Luggage rack

XB12X

Reaction score
What luggage rack options are there for the MT-09, please?

donut

Reaction score
I have the full set Box and panniers, I used the SHAD set up, very pleased with it.

Cheers

Ventura may also be worth a look as it gives the option of easy removal and replacement with a grab rail instead and/or fitting a soft luggage bag.

XB12X

Reaction score
I still have an old Ventura bag I slip over the the triple tail on my Ulysses when it's in the upright position. Tremendous quality, I've had it since 1996. Originally, I bought it for a BMW R1100GS. The frames are ugly, though. It looks good on the Buell as there isn't a frame on it.

I haven't bought an MT-09 yet, but I am planning to. I thought for touring I'd simply ratchet strap a dry bag I bought from a diving shop to a rack. The question is which rack? I don't want an ugly top case as they stick out too far at the back, although I concede they're very useful. So I won't be looking for a rack that is designed to take a top case. Are there any aftermarket racks available?

canalboy1949

Reaction score
Givi do some quick-detachable racks for side cases and a tail rack for the top box. Once you've got the racks, most any Givi cases will fit.

XB12X

Reaction score
Givi racks look awful. I want something minimalist.

XB12X

Reaction score
Has anyone got the SW-Motech Alu-Rack? Their stuff looks good. The rack is detachable and their range of accessories is better value than the Yamaha's. For example, the above rack is 149.95 euros, the Frame Slider kit is 129.95 euros and the Alternator Cover Guard is 59.95 euros.

Last edited:

Banksy

Reaction score
I've fitted a Renntec sports rack to mine.. Nice fit and 33L topbox goes on and off in seconds.

XB12X

Reaction score
Banksy, have you any pictures of your 09 with the top box fitted, please? I have this notion that top boxes dwarf the MT, but I've never seen a photo of the bike with a smallish one. 33L is a good size. Which make is it?

Tafy94

Reaction score
+1 for the Shad, although I ony have a top box. They do a good range of sizes so maybe worth a look for you.

XB12X

Reaction score
If that's a 39L box, a 33L one should look quite petite, as it were. What I don't like about top boxes on short bikes is that they seem to almost follow the bike way back as opposed to being part of it. They're very useful, though. I have a Suzuki B-King (a long bike), and I have a Hepco and Becker Gobi top case on it. It looks like it was made for the bike. I could stick that on the MT when I get it. They do racks for the 09.