Is the Tracer 900 as good as they say

Littlebruv

Reaction score
After I joined this forum some things reported are about change.
We all like to customise our bikes to our own individual needs but somethings are expensive to correct the bike's mistakes ie spluttering issues at low revs.
The rider seat is a pain after 45 minutes of riding, forks too soft and dive under braking, screen is crap, OE tyres are an experience in wet weather and it appears the main problem appears to be the eurocat 4 emission law.
Most things are just down to common sense and safe riding, push the tyres too hard in the wet and problems will arise. I have had my 2017 Tracer now for about 2 months with 1200 miles on the clocks, changed the seat for a Sargent seat, fitted a Givi rack and top box and in the full process of fitting a Palmer product screen, all things for a little creature comfort, but even with it's faults it's still an excellent all rounder bike in my point of view and any problems I just try to adapt my style of riding and ride round most of them.
Whatever your views about the Tracer I hope it still puts a big smile on your face

MT10SP

Reaction score
The only thing I found a problem on the Tracer was the screen, other than that I think it's great. I haven't found be the seat or suspension to be a problem.

Shaun64

Reaction score
for the first 500 mile my seat was painful but after that it's been very good, last week I did leeds to Ullapool in the day and seat was excellent so I think the seat just needs breaking in.the screen shite but every bike I buy I end up changing the screen,I've changed my chain adjusters for Gilles ones which are a big improvement as the standard ones are poor.i agree the suspension is not as bad as some magazines would have you believe but I've done mine as it's made a big difference and I plan to keep the bike as there's nothing to touch it regards all round ability it's a cracking bike.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Littlebruv, I've never had that stutter you talk about or heard anyone else mention it maybe you have a minor fault on your tracers.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
apparently the splutter or popping is when at the lower rev band, I have noticed it do to the sound but who really keeps the revs between 2 & 4 thousands

andz

Reaction score
I am on the brink of buying one, I rode it for the first time on Thursday.

The only thing that worried me was the infamous speed wobble, I tried everything I had read about what induces the wobble but couldn't get it to even wriggle.

I have a list a mile long of things I want to do to it when I get it.....

Unfazed

Reaction score
I got 138 on the autobhan (for an extended period) last month and no problems at all.

Can't say it was comfortable though!

ib1-2

Reaction score
I am on the brink of buying one, I rode it for the first time on Thursday.

The only thing that worried me was the infamous speed wobble, I tried everything I had read about what induces the wobble but couldn't get it to even wriggle.

I have a list a mile long of things I want to do to it when I get it.....
I wouldn't worry about the wobble. Unless you're wringing it's neck all the time it's as stable as any other. Just come back from a 600 mile trip to the Lakes with barely there road surfaces as well as good tarmac roads and never had an issue despite excessive speeds.

Pug

Reaction score
Hi All, I have had my Tracer since Jan/2016 and only bought it to upgrade my bike to travel on and carry a pillion, which it does both jobs quite well.
But, the standard Dunlop tyres are rubbish, in the dangerous category. The suspension is not much better having not enough rebound either end and the front with no compression dampening allowing it to dive and wallow
all over the place. The centre stand grinds away just going to the shops as do the hero knobs. The seating arrangement for a tourer is crap as is the screen and adjustment mechanism.
Thats the major problem list, there are others, but these can be overcome as were discovered when doing a test ride. I worked out a plan to rectify these before buying the bike.
I put on a set of Metzlers, a fully adjustable Wilbers rear shock, Andreani front cartridges, a MRA small screen, dumped the centre stand and hero knobs, fitted the comfort seat.
All works a treat except the comfort seat, still crappy. Took six months to track down all the annoying panel vibration sounds from the mostly useless plastic front.
And in the end I have a bike I love to ride that is comfortable to travel on in regards to ergonomics, not the seat, and it will last me a long long time, I hope.
One other thing worthy of mention is the heated grip kit. Easy to fit and very intelligent regarding setting up and the range of adjustment, better than every other setup I have seen including BMW.
I wanted a relatively lightweight sub 1000cc Jap bike to be comfortable on, travel on, carry pillion etc. But it had to have a motor with character and midrange usable power. Tiger 800 was uninspiring, VFR is a heavyweight that does not need VTEC.
Had to have 17" wheels to have good rubber, so it fits the bill really, just dump the suspension,tyres, centre stand and knobs and I forgot those useless hand guards, bike is much more stable without them.
Cheers.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Sometimes I think doing any of the upgrades to suit anyone's own style of riding almost makes me feel like I have an Harley Davidson !!.

Gruffalo

Reaction score
Hi All, I have had my Tracer since Jan/2016 and only bought it to upgrade my bike to travel on and carry a pillion, which it does both jobs quite well.
But, the standard Dunlop tyres are rubbish, in the dangerous category. The suspension is not much better having not enough rebound either end and the front with no compression dampening allowing it to dive and wallow
all over the place. The centre stand grinds away just going to the shops as do the hero knobs. The seating arrangement for a tourer is crap as is the screen and adjustment mechanism.
Thats the major problem list, there are others, but these can be overcome as were discovered when doing a test ride. I worked out a plan to rectify these before buying the bike.
I put on a set of Metzlers, a fully adjustable Wilbers rear shock, Andreani front cartridges, a MRA small screen, dumped the centre stand and hero knobs, fitted the comfort seat.
All works a treat except the comfort seat, still crappy. Took six months to track down all the annoying panel vibration sounds from the mostly useless plastic front.
And in the end I have a bike I love to ride that is comfortable to travel on in regards to ergonomics, not the seat, and it will last me a long long time, I hope.
One other thing worthy of mention is the heated grip kit. Easy to fit and very intelligent regarding setting up and the range of adjustment, better than every other setup I have seen including BMW.
I wanted a relatively lightweight sub 1000cc Jap bike to be comfortable on, travel on, carry pillion etc. But it had to have a motor with character and midrange usable power. Tiger 800 was uninspiring, VFR is a heavyweight that does not need VTEC.
Had to have 17" wheels to have good rubber, so it fits the bill really, just dump the suspension,tyres, centre stand and knobs and I forgot those useless hand guards, bike is much more stable without them.
Cheers.
Thanks for the write up Pug, I picked up some good points.

I'm looking at buying a Tracer, but the more I look at it the more I think I'm going to have to sink some serious cash into it to get it to my liking. I've now had 2 rides on the Tracer and I'm not totally decided yet. A few issues like the hard seat, the footrests slightly too rearward (due to sticking out engine part on RHS), and slightly too tall for me (not that I'm a small guy just under 6' but I like my feet flat on ground). Small fairing, with mirrors on handlebars. I really think the normal headers are ugly (the aftermarket ones look much better) the colour options are not great either (over here its only black, blue or that dark green, uurggh). Unfortunately I don't have money to spare so the only extra's will probably be a rack and heated grips. About 10 years ago I had a set of the Dunlops on my new FZ6 and they were aweful in the wet, and as I ride all year around I might get these changed.

fazers1

Reaction score
All I have to add to this is dont buy a 2017 one as you cant change the co settings in the dash and you cant flash the ecu (yet)So the fuelling is horrendous.I traded my Hayabusa in for this 2017 tracer .The busa fuelling was smooth as butter compared to the tracer.How Yamaha can be allowed to sell a bike with this awful throttle response is beyond me.

Pug

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up Pug, I picked up some good points.

I'm looking at buying a Tracer, but the more I look at it the more I think I'm going to have to sink some serious cash into it to get it to my liking. I've now had 2 rides on the Tracer and I'm not totally decided yet. A few issues like the hard seat, the footrests slightly too rearward (due to sticking out engine part on RHS), and slightly too tall for me (not that I'm a small guy just under 6' but I like my feet flat on ground). Small fairing, with mirrors on handlebars. I really think the normal headers are ugly (the aftermarket ones look much better) the colour options are not great either (over here its only black, blue or that dark green, uurggh). Unfortunately I don't have money to spare so the only extra's will probably be a rack and heated grips. About 10 years ago I had a set of the Dunlops on my new FZ6 and they were aweful in the wet, and as I ride all year around I might get these changed.
I had the same hesitation with buying the Tracer, took me six months to decide Gruffalo.
Perceptions of issues are relevant to what you are accustomed. I have a thing for triples, having owned Speed, Street, MV 675 and 800 triples , so Tracer had a foot in the door there. If it was a four I would probably not even tested it.
As for everyone on about fuelling, it's not bad if you like riding MV's like I do, but if you come off a 900 Hornet you will think its crap. Character is something you cannot ignore, Yamaha has the best range of bikes for this out of all.
Take the Mt 07, 09 and 10, all are great fun to ride because of the motor. Apart from the 10, the suspension is crap, but still they put a smile on your face.
A while back I swapped my MV 800 to ride a tricked up Blade on our mountain range favourite road and could not wait to swap back. It was fast, stable, good brakes, handling and everything good you could imagine to describe it
but also it was boring with a capital B.
One thing Gruffalo about the Tracer footpegs, which to me is like sitting on a chair, the pegs for me, could be back a bit. I am just under 6 foot.

