Is it just me? The Akrapovic chronicles

pipski99

Reaction score
Hi all my fellow MT fans, long time since I've stopped by.

Well I've finally taken the plunge and splashed the cash on an aftermarket exhaust and as much as I wanted to save money and go with the Akra carbon racing line, I also wanted to stay legal and get a certified legal system so went with the Akra titanium system.

Now I was never going to pay the full retail price as it's barmy in my opinion spending £1047 on an exhaust (including the cat insert) when the bike was under £7000. Maybe it's the Yorkshire in me showing through but that just didn't make sense.

When Yamaha stuck the knife in recently and announce all new purchases of an MT-09 would include the Akra titanium system FREE OF CHARGE I thought it was worth a shot at emailing Yamaha customer services to ask if there was to be any concession for those of us who bought the bike back in November 2013 soon after first release, when the Akra system was on a 4 month plus back order. Turns out it wasn't worth the time I took to send the email as they just said no.

Next plan: Watch ebay for a cheap system going for sale, hopefully still in the box, from somebody who bought the bike, got the system included free but didn't want it - could happen couldn't it? Well yes it did! Akra titanium system, in the box with a buy it now price of £800 and it's in Keighley, West Yorkshire only a few miles from where I live so I took a moment to message the seller with an offer which they accepted and I went and picked it up and paid the cash and now it's mine, all mine! Sorry if you were one of the people watching it on ebay but I jumped at it and beat you.

Time to fit it and after watching the obligatory YouTube "How to" video I set about it. First off removing the nuts from the headers - 6 in total and 4 of them came off no problem but both the nuts on cylinder 2 (the middle one) pulled out the stud from the engine so I tried to free the nuts off to refit the studs but no joy - they're seized on.

Been to my dealer in Keighley today to order 2 studs, 2 nuts and a set of 3 gaskets but they don't have them in stock and would be 2-3 days to arrive. I'm actually going away for 2 weeks on Wednesday morning so didn't bother ordering them as no point having them sat at the Keighley dealer for 2 weeks waiting. What I plan to do is find my local dealer while I'm way on holiday (in Rye, East Sussex) and order them down there then pick them up and bring them back with me to fit.

So the bike is sat in the garage, all chained up and secure but with no exhaust on as I decided to carry on removing the old exhaust completely.

I know it's my own fault the centre 2 nuts were seized on as I hadn't made sure to clean the road crap and salt off there thoroughly enough but had cleaned the outside cylinders 1 and 3 so they came off freely so I didn't get to play out with the Akra before my holiday. It will give me something to look forward to when I get back though so let the good times roll!

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
Just to rub salt in the wound, you should have taken your bike to Rye. Great area for biking.
On Sunday have a walk along to the Strand Quay Café, there will be loads of bikes :)
I'll be there if its dry!!

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Rye is nice, and I love the road from Rye to Dungeness, it's about 40/50 miles from me, ridden it a few times though, on both my Honda Pan European and my MT09.

pipski99

Reaction score
Rye is my 2nd home - I split my time between 2 weeks in Rye and 2 weeks in Bradford each month - have been half living there for the past 8 years and I do need to get my bike down to Rye but I have no garage at my flat in Rye so it's not secure overnight. I will do it one day though. Just a shame I'd have to fill up twice on the way there and twice on the way back as only a 150 mile (ish) range to the tank.

pipski99

Reaction score
Rye is nice, and I love the road from Rye to Dungeness, it's about 40/50 miles from me, ridden it a few times though, on both my Honda Pan European and my MT09.
I love Rye and Dungeness and often drive the road through Camber and Lydd as it's a lovely drive. I'd love to live in Dungeness in one of the beach huts out of the way of everybody with just me and the 2 headed radioactive fish from the nuclear plant next door :)

pipski99

Reaction score
Ordered 2 studs, 2 nuts and 3 exhaust gaskets today from Alford Brothers in Folkestone. Normally 2-3 days to arrive but thanks to the immigrant trouble causers in Calais they're saying a week now. Thanks immigrants, oh and for the fact my journey from Rye to Folkestone and back was crap because the M20 is closed and all the other main roads in the area are blocked with diverted traffic.

Swagger

Reaction score
... I love Rye and Dungeness ... I'd love to live in Dungeness in one of the beach huts out of the way of everybody with just me and the 2 headed radioactive fish from the nuclear plant next door ...
Whoa! That just awakened some latent shit within me. My first job was on the Dungeness B station. I lived in the New Inn in New Romney ... got absolutely wasted in the Pilot one night and forgot how to get home ... ended up staying in one of those cabins ... The Sanctuary I think it was ... very accommodating hippie chick used to live in it. Those days of pure irresponsibility formed the man I am today!

pipski99

Reaction score
My first job was on the Dungeness B station.
My mrs's ex used to work in B station too and she's always lived in Rye, Winchelsea or around the local area. We went via Dungeness today then Great Stone, Little Stone, New Romney, Dymchurch and on to Folkestone to avoid the M20 silliness.

Spent the whole journey wishing I was on my MT instead of in my Saab.