Got my 09 today!

qual

Reaction score
Hey all !

just got my red 09 today

first impressions,

so light and easy to ride,

gearbox is the worst ive ever felt and ive had some shitters, hoping its a new bike thing.

whines in 6th like a bitch , will check chain but would hope garage did that ??

so if your in SE kent and see me about give me a wave

Adam

chump

Reaction score
welcome in.

doubt the dealer checked the chain - they're all overtight from new.

my gearbox is no worse than any other, but check your left side footrest. mine was bent down when I got the bike and that made gearchanges very rough. replaced under warranty at first service..

Tracer Dave

Reaction score
Yes, check your chain, mine was ridiculously tight, slacken the chain so you have at least 20-30mm of play, up and down.

highlander

Reaction score
Welcome to MT-09 ownership!
6th gear whine is normal, apparently the way the gears are cut or some such (inside the engine is all black magic to me!). I was a little worried until after reading forums - various whines and noises seem to be de rigueur on this bike.
However my gearbox (2000 miles on it) is peachy, so do investigate that!

qual

Reaction score
Thanks guys, looked at the chain and its actually not bad with me on it, glad to hear the odd noise or two is pretty normal , looking forward to getting some miles done asap,

too many mods wanted , not enough money !

chump

Reaction score
could also be your boots................. I wore a new pair of boots for the first time on the MT today, and the gearchange was really bad. It got better towards the end of the ride though.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
If and when you do decide to check/adjust the chain be very very careful you do not damage the adjusting blocks, they are alloy and when tightening the axle nut back up it may try and rotoate a bit thereby damaging the blocks.

qual

Reaction score
Oh that doesnt sound good ! chocolate chain adjusters? whats the solution then, is its just dont over torque the wheel etc ?

chump

Reaction score
billet adjusters or take lots of care of tightening the nut

LewFZ1

Reaction score
The destruction manual also says the free play on the chain should be 5mm/15mm and the torque for the axle nut is 150 nm. Personally I would not have 5mm/15mm slack on my chain more like 20/25mm for me and again I would not be torquing the axle nut to 150nm more like 100/120 absolute max

qual

Reaction score
ok cool, now i would always trust you guys over a book so i will take onboard thee advice, but why dont yamaha issue a stament saying its wrong ? surely having a chain that tight can ciase real problem, and the torque thing well ive just looked at my rear wheel and the nearside adjust thing has a couple of little almost what look like dents in them. and the spindle thing isnt 100% flush against the block, sorry guys im not very mechanically skilled with my descriptions..., should i just get some proper adjusters and get the deealer to fit them, ?

Adam

chump

Reaction score
The adjuster blocks get dented because of the poor fit you describe.

According to Yamaha the figures are correct so they will not be issuing a statement saying it's wrong.

qual

Reaction score
ah so its not technically dangerous but it just seems a bit much the figures they quote.

what chain adjusters should i go for can you recommend?