Is the ABS available in the USA yet ?

marksim

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the MT-09 "FZ-09" ABS is available in the USA yet.
Just wanting them to hurry up and sort the Aftermarket ECU Flash out.
Just being impatient but as soon as it is Simon will be able to do his thing.

flipper

Reaction score
It does mot appear to be available as a 2015 model. Maybe next year.....

MadGelo

Reaction score
There are plenty of videos on youtube of people crashing by locking front wheel. Not sure why Americans dont like safety

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
if your a track rider or v fast road dont bother with abs you will be slower.
Why? They aren't linked, like some systems. Front and rear work independently from what I can gather. So you can still use the rear brake the same as you would normally to settle the suspension in corner. The only time the ABS does anything is as the wheel is about to lock. It is true that an experienced racer, on a track they know very well, can brake a little shorter than ABS. But for 90% of riders, this isn't true.

flipper

Reaction score
There are plenty of videos on youtube of people crashing by locking front wheel. Not sure why Americans dont like safety
it's their freedom of choice to be unsafe. and you can't take that away from them..................

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sir William Gibson the famous Scottish king from Australia.

Ps apols for yet another hijacked thread. I need banned

Can I have a few weeks in Lanzarote for Christmas this year please.
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

marthy

Reaction score
Pro or con is a matter of choice I guess. Cars of today are light years ahead safer than 20 years ago. People still crash just as much... if not more. Driver aids doesn't make up for poor driving skills... they just gives poor driver a false sense of safety and rely of electronic widget instead of developing proper skills.

We have few bikes that comes with a
ABS. No abs is better than poor budget abs IMO. LOL

MadGelo

Reaction score
Pro or con is a matter of choice I guess. Cars of today are light years ahead safer than 20 years ago. People still crash just as much... if not more. Driver aids doesn't make up for poor driving skills... they just gives poor driver a false sense of safety and rely of electronic widget instead of developing proper skills.

We have few bikes that comes with a
ABS. No abs is better than poor budget abs IMO. LOL
Without looking up the numbers, I am sure that while people might be crashing, more of them survive too, due to all the safety measures.

I am 99% sure that if my bike didn't have ABS, i would have had a rather bad crash, as I managed to lock(activate ABS) my front wheel at rather high speed, due to unexpected situation, therefore I am grateful that bikes in Europe have them.

Is ABS on MT 09 a budget one? Worked for me (sure it is not advanced BMW one that measure leaning angles and what not), but surely it is better than nothing. does it impede you on the street ? it is better to have budget protective clothing that turning into a squid.
IMO :)

flipper

Reaction score
budget ABS? is it different to other jap motorbike ABS?

Last edited:

marksim

Reaction score
i didnt really have a choice with my bike having the ABS as i bought it 2nd hand for a good price and it came with it.
If i was to buy new i probably would of choose not to have it as ive never had it before.
I do know that ive activated it several times and to be honest i think its set on the safe side.
If i was to put this bike on track i know that it would hinder me and make me slower,i often lock the front up on my R6 trackbike and as long as your not right over you get away with it.
In all i suppose for a road bike its a good thing as its aimed at all sort of riders with different experience and ability.
For me this year im going to see how it goes with the mods ive done to the brakes but if i cant get on with it ill just bypass it and go back to normal and remove the ABS unit.

RatHead

Reaction score
budget ABS? is it different to other jap motorbike ABS?
To add to this I would imagine the ABS control unit is manufactured for Yamaha by a component manufacturer such as Continental or Bosch who will also supply the European bike manufacturers.

Come 2016 it will be law that all new bikes must have it in the UK.

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
It isn't a matter of lack of braking skill, but rather the highly changeable conditions that you get on the road. For a road bike bike, ABS is a great idea. Often in summer, I'll ride home in a tropical storm. It can be raining one minute, then suddenly absolutely teeming down. One a 3 lane highway, with cars all around and vision suddenly becoming non existent, on roads covered by running water, ABS adds a little extra control.

lee1980

Reaction score
As Colin said above, is reason I got it, as ride all year round and weather is so unpredictable even in UK. I think if it was a pleasure weekend bike I would do with out it. For me on previous bikes it has helped me save it when someones pulled out suddenly but only when doing like 30mph or less. On my cbr500 with ABS, coming down from high speed I am sure the abs would kick in when braking very hard.

I never had it before either in previous 15 years of riding and did ok, riding daily in all weathers didnt have many offs at all.

Added complexity not so good either but at least as shown on here braided lines can be added though more cost etc.

Last edited: