Loose Screen Adjusters

motomed

Reaction score
After enjoying a couple of great rides on my Tracer over the weekend, I've noticed that the screen height adjuster knobs are working loose.
Anyone else had this problem? I re-tighten them, go for a ride only to find they have slackened off again.

Unfazed

Reaction score
Noticed mine a bit loose when washing the bike yesterday, will take more notice now

Unfazed

Reaction score
I'm wondering, a wee bit of PTFE tape on the threads would tighten things up...

motomed

Reaction score
I'm wondering, a wee bit of PTFE tape on the threads would tighten things up...
Not a bad suggestion.
I'll investigate to see whether this is possible or maybe remove the adjusters to insert spring washers under the knobs.

doc

Reaction score
Yep, they come loose. I think it's an "undocumented feature".....*cough*

Give them a decent tweak when tightening them and they will stay tight.

motomed

Reaction score
After another ride broken up with intervals of having to stop to re tighten the bloody adjusters, I decided to do something about it.
I removed the adjusters:
IMGP9867.jpg

I found some soft Nylon washers that I'd kept from some wrecked patio furniture.
These fitted perfectly around the shoulder on the adjuster screw after filing a flat as shown:
IMGP9868.jpg

I re-fitted the adjusters and now the Nylon washers are compressing a little when tightening.
Hopefully this will provide a locking effect to prevent the screws from slackening.
IMGP9869.jpg

The washers are 2.5mm thick, I'll let you all know if it's a successful mod.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Try putting a dab of soft silicon sealant on the threads, it will not harden off but it may give enough resistance to keep the adjusters in place. I have used this for years and find it as good a Loctite blue. As it does not harden off you can still undo and tighten up as you want. Just a thought.

stavrosd2006

Reaction score
I am having same problem here!!!

Become loose as km accumulate.
In a 300 km ride screen fell to the lower setting by its own weight and vibrations!!!!

I will try LewFZ1 procedure with silicon sealant to see what happens.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
After another ride broken up with intervals of having to stop to re tighten the bloody adjusters, I decided to do something about it.
I removed the adjusters:
View attachment 3919

I found some soft Nylon washers that I'd kept from some wrecked patio furniture.
These fitted perfectly around the shoulder on the adjuster screw after filing a flat as shown:
View attachment 3920

I re-fitted the adjusters and now the Nylon washers are compressing a little when tightening.
Hopefully this will provide a locking effect to prevent the screws from slackening.
View attachment 3921

The washers are 2.5mm thick, I'll let you all know if it's a successful mod.
That trick seems to me more helpfull when change screen's positions.. as sticky silicon is for "planting" the screen "permanently".

Shaun64

Reaction score
Have any of these mods worked at stopping the screws coming undone? Mine have come undone today have just put some thread lock on for now.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Are the screw adjusters working loose because of the screen buffering at speed ?. At moment considering fitting the Palmer product kit

Shaun64

Reaction score
It's probably vibrating loose I've been on a few bumpy roads today,I never adjust it so I've just put thread lock on for now,I was thinking of cutting some pieces of innertube to put either side of clamp giving it something to grip.

Shaun64

Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
As you can see from pics I have put some Spring washers on the adjusters and they have worked a treat. 160 miles today and they have stuck tight.

Shaun64

Reaction score
It's easy job pull small clip off unscrew adjusters put back with a strong spring washer.

bikeral

Reaction score
None of mine have ever come loose yet but will keep an eye on it from now