Mobile speed camara vans

paulb3375

Reaction score
Yep, I got done 36 in a 30 by a rear facing camera that I was riding towards, he must have had a camera at the front to snap the number plate as I went past. Bit naughty really as it's a well known notorious spot for them to be, limit changes from 40 to 30 and I saw the van, slowed down for the 30 and he must have caught me well down the road. Lesson learned in the SAC (not), that's 3 hrs and £75 I'll never get back.

kev

Reaction score
I was talking to one of the camera operators, small van and they stand with the camera on a tripod, I ask which ones can get motorbikes......all can, what if you stop before you pass the van and wait say 15 mins....... we can rewind the video and match it up.... how long do you have to notify us by post.............14 days......anyway it's more than 14 days now so they can't have got me, lol, what I didn't ask is well ............... a neckie has more uses than keeping your neck warm?

Shaun64

Reaction score
It was on look north that North Yorkshire police have just got 6 small camara vans plus they still have the larger camara vans.

stevierst

Reaction score
We should count ourselves lucky in the uk, somewhere in Europe they hide the cameras in wheelie bins and allsorts of nasty tricks like that! Now that's just not cricket [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shaun64

Reaction score
We should count ourselves lucky in the uk, somewhere in Europe they hide the cameras in wheelie bins and allsorts of nasty tricks like that! Now that's just not cricket [emoji23][emoji23]

They were hiding mobile speed cameras (copper with gun)in North Yorkshire last year! They had police sat in tractors & horse boxs unbelievable I know,there was a piece in a local paper over it,as far as know it's been stopped.

stevierst

Reaction score
They were hiding mobile speed cameras (copper with gun)in North Yorkshire last year! They had police sat in tractors & horse boxs unbelievable I know,there was a piece in a local paper over it,as far as know it's been stopped.
Yeah I heard about this. Something tells me it can't be used for speed enforcement as they believe it or not have certain rules they have to abide by. And this broke most of em!
I think the solicitors must have ripped them a new one for being so Friggin sneaky!

kev

Reaction score
The one in the tractor was near Sledmere, they were after bikers doing a 100mph plus, they had traffic cop cars that would pull the bikes at the time, not just send through the post, don't know if anyone got done.

otaylor38

Reaction score
Eerm.. Don't scamera vans do people based on approaching speed? IE; park to the left of the road facing with the traffic and get traffic coming towards them?

Bikes don't have any number plates on the front!
They can up to something like 8 cameras too. Although usually its just one in the cab that records you as you ride away, to get your plate.

Sometimes they don't any video cameras in though and the ones on the bridges arent too much of a worry as most cant possibly see you riding away.

I just do what i do in teh car.. slow down as soon as i see them and hope for the best. Not taking the pee in known areas helps.

Reaction score
Yeah I heard about this. Something tells me it can't be used for speed enforcement as they believe it or not have certain rules they have to abide by. And this broke most of em!
I think the solicitors must have ripped them a new one for being so Friggin sneaky!
Problem is though; How many people have the time, money and legal knowledge to go to court and fight it? The police know that by the time someone complains and they put a stop to it, they will have made a load of money in fines.

I got done speeding a few years ago along the A629 going to Sheffield by a mobile camera, even now though i can swear that there was no van, no copper and no camera visible, it's a straight open section where you go over the Stocksbridge bypass, plenty of bushes for them to hide in though...
Took the SAC as it was my first time getting caught, but i always knew it was a sneaky catch.

deadb0y

Reaction score
I have recently been done by a camera van - 85 in a 50
I was doing 85 approaching the rear of the van and slowed right down to 40 when i got near it !
But it had already got me and they took the photo from the rear with my brake light on as i passed FFS
So it took a picture of your plate from behind even though it had to register your speed as you are approaching (current tech can only register speed perpendicularly as far as I'm aware)?? Challenge that in court. The measuring of speed and the photo to prove it has to be done all in one go. Otherwise it's too easy to "make it up as they go along"..

deadb0y

Reaction score
Yep, I got done 36 in a 30 by a rear facing camera that I was riding towards, he must have had a camera at the front to snap the number plate as I went past. Bit naughty really as it's a well known notorious spot for them to be, limit changes from 40 to 30 and I saw the van, slowed down for the 30 and he must have caught me well down the road. Lesson learned in the SAC (not), that's 3 hrs and £75 I'll never get back.
I'm pretty sure (as already stated further down the thread, that that would be illegal!

deadb0y

Reaction score
They can up to something like 8 cameras too. Although usually its just one in the cab that records you as you ride away, to get your plate.

Sometimes they don't any video cameras in though and the ones on the bridges arent too much of a worry as most cant possibly see you riding away.

I just do what i do in teh car.. slow down as soon as i see them and hope for the best. Not taking the pee in known areas helps.
Again, that's illegal!

deadb0y

Reaction score
As I've pointed out in a couple of reply's using 2 cameras, one to record your speed and one to actually take you picture is, as far as my outdated understanding of the law.. Completely illegal!!

By using 2 separate cameras they can literally do anything they want IE; take a random picture of any bike coming towards them and superimpose the speed over the top (as I said earlier - make it up as they go along) then slap any old number plate on the "here's your plate" picture.

That would NEVER hold up in court, it'd be to open to tampering!

Looking at the rear facing camera it also needs to have a clear view, no windscreen or such so a front camera is out of the question. They can turn their rear facing camera to the side window for motorway bridges but the still have to measure speed of vehicles coming towards them..

Problem is though; How many people have the time, money and legal knowledge to go to court and fight it? The police know that by the time someone complains and they put a stop to it, they will have made a load of money in fines..
You don't have to be a legal eagle to go to court and ask the actual judge or magistrate for clarification of what the law is for any given case...

If you know the old bill are up to no good it is your DUTY to do something about it - by not doing so you are technically committing a crime yourself :)

Also, don't swallow any ole thing a website that's trying to sell you speed camera's gps locations tells you eh boys... Use your loaf!

deadb0y

Reaction score

Indeed, I once saw a dark brown box hanging off a dark brown wall flash me as I went past at 125 :)

paulb3375

Reaction score
By using 2 separate cameras they can literally do anything they want IE; take a random picture of any bike coming towards them and superimpose the speed over the top (as I said earlier - make it up as they go along) then slap any old number plate on the "here's your plate" picture.

Fair point well made.

Still feel aggrieved at mine. Notorious 2 into 1 lane road, 40 to 30, everyone knows. They were even there tonight. I slowed down to 30 but at what point did they snap 36? Getting a picture of my rear plate must have been a couple of hundred yards further up the road.

Food for thought with your point there though.

Laffli

Reaction score
Some camera vans have eyeball camera's on the side so they record your speed as your going towards them, and get your number as you go past.

Shaun64

Reaction score
It's been over 3 weeks now since the mobile speed camera van incident and I've heard nowt from the boys in blue so fingers crossed that's the end of that! I've been extra observent while riding about especially round York out and around near seaways cafe .

Reaction score
As I've pointed out in a couple of reply's using 2 cameras, one to record your speed and one to actually take you picture is, as far as my outdated understanding of the law.. Completely illegal!!

Looking at the rear facing camera it also needs to have a clear view, no windscreen or such so a front camera is out of the question. They can turn their rear facing camera to the side window for motorway bridges but the still have to measure speed of vehicles coming towards them..

You don't have to be a legal eagle to go to court and ask the actual judge or magistrate for clarification of what the law is for any given case...

If you know the old bill are up to no good it is your DUTY to do something about it - by not doing so you are technically committing a crime yourself :)

Also, don't swallow any ole thing a website that's trying to sell you speed camera's gps locations tells you eh boys... Use your loaf!
In my personal experience there is little point in trying to confront police 'bad behaviour' to me they are only out for themselves and are as bent as anyone else.

I've had cause twice in my life to make complaints to the police and tried going through the IPCC over police conduct, once over a PCSO doing 'favours' for his mate and once over police harassment for a family member to give a statement, both times complaints were brushed under the carpet and i was told by senior officers that there was no cause to refer it to the office of professional conduct.

Might not be a popular opinion but I'd trust a sackful of shite more than i would any copper.

Still, getting a bit off topic now so i'll leave it at that.

Jetty

Reaction score
Interesting reading, all of the above. They are surely there to slow us down, not catch us discreetly. Same old argument. Fund raising. Last week I was riding through Germany, a static camera flashed in my face, so I smiled knowing I was safe...Except I wasn't. A mile or so up the road a police car was pulling people in. I was told that I had been doing 140kph in a 100kph restricted area so had to pay 145 Euro. Unlike our coppers, they didn't treat me like a child in a condescending, sanctimonious way as ours do. They didn't ask for an apology and I wasn't going to give one. I paid the fine and off I went...calmly...for a few miles and then got on with it.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Some camera vans have eyeball camera's on the side so they record your speed as your going towards them, and get your number as you go past.
These provide indisputable continuous footage of any speeding vehicle from the point of capture to the point of identification, unlike the soon to be discontinued system of recording speeding vehicles only using a front and rear camera.

However common sense dictates either can be overcome provided you stop before your number plate is seen. You simply waiting for a long enough slow moving vehicle to pass while parked up and you then move off and sit on the offside of it using it as a shield before reaching the camera van, thus avoiding number plate capture from the rear camera.
You also need to ensure you're not alongside it but in front of the shield vehicle when your far enough in the distance to become visible to the rear camera once again.

Now they've brought in these new earning related speeding tariffs to deter you from attending court, there's even more of an incentive not to play the game of getting caught and giving the government even more of your money.