motorcycle stretching

Aidyn Zulfijev

Reaction score
Good day, coleagues,

I am new here, new with motorcycles and new with tracer 2016.

I have one annoing feeling with my bike. When I am riding at constant speed and at constant engine rpm, i feel stretching/twitching/surging. When I am slowing or accelerating everything is ok. The chain also is ok. Dealer says it is normal with our triple engine.

The same problem was with test drive bike, this problem is with my bike also. I have 3000 km.

Maybe anyone has some ideas? Somewhere I had found info one guy had changed oil and problem has gone. But now I can't find this info

Last edited:

chump

Reaction score
stretching? try a different word - makes no sense.

Aidyn Zulfijev

Reaction score
sorry for my english.
twitching maybe. I mean then you hold the same speed and rpm, for example, 50km/h, you feel that bike is going faster-slower-faster-slower. Something like swing front-back.

Shaun64

Reaction score
When riding slow have the bike in a higher gear 4th in 30mph area, triple engines have loads of pull low down the rev range there not like a inline 4.

donut

Reaction score
This happened with my 2015 MT-09 surging/hunting on a constant throttle. Cured by fitting one of Kev's O2 controllers or by getting the ecu re-flashed by Simon.

chump

Reaction score
Surging. It's the fuelling switching between open and closed loop.

John Barlow

Reaction score
Yep surging, and yes ecu flash by Simon cures this and a few other niggles as well.

sprint

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that the secondary air solenoid is opening & closing as it does as It reaches speed no surge for extra juice this could make the bike feel jerky. I noticed this when i ran it in 1rst gear on centre stand.. makes power delivery a tad volatile..

chump

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that the secondary air solenoid is opening & closing as it does as It reaches speed no surge for extra juice this could make the bike feel jerky. I noticed this when i ran it in 1rst gear on centre stand.. makes power delivery a tad volatile..
nothing to do with SAI which operates only on the overrun.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Surging. It's the fuelling switching between open and closed loop.
ask your mechanic to check the injections synchronicity.. it should be correctly adjusted at first 1000km service and every 10000km.
it may they are in a loss as could happen from bike to bike.
if it is setted properly then the bike reaches 200km fast & easy when the fuel comsumption remains enough low..
first you have to fix this and then if you want and need more power... flash it!

sprint

Reaction score
Yes syncing the throttle body's are very important, manual states no more than 1.33 kpa differences from reference body. I discovered that I could NOT get it accurate enough with the Sync pro I got off ebay.. Almost but just a tad out I can feel a slight vibration & there is a slight power loss. I measured 22kpa while on idle which makes 1.33 kpa a very small target to hit bang on the middle..I have purchased 3 medical vacuum sensors & wrote some sync calibration software for them on a pic mcu. Going to put together next week. My sync shall have a 0.05 kpa resolution with adjustable averaging when I do the Sync. I think the factory uses this type of accuracy since I could not get it as good as when I purchased my bike new.. So it would be Interesting to see what I get with this super Sharp measurement tool..

Last edited:

Kinjane

Reaction score
I sync mine using equipment then give it a final tweak by ear. A very slight turn in or out of adjustment on one cylinder screw makes itself audibly apparent.
When the jobs done well another bar on my Tach display starts flickering, the cylinders no longer fight each other so engine speed is just a little bit higher.

sprint

Reaction score
Well that is certainly another way to go .. I shall look out for additional idle speed when I hit the centre spots..