Joining the Yamaha Family

Budo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the Yamaha brand so I'm spamming all the MT-09 forums to get the inside scoop moving forward. The MT-09 is the the 5th bike I've owned in the past ~25 years.

I started with an NSR250R in asia (terrible first bike, but was a hoot), then when I moved to the USA (Texas) I bought a 2001 GSXR 750 and rode that for ~2 years. Moved on to a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 and rode the piss out of it all over the US, covered about 40 states and put ~70k miles on it before selling it in 2014. I went through 1 stator, 2 R/R, and 2 coolant temp sensors on the 675 but other than that it was pretty much the perfect bike. Oh and it's SO EASY to work on.

I didn't ride much from 2012 to 2016 due to work and what not, but bit the bug again and went with a low risk high reward option... Bought a 1998 VFR800 Fi for $2k. Rode that for about 5k miles in the past 5 years which brings us to me purchasing the new MT-09.

Reason for buying the MT-09 is just because I've fallen in love with triples based on my experience with the 675. I love the power delivery character, the slimmer profile, and on the MT-09 particularly I love how spacious the engine layout seems to be. Hoping that it's a breeze to work on. I considered going for the Street Triple instead but the cost and lack of tech (in comparison to the MT-09) made that a second choice pretty quick. The other option was the Trident 660, which I think looks cool as hell... but same on the tech side and I felt like I'd miss the amount of power I've become used to.

Anyway long story short, I plan on commuting on the MT-09 quite a lot and putting on massive miles on touring trips come spring/summer months.

Priority list for aftermarket goodies are:
- Front windscreen to keep the wind off of my body during winter riding
- Luggage (tank bag first, likely SW Motech). I have an old cortech magnetic bag which will work for now though. I'd like some sort of mounted rear saddlebag setup, really like the SW Motech stuff but pricey.....
- Undertail white LED lighting, purely for visibility.
- Some kind of rear hugger just to keep that back end a bit cleaner

One of my first tours:

Looking forward to interacting with y'all here and absorbing as well as sharing info in the future.

Budo

Reaction score
Picked her up today only grabbed one picture at the dealership so far.

First impressions:
- She's NUTS. Specs are comparable to my beloved 675 but the torque is insane and it *feels* like a much faster bike. - Front end has a tendency to get light on any kind of acceleration, going to have to get used to that and shift my riding position a bit.
- The stock seat is a bit shit imho. The forward slope isn't what bothers me, can't quite put my finger on it yet.
- It desperately needs some kind of tank gripper, that's now first on the list.
- Initially I thought, "oh it's not that windy, I don't know why people complain about that so much on naked bikes." Then the weather got a bit breezy and it was kind of a pain tbh. Part of the issue is also because I couldn't stabilize myself with my knees as I'm used to. Need grips!

I can't wait to get off work and ride her home now.

MT09.jpg