Modified Standard Exhaust System.

kernow

Reaction score
My effort at modifying the standard mt-09 exhaust system, incentive taken from Toastedblue's excellent effort on the Tracer Modified section.
First off I bought a very low mileage system off eBay, for two reasons first off I wanted to keep my standard system intact, and secondly I wanted also to be able to keep my bike on the road whilst carrying out the mod on a second system.

Just one point here, I feel anyone attempting this themselves will need at least some understanding of basic engineering and of course the necessary tools and equipment, I have a workshop with a vice which permitted me to carry out the operation on my own, otherwise a mate or someone to hold the system whilst working on it for safety reasons in my opinion would be required.

Even if you qualify and have all of the above it's quite a task just to open up and gut the silencer, Yamaha certainly didn't want anything becoming loose or rattling inside the silencer and therefore it's well engineered in it's construction, which makes it all the more difficult to remove the internals. One item of equipment I didn't have was a mig or tig welder, but found a mate of mine who runs a local garage to do the honors for for some beer tokens. Actually I do have a mig but didn't want to have to buy a reel of stainless wire and end up with loads left over which would probably never get used.!!!

Tools required.....
Mini disc cutter with 1mm thick steel cutting discs.
Reciprocating saw, I have a compressor so an air operated saw was perfect for this job.
Usual hand tools, files, tape measure, marker, masking tape & duct tape etc.

System purchased from eBay, I left most of the wrapping on and added a bit more around the headers to protect the chrome.
IMG_20170317_152631848.jpg
IMG_20170318_105301422.jpg
My method of releasing the welds on the top section.
IMG_20170318_112530006.jpg
The cut around the seam just above the original weld.
IMG_20170321_090722559_HDR.jpg
Top section removed.
IMG_20170321_162302468.jpg
More to follow......................................

kernow

Reaction score
Continued....................
Contents of lower section partially removed, not a simple task.!!!
IMG_20170321_200115202.jpg
Bottom section now ready for re-assembly.
IMG_20170330_161837072.jpg
Reducer for exit pipe, yet to be cut down.
IMG_20170330_162016613.jpg
Parts cut & prepared ready for assembly.
IMG_20170407_140242863.jpg
Parts installed and tack welded in position, duct tape holding some joints in position.
IMG_20170407_191438173.jpg
Kept the exit pipe original size, didn't want the extra work involved with increasing it.!!!
to be continued............

Last edited:

kernow

Reaction score
After having all the internals tig welded up, the acousta-fil was installed.
I forgot to take a pic of it but I added a 5mm piece of s/s rod welded under the perforated
section of pipe and welded it onto the base of the bottom section just down from the s/s bend this to
give it some added support.
IMG_20170421_204037746.jpg
Next was to replace and the top section and complete the tig welding.
IMG_20170424_175816010.jpg

IMG_20170424_175839382_HDR.jpg
Now ready for re-fitting back on my bike
IMG_20170424_191258220.jpg

IMG_20170424_191320850.jpg

All good, also fitted a k&n filter and set the c/o to 14 on each cylinder, runs very
smooth with a noticeable increase in performance. Silencer appears to be getting
louder now that I have covered some 200~300...miles, so bedding in nicely.
Will need to set-up a rolling road session to check everything is as it should be.

stevecbr

Reaction score
You took a lot more out of the exhaust than I did when I did mine. Can you post a video up of what it sounds like, and if you have smart phone you can download a decibel meter to get an idea on sound. From memory, mine went from 86db to 92db on tickover, with phone held about 6 inches from pipe exit

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
Nice job!

Good call on getting a welder in, looks neat enough.

My tig welding is poor at best as i only really use mine to mend broken post hole diggers and such. The guy i used to use for site fabrication work was shit hot, sadly dead now, but as he worked on oil rigs in his younger days seam welding the tubes his welds looked like they were done by a effing robot.

I would be interested too in a vid of the modded exhaust in action.

kernow

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments guys, to be honest it's going to sound more or less the same as ToastedBlue's who did the same mod which he recently posted on the Tracer mod section, along with a video to see and listen too.
I will however attempt a short video of my bike on the side stand to give you some idea, which to be honest though it won't really do it justice. The exhaust when riding and under load sounds much,much nicer, quite a nice deep note without being offensive, and as previously mentioned is definitely improving with the more miles being added, as it "burns-in" for the want of a better word, so I can't imagine having any bother from "old bill".
In conclusion I'm delighted with my effort and certainly enjoyed doing it, particularly as I like the look of the standard exhaust, it just needed to sound better. However I wouldn't want to undertake to do another.!!! :eek:

kernow

Reaction score
O.K. here's a short static video of my modified exhaust, and like previously mentioned it's not going to give the true sound, unlike the bike being under load and on the move. :)

YouTube

Shaun64

Reaction score
O.K. here's a short static video of my modified exhaust, and like previously mentioned it's not going to give the true sound, unlike the bike being under load and on the move. :)

YouTube
Sounds good much better than standard.

kernow

Reaction score
Sounds good much better than standard.
Yeah it certainly is I'm really pleased with it, definitely worth the effort despite all the work to achieve the end product. And it appears to be steadily improving with the more miles that are added. :cool: