Gear Downshift issues. Any ideas please !!!

solomon

Reaction score
Can anybody help me to understand my strange Gear Changes !!!

Cut a long story short. Whenever I am in 4,5 or 6th Gear, and I brake hard (not downshifting, just pull in clutch) and come to a quick standstill, I cannot see on my display what Gear I am in, goes blank, and I cannot downshift at all. I have to let the clutch out slowly, then will show me what gear I am in, but will still not let me downshift or up shift.To be able to downshift, I have to rev engine (even if I am in 6th gear) and pull away, only then can I downshift normally. My bike does not do this if I brake hard in 3 rd or 2nd gear. I have also replicated this strange gear scenario whilst having my left foot completely off the pegs so that I am sure my feet are not touching the Gear shifter whilst coming to an abrupt stop. My bike does not do this if I am stopping/slowing in a slow manner.
Any ideas ???

solomon

Reaction score
Shift lever is free to move and not tight. Bike works perfectly with effortless gear changes apart from when I brake hard to a standstill with clutch engaged from gear 4 upwards. It is a very strange phenomenon to me. I can only imagine that there must be something that happens to the gears/clutch when under hard braking. I am truly baffled by this. As I said before, I can replicate this oddity time after time by hard breaking and coming to a standstill from gear 4 upwards with or without my left foot on the peg !!!

RatHead

Reaction score
it sounds normal to me, every bike i've had does this.

solomon

Reaction score
The gear indicator is one issue, but the physical inability to change gear is another (unless I rev and engage motion). I have never had this before on any other bike. Could it be possible that under hard braking that the clutch or gear shift loses position ? Thank you all for your help so far on this issue

jezthomas

Reaction score
The gear indicator is one issue, but the physical inability to change gear is another (unless I rev and engage motion). I have never had this before on any other bike. Could it be possible that under hard braking that the clutch or gear shift loses position ? Thank you all for your help so far on this issue
I've had this a few times. When I'm lazy and don't go down from 6th or 5th when I know I'm probably going to come to a standstill and will need to be in 1st. I think I've been breaking fairly hard each time. It's happened 4 or 5 times. Each time I've stopped, I can't see on the display what gear I'm in and stamping on the gear shifter once I've stopped, has no effect. By letting the clutch out and trickling forward, I can then change down and the indicator shows accurately. Another time, I turned the engine off and rocked the bike in gear and that also worked. It hasn't happened for a few hundred k's now because I've stopped being lazy and always change down in plenty of time, but I assume the problem is still there.

solomon

Reaction score
I've had this a few times. When I'm lazy and don't go down from 6th or 5th when I know I'm probably going to come to a standstill and will need to be in 1st. I think I've been breaking fairly hard each time. It's happened 4 or 5 times. Each time I've stopped, I can't see on the display what gear I'm in and stamping on the gear shifter once I've stopped, has no effect. By letting the clutch out and trickling forward, I can then change down and the indicator shows accurately. Another time, I turned the engine off and rocked the bike in gear and that also worked. It hasn't happened for a few hundred k's now because I've stopped being lazy and always change down in plenty of time, but I assume the problem is still there.
Thank you for your comments. I assume this is a feature of the gearbox therefore !!! Strange really. I would just like to say that I first realised this in an emergency braking situation (which I have many of here in Montenegro). I can turn a corner in the mountain and there are rocks on the road or mudslide (during winter). Downshifting is not an option for me in these situations. Have you any idea how or why this happens with the gearbox ? I am not overly concerned per say, but it can be annoying and dangerous when I am trying to get myself off the road before a vehicle comes round the corner behind me and hits the brakes to stop like I had too !!! Greetings to Sydney. A great place !!!

RatHead

Reaction score
all bike gear boxes do this that i have known. if you stop in a high gear, its never straightforward to get it in to first.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's because of the way the gears are cut during manufacturing...
I'm not gonna go into the science of it because we've done this one a few times now lol.
Most bikes do this and it's also the same reason most bikes make that horrible "clunking" sound when put into 1st when stationary. Misscrabstick will be able to give you a more in-depth explanation if you really need it but as I said.. It's been covered before.

solomon

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I did try to find answers on this forum before I posted (clearly I was unsuccessful). This is a first for me, although I have never had to do so many 'emergency stops' as I do here, and this is the first 'non european' bike I have ever owned. I really appreciate your feedback and will adjust my riding accordingly. Many thanks

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
am I missing something here ? why would you ever want to stop with the bike still in 4th , 5th or 6th gear ? :confused:

loneranger

Reaction score
they all do that. I occasionally get it in 3rd tryingto shift down. A few clutch in and out normally sorts it.

MTrider

Reaction score
It's because of the way the gears are cut during manufacturing...
I'm not gonna go into the science of it because we've done this one a few times now lol.
Most bikes do this and it's also the same reason most bikes make that horrible "clunking" sound when put into 1st when stationary. .
That noise is because the wet clutch do not fully disengage, and a motorbike gearbox is not synchronized. It has nothing to do with the way the gear wheels has been made.
On all of my bikes, I have had to "follow the gears down to a standstill", otherwise it is necessary to do some fiddling with the clutch to get to neutral. I think it is perfectly normal. :)

solomon

Reaction score
am I missing something here ? why would you ever want to stop with the bike still in 4th , 5th or 6th gear ? :confused:
In an emergency stop situation, which I have a lot of here in Montenegro on mountain roads !!! This is when I first discovered this gear issue, and I have subsequently replicated this in safer environments !!!