Fuel bars

Mtpete

Reaction score
Has any one noticed that the first fuel bar lasts much longer than any of the others? I get like about 75-80k out of the first bar and about 25km out of each of the rest. On a side note when I get stuck into the throttle I go through a bar of fuel (excluding the first one) every 4 mins, now that is thirsty!! Lol.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Has any one noticed that the first fuel bar lasts much longer than any of the others? I get like about 75-80k out of the first bar and about 25km out of each of the rest. On a side note when I get stuck into the throttle I go through a bar of fuel (excluding the first one) every 4 mins, now that is thirsty!! Lol.
When i fill the tank until the cap i can get more than 100km on the 1st fuel bar (which is more "fat" than the rest).
Now i 've done 7200km and realize that i get more km per liter allthough i did some whellies.
My bike is absolutelly stock, 99% riding on STD mode.
B mode reminds me my prevous V-Strom throtlle behaviour
A mode on polished tarmac is only for burnouts... even on std i can;t accelerate on first 5 gears, believe me. But i used to manage the throtlle's response.
So, i never have tried to drive full throtle.
Today i did 200km before last led start flashing.
2 months ago i did the same including reserve.
I always use V-power.
Before 2200km i change the oil, i put elf 10w-50 instead of yamalube 10w-40.
I mention that just in case that engine wear plus oil and gas quality effect the milleage..

Last edited:

Stripy

Reaction score
For me, first bar note the half full-tank. From here, each bar is around 10-12 miles.
When it starts flashing, i have done 24 miles, but not really interested in trying the luck on that :)

Cobweb

Reaction score
I don't take much notice of the fuel gauge, I'm too busy looking where I'm going and when I do finally look at it, it's usually flashing and I'm 25 miles into reserve and in as panic to find a garage.

sigtrm

Reaction score
That's normal, it's because of cheap analog sensor mostly. Generally you have high mid and low state. And the bars are just approximation. The most importent is reserve measure the rest is just decoration.

big ade

Reaction score
mine seems to stay on 4 bars for ages ( when tank is full ! ) ........ then drops like a lead balloon to f-trip in about 20 minuets
i'm getting about 110 miles out of a tank full . usually shell v power