Letter to Yamaha HQ and no reply...

PM2017

Reaction score
To date, I have had no reply from Yamaha HQ which smacks of poor customer relations to say the least.
Dealership details withheld to protect the innocent (maybe!).

23 May 2017

Yamaha MT 09 – XXL17 XXX
Dealer – XXXX.........

Dear Yamaha UK,

I purchased a new MT 09 on 06 May 17.
It has just had the 600 mile service done last Saturday (20 May 17).

Prior to taking it over for its 600 mile service I had contacted the dealership with a fuelling issue I was experiencing; Namely it appeared to be spluttering in revs between 2,500 & 4,000 rpm. I think the technical term is fuel surge? Although even that’s not accurate as it appears to be the opposite of surge – more like fuel starvation one second and surge the next?

I believe the problem is linked to the Euro 4 emission and/or fuel consumption (?) tests that you have to satisfy?

It was pouring down with rain on 20 May 17 so I did not suggest the service technician take it for a test ride although I wish I had done.
He did plug it into the diagnostic port and all the checks came back positive.
I’m sure if he had taken my bike out for a test ride he would have started to appreciate the problem I’m experiencing.
Awkwardly, their MT 09 demonstrator was out on hire that day so I never even got a chance to have another ride on that model and check to see if it had the same fuelling issues. I do not recall feeling any such fuel problems when I took this demo bike out for a ride in mid-April.

I’m sure you’re aware of the problem?
Euro 4 regulations aside, my bike is being starved of fuel and then surged between these revs mentioned above and apart from the unpleasant riding experience this can’t be a safe state of affairs surely?

This is my first ride by wire motorcycle that I’ve owned and if this is the norm it’ll be my last. It’s not what I expect from the Yamaha brand which I associate with precision engineering.

What am I expecting from you?

1. An admittance of the problem even if you insist on blaming it on Euro 4 regulations.
2. A fuel map fix (in a flash!) that will eliminate this particular problem which as I’ve hinted at has the potential to encroach on safety aspects of riding.

I look forward to some sort of positive reply from you or hope that you’re going to rectify this problem at some point in the near future.

Please be aware that I live some 45 miles from this dealership (90 mile round trip) and I only want to be travelling there if they are going to fix the problem, not simply tell me that there’s nothing wrong, or it’s a Euro 4 issue or that there’s nothing they can do, you’ll have to contact Yamaha direct.

Yours,

MT10SP

Reaction score
I wouldn't hold your breath, I spoke to them about my order for an MT10SP and its delay. I got different stories each time I rang, and got the distinct impression they didn't give a shit. That was Yamaha head office, not the dealer.

PM2017

Reaction score
I wouldn't hold your breath, I spoke to them about my order for an MT10SP and its delay. I got different stories each time I rang, and got the distinct impression they didn't give a shit. That was Yamaha head office, not the dealer.
I had the same delivery issues until the senior salesman at the dealership got to grips with the problem; mind you that might have been me threatening to cancel the order that done the trick!

MT10SP

Reaction score
I had the same delivery issues until the senior salesman at the dealership got to grips with the problem; mind you that might have been me threatening to cancel the order that done the trick!
I did cancel the order, they didn't seem that bothered!

otaylor38

Reaction score
regarding the surging.. have all the normal things been checked? Chain tension etc?

I found mine was snatchier on/off the throttle but once on the throttle it wasnt too bad.

That being said, i've had it flashed now by Stec and its spot on!

MT10SP

Reaction score
They wouldnt be on an MT10SP, they probably had people lined up waiting for them anyway.
You would have thought so, but there were still plenty available in dealers advertising on the internet. But they couldn't deliver mine even though they had my deposit for 5 months.

PM2017

Reaction score
The problem seems to be with the courier that delivers the bikes to dealers.
The Yamaha database will tell the dealer that a specific model and colour will be delivered on such a date and you would think that determines what the courier delivers.
My advice. Don't put an order or deposit on any model unless it's in the showroom or they've showed you the box the bike is in in the workshop!....

Gruffalo

Reaction score
To date, I have had no reply from Yamaha HQ which smacks of poor customer relations to say the least.
Dealership details withheld to protect the innocent (maybe!).............

23 May 2017..........

..........Yours,
I recently had my 1000Km (600 mile) service on my Tracer and had hoped it might sort out the "spluttering" at lower revs, but unfortunately it hasn't. I just thought it might have something to do with the fact that the Tracer is a 3 cylinder and my previous bike a 4 (much smoother).