GIVI quick lock tank bag - Safety warning

Phlewc

Reaction score
I bought a GIVI quick lock tank bag for the Tracer last week and installed it (I think the tank fitting kit is BF 23).

Used it with no load and it was OK, but a couple of days ago I used it loaded and it came off while riding. Did some pushing and pulling and it didn't stay.

I took it back to the place I bought it and apparently somebody else has had the same problem.I am told that Givi are aware that there is an issue.

If this had come off at speed, it could have ended badly.

J.J.B.

Reaction score
I had the same problem, got the BF23 as this is the correct fitting for the Tracer while the BF05 is the one for the standard MT09. The problem is that the height of the ring is not quite sufficient to clear the silly plastic mouldings at the top of the tank and so it doesn't lock on properly. Mine came off numerous times after fitting it yesterday and only the strap on the steering yoke saved it.

Today I fashioned an extra flange from the ring that comes with the bag itself (separate from the BF23) that adds an extra 3-4mm and this does the trick. I cut down and sanded the spare ring to just the base section then added it under the BF23 ring and it fits perfectly, perhaps just 1-2mm rise above the plastic moulding. Definitely an oversight from Givi and not unusual for an Italian company to not QC stuff adequately.