Movement in front end when slowing down/stopping.

gotoGaz

Reaction score
Hi, I'm on my 6th Yamaha ;) I love them.

Decided to get rid of my MT 07 and get the MT 09 Tracer. I've had it a good few months but recently I've noticed when slowing down and coming to a stop the front end becomes wobbly and as you come to a stop it feels like the handlebars are tilting slightly forward. I've had it into Yamaha and they replaced the handlebar holders under the recall program.

I know there are problems with speed wobble at higher speeds, but this is when slowing and coming to a stop. It's like the whole front end is slightly wobbling/vibrating. It's hard to describe. They showed me at Yamaha that putting both my hands under the forks whilst he was pushing the bike up and down, you could feel a clicking noise like it was slightly moving forward, but he also tried it on a new 17 model and that did the same, so he reckons that is just how it is!!!

Mine is a 16 reg. I don't believe it's right. This is my 6th Yammy and never had this. It feels very unsafe.....

Has anyone else got/had this problem or know what it could be?

Might to it to an independent garage and just see if they think it's ok.

wakers

Reaction score
Sounds like the headstock is loose? ... Mine doesn't do it that's for sure...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

gotoGaz

Reaction score
Hi, my last post was not added, think it may have been a link to try and describe the problem....I've been out on the bike and I think I can see what is happening. The big nut (not very technical) in the centre of the handle bars seems to be loose!! When you rock the bike back and forth, you can see the nut moving. I've taken photos and there seems to be a gap....not sure if that was there or whether it has comes loose but the steering is definitely become more unstable when coming to a stop.

I've spoken to Yamaha....again and they are having a look at it next Friday.

Can anyone say whether there should be a gap under that nut?

20170818_161541.jpg20170818_161554.jpg20170818_161606.jpg

stevecbr

Reaction score
Either the headraces are loose and/or the top nut you have pictured is loose.
No bike should knock from the front forks like you describe, it proves the head races are either extremely worn or loose.
If the 17 plate did it to, it doesnt prove they are all like that, just the shop you bought it from are crap, and when they took it out of the crate and did the PDI inspections, they obviously didnt do it properly!
I would be seriously concerned with having my bike serviced by such an incompetent mechanic

gotoGaz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We spoke to Yamaha early this morning as I had to take the bike out last night and it was becoming violently unstable when slowing down. I told them about the nut and how it appeared to be loose and they told us to bring it in as an emergency today :)

We've just been and the guy came out as we pulled up. I rocked the bike to show him the nut was moving and as his touched it, it fell off!!!!!!!! PMSL!

So yes, it was loose. They say they have no idea what has happened and how it was not picked up when the handlebar holders were replaced.

The great news, is they have now put it on correctly and I rode it home with no problems, the shaking and vibrations have gone :)

Thanks for your help :)

gotoGaz

Reaction score
Have you had any problems with steering when slowing down? Check the nut nut is tight....mine came off when Yamaha twisted it! They said it was not right. They have put mine on correctly now.

wakers

Reaction score
It's pretty staggering that it wasn't picked up when you first went in, I would go somewhere else from now on...

gotoGaz

Reaction score
It's pretty staggering that it wasn't picked up when you first went in, I would go somewhere else from now on...

We are! lol

The original work was carried out by by a dealership in Chorley (no names mentioned) lol

We are now using a dealership in Wigan. They seem more interested and polite.

bobh

Reaction score
The big chrome dome nut (on Yamahas at least) is more than an ornament - it is actually the locknut that keeps the head bearings adjusted. So if it comes loose the head bearings will gradually slacken off, as you have found. And if it has come loose, there is a definite procedure for readjusting the head bearing preload, so just tightening it back up is not sufficient.

I've not checked the spec on the MT-09 (I don't have a manual), but I've just re-greased the head bearings on my Fazer8 and it's torqued up to 110Nm, which is pretty tight. It's also important to slacken off the fork leg clamp bolts on either side of the top yoke when torquing it up, so the top yoke can pull down square (and don't forget to do them up again or you will get a different clicking noise - how do I know this?)

deadb0y

Reaction score
I has a similar low speed instability issue, more like a tank slapper actually. Tightening up the head bearings did the trick - it's stable now. I'm wondering if this is common with these bikes. Mine had been unstable since I bought it but it only shows when you do no handed!

kev

Reaction score
My dealer couldn't even do the oil change on the first service (the oil warning light came on a few miles down the road) low on oil.
I won't be taking it back there for the next service, in fact I'll do it myself, as I intend to keep it I'm not bothered about service record.
Where are the old school mechanics who knew everything about bikes?

wakers

Reaction score
My local dealer has an old school mechanic and it's half the reason they are busy, always approachable and always explains in depth what they've done and why, it's also one of the reasons I bought my MT09 and not a GSX 1000 another dealer had on offer ...