Getting the rear wheel off the ground to setup suspension sag

Dasfergmeister

Reaction score
I'm looking to configure the suspension on my MT09 and in particular I need to setup the sag on the rear

Problem is of course that the mt09 has no centre stand and I need to get the rear wheel off the ground while I set it up

I know there are centre lifts and other such things I could buy, but does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to do this without having to fork out on equipment that I will likely only use once or twice?

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Do you have a trolley jack or similar?

At a push you can get someone to lean the bike over on the side stand to lift the rear wheel off, but it's tricky and precarious.

andz

Reaction score
Surely a paddock stand isn't expensive, how do you lube your chain without a centre stand?

Dasfergmeister

Reaction score
Surely a paddock stand isn't expensive, how do you lube your chain without a centre stand?
I do have a paddock stand but that lifts the back wheel from the centre of the rear hub and that's no use when configuring the sag on the suspension. The rear wheel has to be free from being supported and able to drop to the full extent (sag) of the suspension.

Dasfergmeister

Reaction score
Do you have a trolley jack or similar?

At a push you can get someone to lean the bike over on the side stand to lift the rear wheel off, but it's tricky and precarious.
I do have a trolley jack so I guess I just need to find a point on the bike that won't be damaged by jacking the rear off the ground. Thanks

andz

Reaction score
I do have a paddock stand but that lifts the back wheel from the centre of the rear hub and that's no use when configuring the sag on the suspension. The rear wheel has to be free from being supported and able to drop to the full extent (sag) of the suspension.
of course, that was pretty dumb of me......

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I do have a trolley jack so I guess I just need to find a point on the bike that won't be damaged by jacking the rear off the ground. Thanks
Yeah it's tricky with the exhaust being so big under the sump. I used to jack it from somewhere I could get it under and then shove axle stands under the footpeg mounts or similar. The bike is then pretty stable, but you could get away with it on the jack as long as someone holds the bike to keep it stable.

JohnB

Reaction score
I bought a centre-stand from SW-Motech and use it all the time for working on and cleaning the bike.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Must admit having a centre stand is the ideal solution - having one on the Tracer is great for general maintenance and cleaning. Doesn't affect ground clearance either - have always caught the pegs first so I know it's fine there ;)

andz

Reaction score
What about finding a local workshop with a hoist and sling the bike off the ground?