Gear box recall

neilab

Reaction score
Just had recall conformation for my tracer .. Booked in for first service same time........BUT...do they replace engine oil with recall repairs...!!!!!!
and if so will cancel the service...save £120.00

groundhog

Reaction score
Just had recall conformation for my tracer .. Booked in for first service same time........BUT...do they replace engine oil with recall repairs...!!!!!!
and if so will cancel the service...save £120.00
I've had the recall letter too, Mine has already had 600 service and is at the dealers waiting to be repaired after a recent accident, so I presume they will do mine at the same time.

In answer to your question I don't know if this recall repair would need the oil to be drained, It doesn't sound like it but I don't know? . But if it does you could be on to a winner !! Also my dealer only charged £40.00 for the oil and filter with no labour charge

RatHead

Reaction score
First service should not be £120. with Yamaha you only pay for parts for first service so long as you take it to the dealer you bought it off, it will say this somewhere in your manual/service book. It does mine and parts is all I paid for.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
First service should not be £120. with Yamaha you only pay for parts for first service so long as you take it to the dealer you bought it off, it will say this somewhere in your manual/service book. It does mine and parts is all I paid for.
Its up to the dealer whether they charge and most do.
The section in my service book has been amended with a black pen.
Also received letter for my tracer today.

groundhog

Reaction score
Its up to the dealer whether they charge and most do.
The section in my service book has been amended with a black pen.
Also received letter for my tracer today.
Yes mine said that he should be charging for labour but kindly didn't !

RatHead

Reaction score
Mine wasn't amended so I only paid £40. It has to be agreed if its not the case so my book says.

Paul

Reaction score
Whats the recall for?
"Gear shift cam segment stopper may start to develope a fatigue crack which in the extreme may eventually hinder gear selection"

"Replace the Gear Shaft with a new remedial part"

Got my letter today. Waiting for my dealer to call me back.

lee1980

Reaction score
I got letter to yesterday for MT-09 posted topic in that forum section to. With first service, I was told Yamaha are for this year no longer paying the labour charges or were going to stop at some point. I bought mine last December so was ok, it was £44.

GRAHAM TRACER 15

Reaction score
Will all owners get the recall letter, I have to say that the gear-change on my Tracer is not that great at times !

bob in japan

Reaction score
Graham,what sort of problems are you having with the gear box.
I have a weird thing that happens in 3rd gear. As I let out the clutch there is a weird sort of squeeling sound .Just for a moment as the last bit of the clutch handle releases. It does it at low revs . medium revs . It is still new so I havent changed up in the high rev range yet . I have to let the clutch out a bit slowly almost like riding the clutch .
I m not sure if this is a problem or just normal for the bike.?
Sometimes after a ride when the bike is hot ,finding neutral is a bit difficult too.

J.J.B.

Reaction score
Graham,what sort of problems are you having with the gear box.
I have a weird thing that happens in 3rd gear. As I let out the clutch there is a weird sort of squeeling sound .Just for a moment as the last bit of the clutch handle releases. It does it at low revs . medium revs . It is still new so I havent changed up in the high rev range yet . I have to let the clutch out a bit slowly almost like riding the clutch .
I m not sure if this is a problem or just normal for the bike.?
Sometimes after a ride when the bike is hot ,finding neutral is a bit difficult too.
Bob, I get the same but only when changing down into third from fourth - a strange mechanical whining sound. It doesn't sound 'bad' as such, just don't get it in any other gear change, up or down...

bob in japan

Reaction score
Graham , does the amount of revs affect the noise. My noise is a squeeling whining noise .
I will try upshifting without the clutch and see if the noise happens.
How long does your noise last /? Once my clutch is completely released the noise is gone. Its very quick .My solution has been to let out the clutch out much slower than I want to .
I will ask the dealer but as its Japan I am expecting a vague answer at best or "its normal for the bike " .
I wonder if many other people have a similar problem. It may be something that goes away as the everything settles in .
I am on a facebook Tracer page so will post up the same question there and see if I get any answers .

Traction

Reaction score
Where does the letter come from regarding the gearbox recall, the dealer or Yamaha direct. Must say, not very impressed with Yamaha customer Services so far. Three months down the line and no welcome pack/warranty card yet!!

GRAHAM TRACER 15

Reaction score
I don't have any strange gearbox noises other than the loud clunk when going from neutral to first as on most bikes, I just find the gearchange notchy and not particularly smooth, my last two bikes were a Triumph Tiger sport which had a very smooth gearchange and a Suzuki Bandit 1250 which changed gear like a hot knife through butter !