Have I done the right thing?

Peggerz

Reaction score
Hi to all,

After going to have a pair of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's fitted to my 7600 miles 2011 Triumph Speed Triple yesterday (30-05-15) whilst they were being fitted I wondered off around the bike shop to kill some time.......

So after a little while of killing time I've brought a Blazing Orange MT09 on a 64 plate with only 847 miles on the clock, ignoring the £300 I've just waisted on some tyres I got a deal of my speed and £400 to ride out on the MT09.
I can not fault my Speed 1050 for looks and performance, is there anyone that's owned both bikes mentioned or at least rode both for many miles to tell me the big question, have I done the right thing?

Regards Blazing Peggerz

CT/

Reaction score
Welcome to the Dark Side Peggerz, all though I havnt had a Speed T I can say that allthough their about 15bhp more than the 09 their also quite abit heavier, the MT will be allot more flickable, an is a wicked machine,,,,,, sum 1 should be allong shortly who's had both machines,,,,,, enjoy it on the Dark Side Peggerz :)

stevecbr

Reaction score
I've ridden the Speed Triple a few times, but never got on with it, found it to big and heavy, and a little uninspiring.
The MT is the opposite, light and small(ish), great fun for hooning about on.
For me the MT is a much better bike, and suits me for how I ride and what I want out of a bike

Mat Still

Reaction score
There was a discussion on here somewhere about the Street triple and the mt09, the general consensus is that the engine in the mt09 is a beauty, but its let down by its suspension..... but theres plenty of people who've upgraded it and says its amazing!

Have a play and tell us what you think, as the Speed is on my list for next.....

JT09

Reaction score
Hi to all,

After going to have a pair of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's fitted to my 7600 miles 2011 Triumph Speed Triple yesterday (30-05-15) whilst they were being fitted I wondered off around the bike shop to kill some time.......

So after a little while of killing time I've brought a Blazing Orange MT09 on a 64 plate with only 847 miles on the clock, ignoring the £300 I've just waisted on some tyres I got a deal of my speed and £400 to ride out on the MT09.
I can not fault my Speed 1050 for looks and performance, is there anyone that's owned both bikes mentioned or at least rode both for many miles to tell me the big question, have I done the right thing?

Regards Blazing Peggerz

Hey Buddy.

Yup I've had both. Happier with the MT. Main reasons for not liking the Speed as much were mainly to do with the huge weight and stupid steering lock. Although it has some serious shove and nice creamy delivery sometimes the weight spoiled the fun. It was a chore to move around and get in out of the garage etc etc. That couple with the steering lock meant it could sometimes feel a little clumsy and uninspiring to get out and have a quick blast.

The MT is definately more agile and far quicker to turn in. However the Speed definately felt more planted at Higher speeds and more stable mid turn. It would be seriously close but I think the MT 09 would have it beat on roll acceleration and corner exiting. There is only a very minor defecit in power which is easily made up fr with a MASSIVE 50+kg weight difference and shorter gearing. This would be like riding the MT around with a permanent small pillion.

The MT also feels a little more urgent on the throttle and the lightness makes it feel agile and engaging.

Lets break it down

ENGINE & GEARING - MT09 Close but the MT just pips it becuase of its short gearing

STABILITY - Speed Triple

HANDLING - Draw (MT faster and agile but the Speed has better composure)

PRICE - MT09 No contest

COMFORT - MT09 (Better position and far easier to manuvoure)

VALUE FOR MONEY - MT09 no contest

LOOKS
- SPEED TRIPLE

MT09 = 5 Speed Triple = 3

Looks are totally subjective. I love the brutish charm of the Speed but in the Orange and Deep Armour schemes with the asymetrical stripe hmmmmmm lovely.

Well there is my two pence.

I wont go off on one though but I am now totally Tiumph averse. I have owned three and all of which have been riddled with problems. Electrical failures, cam chains, seized valves, gearbox failure. Honestly I could go on and on. but I will never own another,.

YOU MADE A GREAT CHOICE :)

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi mate and welcome to the dark side
I think you've done the right thing.
There's plenty of info on the forum for how to upgrade the bike (ECU flash and suspension mods)
but wether you do them or not, let us know how you get on

Peggerz

Reaction score
MT update

Well thanks for input, I did the deal, I road my 2011 Triumph 1050 Speed (7500 miles) with loud mivv exhaust to the bike shop, traded it in and rode the standard MT away...... First impression was how small it felt, I think that was to do more with the smaller offset clocks and barely seen fly screen looking out onto the open road, then next thing that didn't hit me was how quite it was after getting straight off the mivv clad speed, at motorway speed you couldn't here anything on the MT other than wind, back on to the twisty roads and feeling like I've got an engine strapped to a bouncy castle with the untouched suspension settings, so it was straight home for some fiddling with the suspension.
Second ride out was better with the handling adjusted front and rear to how good you can get with yamaha std suspension, I managed another 50 miles and couldn't bear the silence anymore so I've strapped a carbon Akrapovic racing line without cat to it which put a big grin across my face, added some new short levers and its feeling better,
I'm just about to email Simon for the ecu flash to get done next.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Nice one! Its amazing how small and light it feels after riding something else isn't it?

Personally I'm liking the quietness. The induction noise is enough to make me smile while any busybodies up the road cant hear me hooning around the countryside....:eek:

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Well thanks for input, I did the deal, I road my 2011 Triumph 1050 Speed (7500 miles) with loud mivv exhaust to the bike shop, traded it in and rode the standard MT away...... First impression was how small it felt, I think that was to do more with the smaller offset clocks and barely seen fly screen looking out onto the open road, then next thing that didn't hit me was how quite it was after getting straight off the mivv clad speed, at motorway speed you couldn't here anything on the MT other than wind, back on to the twisty roads and feeling like I've got an engine strapped to a bouncy castle with the untouched suspension settings, so it was straight home for some fiddling with the suspension.
Second ride out was better with the handling adjusted front and rear to how good you can get with yamaha std suspension, I managed another 50 miles and couldn't bear the silence anymore so I've strapped a carbon Akrapovic racing line without cat to it which put a big grin across my face, added some new short levers and its feeling better,
I'm just about to email Simon for the ecu flash to get done next.
Hi Peggerz... Sound awesome with that can... What part of the midlands u from.... me.. DY2

Peggerz

Reaction score
Nice one! Its amazing how small and light it feels after riding something else isn't it?

Personally I'm liking the quietness. The induction noise is enough to make me smile while any busybodies up the road cant hear me hooning around the countryside....:eek:
Yes felt so small compared to the Triumph and before that I had a YZF1000 so I like bigger bikes, but getting used to this one now, it's a nice bike and the engine feels strong.