Ignition key cover / top turns separate to barrel

CaptainVallo

Reaction score
The Tracer ignition key cover (the silver part that is visible) is loose and rotates freely.

This means that it can easily become unaligned with the main barrel of the locking mechanism.

So to align, one has to insert key a mm or so and rotate till it lines up to allow key to be fully inserted.

is this normal?

I can't recall ever coming across this before

Thanks

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Mine doesn't do that, and as you say, never had it do it on a bike previously.

Sounds like it's come loose, if it's still under warranty I'd maybe take it in and see if they can repair it.

CaptainVallo

Reaction score

Sounds like it's come loose, if it's still under warranty I'd maybe take it in and see if they can repair it.
Interestingly, just after I posted this, the bike shop emailed me regarding a separate topic, but i asked the question, see reply ......

Yes it is normal for this cover to be able to rotate separately from the main ignition barrel. I've checked on our showroom bikes and can also confirm that this is not the case on your Triumph. Honda's Kawasaki's and Suzuki's all do it too. Just one of those things.

interesting.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
That's a new one on me - will check mine at some point, maybe it just sits in place and I've never had to realign it.

deadb0y

Reaction score

Mine does and so has every other bike I've ever had.. I think it's a feature.. Turn it to limit water ingress and lock icing!

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Well well, I just went and checked mine as this has intrigued me, and it really is 'loose'.

Its spring loaded slightly so it doesn't just easily spin, but with the key only just inside the top ring it spins freely.

So there you go, it really is normal :)