Pug

Reaction score
I had the same hesitation with buying the Tracer, took me six months to decide Gruffalo.
Perceptions of issues are relevant to what you are accustomed. I have a thing for triples, having owned Speed, Street, MV 675 and 800 triples , so Tracer had a foot in the door there. If it was a four I would probably not even tested it.
As for everyone on about fuelling, it's not bad if you like riding MV's like I do, but if you come off a 900 Hornet you will think its crap. Character is something you cannot ignore, Yamaha has the best range of bikes for this out of all.
Take the Mt 07, 09 and 10, all are great fun to ride because of the motor. Apart from the 10, the suspension is crap, but still they put a smile on your face.
A while back I swapped my MV 800 to ride a tricked up Blade on our mountain range favourite road and could not wait to swap back. It was fast, stable, good brakes, handling and everything good you could imagine to describe it
but also it was boring with a capital B.
One thing Gruffalo about the Tracer footpegs, which to me is like sitting on a chair, the pegs for me, could be back a bit. I am just under 6 foot.
Sorry I cut myself off there, I was going to say the pegs position when riding quick with balls of feet on pegs is hampered by the centre stand, chuck it away, and the exhaust guard on right hand side needs bending back and then all is much better.
Choose carefully, problem is there are so many good bikes to choose from, we are spoilt really.

Russ Quinlan

Reaction score
This is one of the few bikes I have had since I started riding in 1969 that has needed the least mods other than to 'make it mine'.
Had it just over a year (a 2015 used buy with 800 miles on it) now has 6500 on it and its one of the few bikes we have not changed the seat for, we both think its fine and thats usually the first thing I change.
Other than that,
New Paint job (metallic blue, didn't like the matt) and that was before Yamaha decided to copy me!
Upgraded clutch springs
Givi rack
MRA Screen
Black anodised levers
Scotoiler
Carbon front fender and hugger
Rad Guard
R&G bobbins
Givi Crash bars
Ixill pipes

Mainly all of that to personalise as we do !!

Last edited:

El Bandito

Reaction score
After my first day with my new Tracer and only 100 miles on the clock, apart from the rubbish screen everyone knows, the only problem I have with mine is that I couldn't seem to find 7th gear! Even though I'm strictly keeping to the 5600 rpm running in limit, I lost count of the amount of times I tried for an extra gear. The motor just keeps on pulling. I've been on twins for the last 10 years and loved every minute of them but this motor is something else. It's tremendous. I can't believe how rapid it is compared to my old MT07 even though it's only 150cc bigger. Does 60mpg as well!

Shaun64

Reaction score
After my first day with my new Tracer and only 100 miles on the clock, apart from the rubbish screen everyone knows, the only problem I have with mine is that I couldn't seem to find 7th gear! Even though I'm strictly keeping to the 5600 rpm running in limit, I lost count of the amount of times I tried for an extra gear. The motor just keeps on pulling. I've been on twins for the last 10 years and loved every minute of them but this motor is something else. It's tremendous. I can't believe how rapid it is compared to my old MT07 even though it's only 150cc bigger. Does 60mpg as well!
Is your new tracer better on fuel so far than your mt07? Also my tracer has improved on fuel since the run in period.

El Bandito

Reaction score
IMG_1151.jpg

Shaun,

I managed nearly 60mpg on my MT07 over 6500 miles of quite enthusiastic use ??

MT10SP

Reaction score
I have both and I average 64 mpg on the 07 and 58 mpg on the Tracer 900.

El Bandito

Reaction score
Don't know how accurate the onboard computer is on the Tracer. I got 60mpg over 100 miles mixed town and country at running in speeds yesterday. The computer on the MT07 gave me around 3mpg less than what I actually got logging on Fuelly so if it's the same on the Tracer I'll likely get over 60 actual mpg. How good is that to get great economy and massive performance from the same engine??
Not like back in the day when I got 29.7 mpg over nearly 10000 miles on my 350 LC.