Mixing tyres

thegoat

Reaction score
Hi all its time for a new rear tyre after 3500 miles. Not sure what way to go, should i buy just a rear Bridgestone s21 as i still got plenty of life in the front s20 is it ok to mix s20 / s21?

Or stop being a tight arse and buy a set of PR4s or somthing else. I am commuting through London daily so wet grip important to me.
Any advice appreciated

Thanks Rob.

chump

Reaction score
I have a Dunlop front and s20 rear. Handles fine. It's all in your head.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Pr 4's I have nearly 6500 miles on my PR4's and the rear is just starting to show signs of wear now.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Ive had metzeler road tec 01s on for 1500 miles ish in all weathers and they are a very good tyre especially in the wet,I've not used PR4s but I've used PR3s and much prefer the 01s.

thegoat

Reaction score
Thanks guys i went for the Pr4s in the end, hopefully give them a try today.

EeeTea

Reaction score
I went for the new Avon trail rider. Expensive but really sticky... I reckon best tyre I've ever had...and I've tried most things in that ilk over many years.

Frankly tyre technology is just getting better, I suspect whatever you fit, compared with ten years ago...or 35 for me...they'd be good.

Shaun64

Reaction score
I've used Avon trail riders on a transalp 700 and they are very good tyres,what made you choose these over a more road going tyre?.

EeeTea

Reaction score
Mostly to cover what I like to do: I call it "Dead-Reckoning Riding"

Wazzat then???

So rather than navigate by maps and sat nav, I'll have a destination in mind - Say I start from home (Colchester) and I want to head to Leicester (why would I do that??...conversation for another day).

I look at the map and know that it is 100 miles (as the crow flies) NW. So all I do is follow my compass. Whatever road is closest to NW I follow, next junction, I might want to compensate for doing ten miles in an WNW direction, so now I want to do another ten miles in NNW direction etc. I do as sailors do and following a dead reckoning (guesstimate) of where I am, until I find a reference landmark that I can then reestablish a general heading direction.

In truth I might do some all day rides like this to get to an event, as it makes the ride more of an adventure... Once I discover somewhere new, I plant my flag (that makes it mine) and tell the natives that they are now under my rule. See here: https://youtu.be/b6RhIx6US6Q

Now the result is I end up riding in all sorts of obscure places I would NEVER go to ordinarily, all types of everything from main A roads to back single track lanes with fords, and road gravel etc. (okay I have a sat nav if I get stuck), so these tyres are grippy enough for peg scraping (far too easy to do, extremely confidence inspiring) but also copes well with the rougher gravel debris type single tracks.

In fact they are, according to Avon, a 90% road bias tyre anyway, which is largely down to (dual) compound and softnessness, but the open tread is great on the 'full o crap' roads. I really don't think a 100% road tyre from the same stable would speed me up at all at all, as these tyres are already seriously grippy and bring a smile to my face. :D

Last edited: