Back suspension is 2 from max hard
Front 3 rings showing and 6 clicks out

Tyre pressures 36/42

Alignment ok

Took guards off but still the same

It goes mental within about 3 seconds of taking hands off bars,

Tried it with max preloads etc its the same ,
Cant feel anything through the brake lever,

Really putting a downer on my new bike !

Any ideas please

donut

Reaction score
Heres a quick poor quality vid

Mt09 tracer wobble - YouTube

Back suspension is 2 from max hard
Front 3 rings showing and 6 clicks out

Tyre pressures 36/42

Alignment ok

Took guards off but still the same

It goes mental within about 3 seconds of taking hands off bars,

Tried it with max preloads etc its the same ,
Cant feel anything through the brake lever,

Really putting a downer on my new bike !

Any ideas please

Could try keeping at least one hand on the bars.

steve-a

Reaction score
I would suggest that you get it to a competent mechanic in the first instance as that is not great, you mention new bike, how long have you had it and did you buy private or via a dealer, contact the previous owner and ask if they were popping wheelies all the time or if it was in an accident.
Otherwise I would get the front wheel checked for true, has it been whacked and is bent or otherwise damaged, could also get it balanced.
Is there any play in the headstock, are the suspension / forks aligned properly?
When on the centre stand is there any lateral movement in the forks?

BTW I am not a mechanic and would seriously get it checked by a professional

qual

Reaction score
Yea thanks , it had 1700 miles on it , it came from a member on here , doesnt show any signs of damage and i dont believe he was a wheelie king ! I will get it looked at as ive been riding 20 years and always been confident with my bikes but this one not so much ! Im sure its nothing major but im a bit stumped as its almost new

tezzer

Reaction score
It was mine and it only ever popped one 3" high wheelie. Never noticed any low speed instability, only beyond 115 when it weaved like a pig on a stick.

tezzer

Reaction score
Just watched the video.....that was horrible and never saw anything like that in the 1st 1700 miles.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
It was mine and it only ever popped one 3" high wheelie. Never noticed any low speed instability, only beyond 115 when it weaved like a pig on a stick.
So, the bike is OK !
a fast check of rear wheel alignment is first priority.
My bike is a solid rock at 225km since i stop trust the rear swing-arm lines.
Here something is crooked... transmision sprockets or brake pads/disks or wheel bearings, as the symptom appears when closing throttle.

robin

Reaction score
Most bikes will do that, de accelerating from about 50.
Cause could be anything from front to back, tyres, pressures bearings, or anything in between. It won't do it accelerating or on a constant speed/revs!
Don't take your hands off the bars!

If it's only done 1700 miles it's not been far enough to run out of guarantee. Take it back to a dealer!

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
My mechanic said that he had experienced the same problem at a t-max with new tyres and was caused from the front tyre which was crooked. So, you have to check if your front tyre is crooked for some reason..
Another cause could be from wrong rear wheel alignment after correcting chain slack.

stevecbr

Reaction score
has it thrown a front wheel balance weight? I'd recheck all the bolts in the front end, just in case something has come loose. Are both fork preloads at the same height?

V8legend

Reaction score
Mine does it on the overrun from about 40ish, but only if I let go of the bars. I found out when trying to do up a pocket zip. I suspect that other bikes do it too, but no-one else lets go of the bars completely. I had a similar thing with my F800GS.

qual

Reaction score
Well i have had over 20 bikes from brand new to old shitters and never ever had anything like it , and always been able to sit up and stretch and take hand off bars, so fair play to those of you that never do ,but a bike should be stable in my opinion and experiance , but thats just me , anyway im not asking for a debate on that , but just some help on the problem.

So i have looked at the bars/fork alignment from above and if line the 2 little notches up on the headstock then the wheel points to the right a bit , so i thought great thats the problem !!

I googled for alignment and followed a great easy to follow vid on youtube where i slackened off

Wheel
Pinch bolt
Fender
Calipers
Lower clamps
Big nut in middle

Bounced up and down as in the vid hoping to see the right result but sadly nothing moved or changed , so checked again all bolts cracked loose and bounced some more but still nothing.

Torqued all back up but its still out of alignment .

Is there a more technical way to go about doing it ?

Thanks

Davy

Reaction score
never done it myself but Delboy's Garage on youtube has a recent video.

[video=youtube_share;pNEmOqY02EU]https://youtu.be/pNEmOqY02EU[/video]

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Bike not been in a crash ??, if your having this problem with only 1700 miles on the clock then something must be seriously wrong, new tyres don't usually do this

tezzer

Reaction score
I'm still not sure about this. It was my bike, and it never exhibited any of these symptoms, was never dropped, crashed, wheelied or abused in the 1650 miles II had it from new.

The only thing that occurs to me is that something was pulled out of shape when it was strapped into the van. The courier, was / is very new to this, and turned up with a big van and a scaffold board. I went off and got a proper loading ramp, and a spare pair if hands.

We got the bike in, and the courier asked for it to be left on the side stand, nose into the bulkhead and then we left him to it. I wonder if he's put too much strain on whatever lashing points he used, handlebars ? Dunno, and had bent something ?

Just a theory..............

qual

Reaction score
Yes my thoughts too now i can see that its out of alignment , but i did what it said in the video but its not worked which is what i cant understand ..

I guess if i make sure the bike cant drop that its ok to undo the top fork clamps aswell and move everything as it should all be free to align

deadb0y

Reaction score
Mine was doing this until I tightened up the head bearings!

Listen for clicks from the headset, especially on rough ground with a passenger.

It's quite an easy job, I had to do them up real tight to get rid of the wobble, make sure you bars still swing freely from side to side when on the centre stand!

Last edited: