First FZ-09 Performance Mods.

T

tango

What are the first FZ-09 performance mods you are thinking about doing?

flying circus

Reaction score
What are the first FZ-09 performance mods you are thinking about doing?
when I saw the bike it looks perfect and I cannot see how I could improve it......but did think handguards and heated grips

Attachments

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Exhaust for sure to really hear that 3 cylinder motor! Then looks wise: remove mirrors for bar end mirrors, fender eliminator, projector headlight, etc.

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would indeed be on board, because you would be the one doing it! ;)

Brock Kickass

Reaction score
Like any production bike, upgrading the suspension will be the biggest "bang for buck" mod, and the best chance of improving the performance in a big way.
Because of the affordability of this bike, I predict a wealth of mods becoming available fairly quickly. Exhausts and fuel controllers should be available by spring. I bet there is an FZ-09 somewhere on a dyno right now...

Cosmetically, stock Yamaha signals are hideous. There are lots of LED options out there that are as bright or brighter than stock and a kamillion times more stylish. Those signals and the stock mirrors have to go. While on the subject of lighting, I am interested to see what Chad can stuff in that headlight lens. Some type of offset/asymmetrical BMW type thing could be really cool.

Personally, I think the tail is too short to completely eliminate the fender. I'd be looking at an R1 type aluminum strut to hang the plate out over the rear tire. Something minimal and thin looking with some LED signals integrated in to the plate bracket would be stylish and functional, and really keep with the modern look of the bike. The taillight looks like a bit of an afterthought too. It looks cool, but I bet it could be removed without messing up the lines of the tail, and replaced with something built in to the plate bracket for something different from most other bikes out there.

Of course, the whole point of customizing it to make it your own. This is just what I would do if I was modding one. I'm interested to hear what other people think when they look at this bike, I think it's one of the more stylish offerings from Yamaha in quite some time, and the potential for customization seems pretty good.

Rabbitman109

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
You would indeed be on board, because you would be the one doing it! ;)
Thanks for the support Jay!

Like any production bike, upgrading the suspension will be the biggest "bang for buck" mod, and the best chance of improving the performance in a big way.
Because of the affordability of this bike, I predict a wealth of mods becoming available fairly quickly. Exhausts and fuel controllers should be available by spring. I bet there is an FZ-09 somewhere on a dyno right now...

Cosmetically, stock Yamaha signals are hideous. There are lots of LED options out there that are as bright or brighter than stock and a kamillion times more stylish. Those signals and the stock mirrors have to go. While on the subject of lighting, I am interested to see what Chad can stuff in that headlight lens. Some type of offset/asymmetrical BMW type thing could be really cool.

Personally, I think the tail is too short to completely eliminate the fender. I'd be looking at an R1 type aluminum strut to hang the plate out over the rear tire. Something minimal and thin looking with some LED signals integrated in to the plate bracket would be stylish and functional, and really keep with the modern look of the bike. The taillight looks like a bit of an afterthought too. It looks cool, but I bet it could be removed without messing up the lines of the tail, and replaced with something built in to the plate bracket for something different from most other bikes out there.

Of course, the whole point of customizing it to make it your own. This is just what I would do if I was modding one. I'm interested to hear what other people think when they look at this bike, I think it's one of the more stylish offerings from Yamaha in quite some time, and the potential for customization seems pretty good.
Agree, suspension is important, wouldn't help cosmetically, but functionality would make it worthwhile.

Yes, stock signals always suck. There are tons of options out there, and I have done a trick signal with an FZ8, which is what I would think would work well on the FZ-09. Oh you have no idea what I can do with a small headlight housing. The biggest trick that I have pulled off, was an FX-R projector in an FZ1-N housing, which is the smallest housing that I have ever seen. Anything is usually possible, just depends on how much you want something like that done. Looking at the pictures, it does look a little more restricted than say the FZ6R and FZ8 headlight. But I think that most will go with a D2S projector. The shroud is what usually is the issue, but there are ways to make big ones fit inside small housings. I see potential to do some flushing of LED accessories too.

I like the idea of the strut tail. Honestly some bikes with fender elims don't look right. The aluminum isn't as ugly as stock, but will function and balance out the back better.

Brock Kickass

Reaction score
Yes, stock signals always suck. There are tons of options out there, and I have done a trick signal with an FZ8, which is what I would think would work well on the FZ-09. Oh you have no idea what I can do with a small headlight housing. The biggest trick that I have pulled off, was an FX-R projector in an FZ1-N housing, which is the smallest housing that I have ever seen. Anything is usually possible, just depends on how much you want something like that done. Looking at the pictures, it does look a little more restricted than say the FZ6R and FZ8 headlight. But I think that most will go with a D2S projector. The shroud is what usually is the issue, but there are ways to make big ones fit inside small housings. I see potential to do some flushing of LED accessories too.

Rabbitman, I really think several photos of the headlights and signal lights you mentioned would really help get your point across. :)

motomania

Reaction score
Mods I am planning:
1) good tires, I suspect the stock rim protection is not good enough to be considered decent tires.
2) SSL brake lines
3) better mirrors
4) hugger rear fender
5) Bob that tail
6) suspension upgrade
7) refine seating position, footpegs, handlebars as needed
8) hand guards and a small flyscreen
9) improve the turn signals
10) maybe a chin fairing to clean up the lines of that exhaust

I have more ideas but thats what is first.

JCL270

Reaction score
Thanks. I strive for 100% customer satisfaction. So far, so good.
I see all these posts are from a while back, now the mt09 has been out for a year have you had a chance to see any headlight mods that you really like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbitman109

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
I see all these posts are from a while back, now the mt09 has been out for a year have you had a chance to see any headlight mods that you really like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoa, the FZ09 is I think been our most popular headlight, I think we do more of those than others. My favorite look is the single ring behind the shroud of an Apollo 3.0. But there is a huge gallery on our website to prove its popularity.

sigtrm

Reaction score
How these little turn signals are better than stock ones? At least on pics these look barely visible. ;-(

Spot

Reaction score
Whoa, the FZ09 is I think been our most popular headlight, I think we do more of those than others. My favorite look is the single ring behind the shroud of an Apollo 3.0. But there is a huge gallery on our website to prove its popularity.
Do you ship to the UK ?
I appreciate the postage won't be cheap and there'll be import duties too but as I can't imagine many people over here will have had something similar done it might be a price worth paying :)