Headstock stand

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Does anyone use a headstock stand with their MT? I bought one from M&P Direct but its not long enough to lift the wheel off the floor.

If you have one and it lifts the wheel clear of the floor, what one are you using?

Cheers!

bobh

Reaction score
I did consider one - the M&P one in fact, when they had a special offer -so I'm glad I didn't buy it!

But as I already had an Abba stand I got their front wheel lift adapter instead, which works well, and also means I can do steering head bearings, which you can't with a front stand.

The only thing I don't like about the Abba kit is the strap that they supply for pulling the rear wheel down, which only has a friction buckle - I prefer to use a ratchet strap as it's easier and, in my opinion, safer.

Luke_Price

Reaction score
I did consider one - the M&P one in fact, when they had a special offer -so I'm glad I didn't buy it!

But as I already had an Abba stand I got their front wheel lift adapter instead, which works well, and also means I can do steering head bearings, which you can't with a front stand.

The only thing I don't like about the Abba kit is the strap that they supply for pulling the rear wheel down, which only has a friction buckle - I prefer to use a ratchet strap as it's easier and, in my opinion, safer.
I have an ABBA stand, too. Similar to what you said, I wasn't too sure about a simple strap to hold the front of the bike and having to remove the paddock stand bobbin everytime. (I use a normal paddock stand just for lubing my chain, much quicker)

But again like you said, I can do everything at the front end including headstock bearings if I buy the ABBA add on.

bobh

Reaction score
I have an ABBA stand, too. Similar to what you said, I wasn't too sure about a simple strap to hold the front of the bike and having to remove the paddock stand bobbin everytime. (I use a normal paddock stand just for lubing my chain, much quicker)

But again like you said, I can do everything at the front end including headstock bearings if I buy the ABBA add on.
I agree - a normal paddock stand using bobbins is the quickest way for lubing the chain etc.

It's not necessary to remove the bobbins to use the Abba front lift kit though. Yes, Abba will sell you some extended bobbin things, but actually you can put the strap round the ones you've got, unless they're very tiny. In which case put the strap around the swing arm (which is what you have to do on a bike without bobbin attachment holes, such as the MT-07). I guess you could also use somewhere like the pillion rests - I don't see why it has to be on the unsprung part of the bike.

Kinjane

Reaction score
I put the bike on the centre stand and then jam some chipboard shelving either side of the bike up under my R&G frame protectors to keep the front end suspended off the ground :)

Ideal for a simple tyre change or a complete front end strip down.

just have to make sure I put all the crockery back in the same place afterwards after I've finished with the shelves and no one is the wiser.

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I usually get a team of umpalumpas to lift up the bike while I work on it and they move round me so I don't have to get off my fat arse

Casey

Reaction score
Does anyone use a headstock stand with their MT? I bought one from M&P Direct but its not long enough to lift the wheel off the floor.

If you have one and it lifts the wheel clear of the floor, what one are you using?

Cheers!
I've got the same problem, shame as I like the ease of using this stand

chump

Reaction score
Abba stand and a trolley jack under the headers to get the front off the ground.

highlander

Reaction score
One trailer/lorry ratchet strap each under headstock and through passenger footpegs. Up and over joist in the garage, ratchet it up to preferred height each end. Can't fall over even if Tom & Jerry level of chaos ensues.

BUT do NOT leave it like this for any length of time (overnight), there is a minuscule chance ratchets can slip under stress over time

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have the M&P headstock stand, as yes it is to short for the MT, I just have a couple of old paving slabs, one each side of the front wheel, and it works a treat.