought a new pipe yet but I'm looking at the Arrow Gun unit nice in black or silver.

I bought an extension for my screen but it's still mousy I'm thinking of buying a Puig unit

Hope that helps

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes the bike is restricted. It has restrictions on 5th and 6th gears...
We remove the restrictions on the MT-09 when we flash them

glaik0562

Reaction score
cool, thanks for that. I'll look forward to the smoother fuel map and the deristrictions in the 5th and 6th then.

Phlewc

Reaction score
TT - what are the effect of the restrictions in 5th and 6th? Can't say I have really noticed any issues, but then again I am not a top speed merchant.

sigtrm

Reaction score
Hi all

Here, quick Q&A https://www.facebook.com/groups/344250572418277/permalink/464181503758516/

stringman

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies

I heard that the top speed was restricted due to the handling anyone got any comments?
Im not too bothered about the top speed it was more about the other aspects of the restrictions that may have been in place.

Thanks for the help.

Spook99

Reaction score
I moved from an FZ1 to a new Tracer a couple of months ago and I think, in A mode, it out performs the FZ1, restricted or not, but a bit of smoothing out by remapping won't hurt it.
You're bang on with the wind protection, it's pretty good, but if you really want to cut out the noise you'll need a bigger screen, took mine for a 5 day trip round France and, with ear plugs, it didn't make me wanna get a bigger screen.
Also right with you on the exhaust, it purrs nicely, but I miss my old Remus and the full Akro is just too much, I'm also looking at alternatives.
I've got no regrets

stringman

Reaction score
well at long last I have bought one!

I didn't plump for a brand new one but got an ex demo one for what seems to be a good price.
just need to work out what to buy next.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I also changed my FZ1 Fazer for a Tracer, I think the Fazer pulled a bit harder at high revs, but really not much in it. Although I did see 161mph on the Autobahn on the Fazer. I was fitted with an Akrapovic, K&N, Power commander and properly set up though.

I have an MT09 and a Tracer, and the Tracer fulling is much much smoother as standard, the MT just takes a bit of getting used to.