Question How to sell a road going motorcycle privately without someone stealing it?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I've sold plenty of off-road bikes in the past but I now have to part with my absolute stunner of an MT09 so wondering how to conduct a private sale without the risk of someone just riding off on it because a potential buyer will surely want to test ride it? It's easy to say "no test rides without cash in hand first" or whatever but does that actually work in practice, especially if a bank transfer is involved rather than cash.

I don't want it to go to a dealer because it's got some very nice choice performance upgrades on it that won't be appreciated by a dealer and would very much be appreciated by a private buyer and I'm not buying another bike.

Last edited:

stevecbr

Reaction score
When i have sold bikes I decide when they arrive if I will allow a test ride. If they pull up in my drive and seem OK, and they leave their car or even their partner/mate with me, then I am faitly happy to let them take it out (I also have CCTV in my drive so they are recorded)
If a group of lads turn up or someone parks round the corner and just walk round, then no, they do not get a test ride.
Some people just seem dodgy, or clearly just want to take it for a spin, they can always go pillion and that way they will know if the gears all work, the clutch doesnt slip etc