Mirror tightening/adjustment...Really, I'm not backward...

Jetty

Reaction score
Hi - May sound a bit lame, but can anyone tell me how to tighten the top joint on an MT-09 mirror please? I don't want to force anything. I have removed the mirrors on numerous occasions through the lower joint by simply sliding the plastic cone up and out of the way. Does the top cone also slide down similarly, to reveal a nut? Or should I turn the mirror itself around on that joint?

I'd sooner look a knob than force and break something.

Thanks for any help, and abuse of course.

Jetty

MartinB

Reaction score
Hi - May sound a bit lame, but can anyone tell me how to tighten the top joint on an MT-09 mirror please? I don't want to force anything. I have removed the mirrors on numerous occasions through the lower joint by simply sliding the plastic cone up and out of the way. Does the top cone also slide down similarly, to reveal a nut? Or should I turn the mirror itself around on that joint?
Jetty
The top does not undo, its actually a stud and a spring which cannot be accessed unless you remove the glass. Not recommended!
so the more you wind the nut the harder the ball is pushed into the socket.
Good Luck,

Doing this from memory so I may be wrong, Insults I will leave it too Lew,

Jetty

Reaction score
Thank you. So...I presume I do turn the mirror in a clockwise direction around the stem...? I think I'd best check price/availability for a new one first. I'll likely break the bastard.

Insults always welcome.

Many Thanks

Jetty

MartinB

Reaction score
Thank you. So...I presume I do turn the mirror in a clockwise direction around the stem...?

Many Thanks

Jetty
Not sure if the nut is captive thus uncertain if it will tighten or not. Guess you will have to try it, good luck.

MartinB

Jetty

Reaction score
Thanks MartinB. So far I'm happy merely with the fact that both mirrors come off easily with a 14mm spanner and no left-hand threads. (I have to remove them to put the bike in my van). Its just that the right hand one is a wee bit sloppy at the top when at speed...which happily seems to be most of the time. :) Mirrors are after all only important for Old Bill spotting. :/

Jetty