Laser/radar detection

mt09holland

Reaction score
Anyone installed a radar detector on his bike? I'm getting fed up with the fines I'm getting! Does it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot

Reaction score
I haven't used one on a bike but I have in cars and it has saved my ass on one occasion.
There are various bit of road hardware that spuriously trigger alerts, but the time it went off "for real" it went absolutely mental and there was no mistaking what was going on. I was still done for speeding but at least i'd had chance to slow down from 160mph and just ended up with a 50 euro fine :)

MT09_Shaggy

Reaction score
You can buy devices to detect most systems. In terms of hand held laser, In my experience the warning is just confirming you've already been caught and your reactions may aid with damage limitation if you have lightning reactions !

Last edited:

PaulG

Reaction score
You can buy devices to detect most systems. In terms of hand held laser, In my experience the warning is just confirming you've already been caught and your reactions may aid with damage limitation if you have lightning reactions !
Not the case at all.
I have used a Valentine one for over 20 years and it has paid for itself many times over.I have had warnings from microwave of over 6 km on straight roads and 3 km around corners from a cop car facing in the wrong direction ( picking up echoes from oncoming traffic ).And laser warnings coming from scatter off other targets.
You get what you pay for cheap detectors give crap results.
I also use a laser jammer it has irrefutably proved itself by showing up a cop trying to get a reading off me for a full km with no success.

Last edited:

MT09_Shaggy

Reaction score
Jammers are pretty illegal in the uk combined with a confirmed speed. The new speed detection devices the the operator they are being jammed and you get done for a more serious offence.

Most uk systems are laser interfaced to video and only emit during a split second 'capture' by which time it's too late.

New Zealand May be different I guess or maybe your not going fast enough !

mt09holland

Reaction score
Not the case at all.
I have used a Valentine one for over 20 years and it has paid for itself many times over.I have had warnings from microwave of over 6 km on straight roads and 3 km around corners from a cop car facing in the wrong direction ( picking up echoes from oncoming traffic ).And laser warnings coming from scatter off other targets.
You get what you pay for cheap detectors give crap results.
I also use a laser jammer it has irrefutably proved itself by showing up a cop trying to get a reading off me for a full km with not success.
Have you got them on your bike or in your car?

mt09holland

Reaction score
Yeah I just found that one as well. My mate got a Stinger on his bike, bloody expensive but very accurate and you can load different modules on the card and easily delete them when sniffed out by the Old Bill.

Twozup

Reaction score
I don't go fast enough on the public highway to need one of these. Officer.

[emoji6]

Sent from my mind using my fingers

mt09holland

Reaction score
TPX say that can sniff out radar and laser signals through (tinted) windscreens. It is also water resistant and can be connected to a wireless headset

mt09holland

Reaction score
I bloody need one!!! Cost me 800 quid already this month to drive around on that stupid bike! It's getting that bad that my missus is opening the fines now and teases me all friggin week with it! You can request the pics and I have to say they are hilarious, my last one was taken with a big sign of "be aware of crossing deer" and "max 60, dangerous corner" in full view.....not worth fighting that one!

Spot

Reaction score
I bloody need one!!! Cost me 800 quid already this month to drive around on that stupid bike! It's getting that bad that my missus is opening the fines now and teases me all friggin week with it! You can request the pics and I have to say they are hilarious, my last one was taken with a big sign of "be aware of crossing deer" and "max 60, dangerous corner" in full view.....not worth fighting that one!

Go on, please post the pics...... You know you want to..... :)

PaulG

Reaction score
Have you got them on your bike or in your car?

I use the V1 in the car and on the bikes and the jammer is mounted on the car.To be honest I don't see laser guns in use much here any more

PaulG

Reaction score
Jammers are pretty illegal in the uk combined with a confirmed speed. The new speed detection devices the the operator they are being jammed and you get done for a more serious offence.

Most uk systems are laser interfaced to video and only emit during a split second 'capture' by which time it's too late.

New Zealand May be different I guess or maybe your not going fast enough !
We have fixed speed cameras on poles that are triggered by sensors in the road.Detectors don't detect these but we have eyes for that.If you don't see these you deserve to get a ticket.We have radars in cop cars.These are easily picked up at a long distance.We have mobile cameras in vans that are parked beside main roads.These give off weaker signals but I still get 100m warning for these,plus if you don't notice the van you deserve to get a ticket.Your systems sound like they are some sort of "travel time between two points" and a microwave hybrid.Our microwave units all run continuously so you can get enough warning.
The cop car ones can be used in "instant on mode" and you don't get much warning (in theory none) but a good detector will pick up a cop as he pings cars ahead of you.Also not many of our cops can drive a car and operate the "instant on button" at the same time. So they don't use that mode much.
Actually,many of our cops can't operate a car ,period.
A police advanced driver trainer (and biker) from the UK came out and set up a driver training business out here.He said some of the NZ cops he met were shitting themselves when they were passengers in his car travelling at 140 kmh.They believe their bosses' propaganda that speed kills.

mt09holland

Reaction score
Its the laser guns and mobile units that bother me. They are hidden very well in bushes along the road, very difficult to spot. I live near the old Dutch formula 1 circuit and there are a still a lot of races going on.....that attracts a lot of speeding bikers and car enthusiasts.....who attract cops and radar detectors! Bad luck!

My Toy

Reaction score
NZ 2008 306.jpg
Hey PaulG, the operator of this patrol vehicle, part of the Wellington highway patrol unit, was expertly proficient in the use of his on board radar in all modes, you can just see the front unit inside the windscreen by my left wrist, and was quick and safe at well over 140kph on state highway 1. In 4 hours on patrol we caught 5 unlicensed drivers, 5 uninsured drivers, 1 drink driver with no license or insurance and seized a total of 8 vehicles for the aforementioned offences plus dangerous defects. All as a result of speeding vehicles.

MadGelo

Reaction score
Can this detectors detect the camera before it takes a picture?

the voices

Reaction score
in the uk if your going on a thrash you are best on false plates, a different coloured disposable jacket, and always have an escape route ie know the area and best bit of advice whatever happens dont panic in norfolk youve got at least 15+ mins before a chopper gets up. Now i ride very slow, respect the law and obey all speed limits as the pigs are worse than ever round here the bastards. and before the complaints come in ive two members of my family who are old bill and they would shop there own mothers for an arrest.

Last edited: