Loose Screen Adjusters

bullock

Reaction score
After enjoying a couple of great rides on my Tracer over the weekend, I've noticed that the screen height adjuster knobs are working loose.
Anyone else had this problem? I re-tighten them, go for a ride only to find they have slackened off again.
Hi only the left one sitting on bike comes loose sorted by putting spot of thread lock on can still adjust but bit stiffer but don't come loose

Greenman41

Reaction score
I replaced mine with Allen screws. I carry a key in case I ever need to adjust the screen. Also fitted Nyloc nuts on the end of the screws so that I’m less likely to screw them right out if I adjust the screen.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I replaced mine with Allen screws. I carry a key in case I ever need to adjust the screen.
Exactly the same here, simply replaced them and don't have the problem anymore.

I tend not to need to adjust the screen once it's at a height I like so I don't have a problem with it being less 'quick release'.

The new system they have on the GT is a much better idea though.

woodie100

Reaction score
There was a thread about this common problem (think Otters pocket, you sent this to me a while back??) simple solution was nylon washers inline which helped grip the bolt hence dosnt work free. I personally put a tap washer with a drilled hole in the middle inline which was more than adequate and hasn’t worked loose since! Happy days😄😄😄😄
JonB

wales2wheeler

Reaction score
After enjoying a couple of great rides on my Tracer over the weekend, I've noticed that the screen height adjuster knobs are working loose.
Anyone else had this problem? I re-tighten them, go for a ride only to find they have slackened off again.
Mine was the same. I got a small rubber band and twisted it a couple of times over the adjuster knob thread as a temporary fix and it hasn't come loose again. I do like fast cheap fixes and nothing to lose trying

ib1-2

Reaction score
I took the adjusters off and fitted bicycle seat stem clamps. You can adjust the tension of these and the screen stays put.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I really like that idea, gives you a decent clamping force but is also quick release.

Nice solution that - I'll be looking on ebay for one now :)

EDIT - just had a look, you need to search for "Bike Axle Quick Release Skewer" and it should bring up the correct items.

Last edited:

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Cheers - haven't arrived yet, but as you say both came in a pack on ebay for not much over 3 quid with free delivery.

I've got a bit of steel tube that will work fine as a spacer so will knock that up when it arrives.

I have also been thinking of cutting a groove into the runners that will allow the screen to be tilted forward and back a little too, need to look more into that though.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Got the bike axle skewers the other day - as you say the front wheel axle fits fine.

I cut about 10mm off the tip of the thread just to get the tensioner to pull correctly and then cut a small piece of steel tube as a spacer between the inner mounts.

Works great, can now release the tension really quickly and move the screen up and down, and click back to set in place.

Great little mod that one :)

Kimmie

Reaction score
Yeah, I installed the bike axle skewers myself a few months ago. They have worked a treat.
I road some pretty bumpy dirt roads a few wees ago which shook quite a few things loose including some bits on me........but the screen stayed put and the skewer stayed on place. With the skewer the adjuster bolts didn't take the vibration and work themselves loose.

Great economical fix!!

Raw0791

Reaction score
I did mine today 21/3/20. 10 min job. Absolutely brilliant. Got a coloured skew release to match the bike. Easy fix. Previous to that I used 2 x nylon washers. The bike skew is so much easier.