Just had my stock suspension set up professionally...

RipGroove

Reaction score
Just got back from having a static suspension setup from JHS Racing Store. Motorcycle performance parts accessories. They clearly know their stuff, I went in with full leathers and gear inc back protector and all and is what they came up with:

Rider weight (full gear): 98KG
Riding style: Fast road
Front rebound: 1/2 turn out from closed
Front preload: 2 rings showing
Rear rebound: 1/4 turn out
Rear preload: 4 off of full
Front tyre pressure: 36psi (cold)
Rear tyre pressure: 36psi (cold)

If you happen to be the same weight as me with full gear then give the above settings a try, if not and you don't live too far from the Bristol/Bath area then give them a call, £34.99 and 30mins work was all it took. FYI I actually only weigh 83KG so my gear weighed in at 15KG.

Obviously they mentioned that we're really pushing the limits here with the crappy stock equipment and they recommend some component upgrades (which we all knew anyway) so they are going to email me some quotes for various options.

The bike did feel great on the way home though so definitely an improvement. I wasn't far off with most of the settings anyway apart from the rear preload, I had this set at 1 off of full which I did because my Akra hit the floor once, so I'm a little concerned that it'll hit again at some point but if it does I'll raise hell with Yamaha as this time the suspension has been setup properly for my weight so they won't have any excuses.

Just for clarification here are some pictures:

Forks...

Rear shock...

Rear shock...

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
Great stuff. Is the rear pressure a typo as 42 is std pressure setting?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Great stuff. Is the rear pressure a typo as 42 is std pressure setting?
No that's actually what they recommended! They do seem like they know their stuff mind, the place is full of track/race photos and trophies etc.

Sent from my iPhone

Locksmith

Reaction score
Mm mm, I've never tried messing about with pressures. I would imagine 36 would make the bike feel different on its own!
Think I'll give it a go.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Mm mm, I've never tried messing about with pressures. I would imagine 36 would make the bike feel different on its own!
Think I'll give it a go.
I'm no handling expert, especially when it comes to tyre pressures, I'm just passing on what they've said & done today. The bike does feel good though [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone

razz

Reaction score
well i`ve always been a ride as ya find it in the garage :) so mr RipGroove i dialed in your settings , my forks were lots softer and my rear spring was one bump stiffer , my tyres were showing 23 front n 28 rear . so hoped on the bike n popped to the local garage for a pump up . just been out for a quick half hour blast , quite chilly out . but i`ll admit , the front is a million times better and the rear is improved , the back end still feels vague , but i must get a rear shock . so a big thank you from me for sharing your results :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
well i`ve always been a ride as ya find it in the garage :) so mr RipGroove i dialed in your settings , my forks were lots softer and my rear spring was one bump stiffer , my tyres were showing 23 front n 28 rear . so hoped on the bike n popped to the local garage for a pump up . just been out for a quick half hour blast , quite chilly out . but i`ll admit , the front is a million times better and the rear is improved , the back end still feels vague , but i must get a rear shock . so a big thank you from me for sharing your results :)
Haha no problem, I can't take credit for the actual settings. I take it you are a similar weight to me all geared up?

Sent from my iPhone

razz

Reaction score
Haha no problem, I can't take credit for the actual settings. I take it you are a similar weight to me all geared up?

Sent from my iPhone
Yep very similar in weight chap , was wearing my winter gear for my after tea blast but there ain't much in it .

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Great info Rip.... Makes a big diff, I found it better on the front as I can now feel the turn, not waiting for eternity for the bike to respond, my last bike (20 years ago) was setup by the dealer.... Never had an issue riding, scraped the pegs every corner (calmed down now tho)

Left the MT as stock, I honestly thought the suspension was shit.. But again, after setting to a mates settings, I could feel the corner, the chicken strips were about 1.5 inch, they are gradually narrowing.... So much more confidence... If it only costs £35, then money well spent..

Unlike an MT I saw earlier to today, over a cuppa with Colton123, scrubbed to the edge...

sigtrm

Reaction score
Just got back from having a static suspension setup from JHS Racing Store. Motorcycle performance parts accessories. They clearly know their stuff, I went in with full leathers and gear inc back protector and all and is what they came up with:

Rider weight (full gear): 98KG
Riding style: Fast road
Front rebound: 1/2 turn out from closed
Front preload: 2 rings showing
Rear rebound: 1/4 turn out
Rear preload: 4 off of full
Front tyre pressure: 36psi (cold)
Rear tyre pressure: 36psi (cold)

If you happen to be the same weight as me with full gear then give the above settings a try, if not and you don't live too far from the Bristol/Bath area then give them a call, £34.99 and 30mins work was all it took. FYI I actually only weigh 83KG so my gear weighed in at 15KG.

Obviously they mentioned that we're really pushing the limits here with the crappy stock equipment and they recommend some component upgrades (which we all knew anyway) so they are going to email me some quotes for various options.

The bike did feel great on the way home though so definitely an improvement. I wasn't far off with most of the settings anyway apart from the rear preload, I had this set at 1 off of full which I did because my Akra hit the floor once, so I'm a little concerned that it'll hit again at some point but if it does I'll raise hell with Yamaha as this time the suspension has been setup properly for my weight so they won't have any excuses.

Sent from my iPhone
Can you make photos of front and rear adjustments, please?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Excuse the poor photos, bike is in the garage and my light is crap!

Sent from my iPhone

Burg308

Reaction score
Is that right on the rear preload,it looks like its set one off max or have igot wrong as usual.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Hang on, give me a minute to clarify properly.

Last edited: