K-Tech & YSS suspension upgrade

jack591

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick review as I couldn’t find information when I was looking about the K-Tech SSK piston kit and the YSS MZ456 rear shock for a 2015 MT09.
Got this fitted last week and went for a good ride on the weekend to test out. Overall this is just night and day difference to stock. By far the best money you can spend on these bikes. The K-tech piston kit ($399AUD) with k-tech springs ($150AUD) is brilliant. No longer does this bike dive with a touch of the brake lever and the front push through corners is gone. The bike recovers instantly from any harsh bumps and doesn’t bounce around, has a much more progressive feel throughout the range now.
For the rear I went with the cheaper MZ456 so it’s an emulsion shock ($599AUD) but this is brilliant. The pogo effect is eliminated completely and the bike no longer squats so much under hard acceleration. Even on very rough roads the shock had no fade in performance
You definitely notice small bumps in the road a lot more but this is being to the standard suspension being so soft and crap. I’m no TT rider but I get along alright and have really relaxed a lot riding this bike since getting the suspension done as before I was so nervous over the bikes reaction to bumps especially mid corner. Overall couldn’t be happier. Would full cartridges and a compression and rebound rear shock be better? Most likely, but if you Spend 99% of your time on the road then this is a great addition to the bike.

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Good stuff mate glad you are enjoying your upgrades!

I fitted Ktech IDS20 and a Ktech Razor R rear shock to mine. I used 9.8 (comp) and 15.9 (rebound) viscosity oil in my fork legs and found them too harsh. Rear shock was nice but not as plush as I would have liked. Defo a track setup.
I've since sold it and gone back to OEM to fund other hobbies.

If I do it again on any bike for that matter I would probably go full Maxton (UK manufacturer), custom valving to each riders weight, style etc.
Ktech, like Nitron etc just change the spring if you are heavier/lighter than average and change the stock recommended settings to suit you as best they can. Not really a custom job as it were.

That said, the rear shock was very good, it was mainly the forks I didn't like, while they held up under breaking superbly they were as harsh as I would want to handle on the road.

SouthSweden

Reaction score
I just got Ohlins OEM replacement front springs installed with belray oil. The springs are 9.0N instead of stock 6.5N. And what an upgrade!! Like you said, The front does not dive when I brake or slowdown anymore. Now I just need to adjust the rebound. The springs cost me 150$. The bike should have came like this stock.

DelClark

Reaction score
YSS is good stuff, it is made by the same guy that had Whitepower.

I had a unit on my old Fazer600 (y)

09Wes

Reaction score
I just got Ohlins OEM replacement front springs installed with belray oil. The springs are 9.0N instead of stock 6.5N. And what an upgrade!! Like you said, The front does not dive when I brake or slowdown anymore. Now I just need to adjust the rebound. The springs cost me 150$. The bike should have came like this stock.
Sounds good. We know the factory is only gonna put on what they absolutely have to.