MT 09 2017 Fueling issues?

PM2017

Reaction score
Just got my new MT 09 last Saturday and am wondering if anybody else is having fuelling issues between 2500 & 4000 rpm. Basically it feels like you are about to run out of petrol with a push/pull effect?
On checking the owners manual it recommends premium unleaded or E10 and I'm wondering if it needs the higher spec unleaded rather than the lower spec unleaded which I've been using? It's going in for it's 600 Mile service this coming Saturday and they're aware of my concerns. Any advice you can give me would be great. I was thinking about filling her up with the higher spec fuel tomorrow. Can't do any harm could it?? Paul.

Last edited:

PM2017

Reaction score
I don't want to waste money on higher spec petrol but there is something seriously wrong with my new bike...

Tommy

Reaction score
Have you fitted an aftermarket exhaust? I have and I'm booking it in for a dyno and remap, runs like sh*te in the lower rev range. Was fine with the standard exhaust mind you.

Kinjane

Reaction score
These bikes run very lean @ 90kph/56mph to get through the Euro emission regulations, this is approx 3,200rpm in top gear.
Unfortunately not only does the bike run lean around 3,200rpm but also a certain amount either side of that in all the other gears so you're 2,500 -4000rpm problem sounds like normal.

But you could have an incorrectly fitted air filter making the condition much worse than is usual normal. If the dealer can find no evidence of any fault then a Kevxtx Controller or remap further down the line will correct/eliminate this known issue. The Kevxtx electronics can be easily be removed prior to putting it in for a service without any evidence of it ever being fitted - try borrowing one first to see if it solves your issue if the dealer says there is no problem with the bike.

Stuggesjoerd

Reaction score
As stated it is a known issue. You can always choose to let your ECU get flashed. As many of us has done.

PM2017

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice Kinjane.
I shall go to my dealer this weekend for the 600 mile service and if they don't sort this problem out then I shall write to Yamaha direct as this fuelling issue is making the whole new bike experience rather unpleasant.
I have just tried a tankfull of the higher spec unleaded fuel and it's not really eased the problem.

Paul

PM2017

Reaction score
Stuggesjoerd,
An option post-warranty on the understanding that your insurance would probably be invalidated for such a modification?
It would be nice, mind you, to see if the MT 09 would do an indicated 170 mph in sixth year on an autobahn near you?!

Paul

PM2017

Reaction score
Kinjane,

Are you inferring that the air filter might have been incorrectly fitted at the factory?

Paul

Seadoc

Reaction score
PM 2017, I have owned both 2016 ( standard exhaust) and 2017 ( fitted with an Akra TI ) The. 2017's fueling is a lot better than the previous models. THe problem is the Euro 4 emissions requirements forcing the manufacturers to run the very lean at lower revs. When they run under 3200rpm they run in closed loop mode influenced by the oxygen sensor and at higher revs run in open loop configuration. The transitional phase causes some surging and the only way to get rid of this is a reflash. It will not affect the longevity of the engine so is a good option if the issue troubles you as it seems to do! I would not be put of by the potential warranty issues. I the very unlikely situation of a warranty issue ( and that would not come about because of the reflash) you can always have it flashed back to standard spec before taking it to the dealer!

PM2017

Reaction score
PM 2017, I have owned both 2016 ( standard exhaust) and 2017 ( fitted with an Akra TI ) The. 2017's fueling is a lot better than the previous models. THe problem is the Euro 4 emissions requirements forcing the manufacturers to run the very lean at lower revs. When they run under 3200rpm they run in closed loop mode influenced by the oxygen sensor and at higher revs run in open loop configuration. The transitional phase causes some surging and the only way to get rid of this is a reflash. It will not affect the longevity of the engine so is a good option if the issue troubles you as it seems to do! I would not be put of by the potential warranty issues. I the very unlikely situation of a warranty issue ( and that would not come about because of the reflash) you can always have it flashed back to standard spec before taking it to the dealer!
Seadoc,

Thanks for even further insight into my fuelling issues.

Look, you and many others may be happy to throw hundreds of pounds (or NZ dollars!) at reflashes and reverse reflashes to your ECU' s, however I'm a Scotsman and tight with my money (!) and I've just bought a brand new bike so that I don't have any problems with it for those first 2 years.
If they don't sort this problem out at my Yamaha dealer tomorrow I will start with Yamaha UK and then take my campaign online to dissuade anybody else from buying a 2017 MT 09.
The new bike experience has already been spoiled for me so what have I got to lose??

Oh btw, this could probably be fixed with some sort of Yamaha semi-official ECU flash if truth be known and promulgated??

Paul

Last edited:

PM2017

Reaction score
Seadoc,

Thanks for even further insight into my fuelling issues.

Look, you and many others may be happy to throw hundreds of pounds (or NZ dollars!) at reflashes and reverse reflashes to your ECU' s, however I'm a Scotsman and tight with my money (!) and I've just bought a brand new bike so that I don't have any problems with it for those first 2 years.
If they don't sort this problem out at my Yamaha dealer tomorrow I will start with Yamaha UK and then take my campaign online to dissuade anybody else from buying a 2017 MT 09.
The new bike experience has already been spoiled for me so what have I got to lose??

Oh btw, this could probably be fixed with some sort of Yamaha semi-official ECU flash if truth be known and promulgated??

Paul
A sort of conclusion to my ongoing fuelling saga is available on the the booster plug thread...

Kinjane

Reaction score
Kinjane,

Are you inferring that the air filter might have been incorrectly fitted at the factory?

Paul
Sorry for delay - been abroad without internet (bliss actually)

It is possible if care is not taken during assembly for the filter not to seal fully creating a less restrictive air flow, almost as if an after market free flow filter had been fitted which can noticeably exacerbate the lean zone (DAMHIK)

Shaun64

Reaction score
Is everyone with a 2017 bikes having these same problems? I would start a new thread asking owners of new bikes there thoughts,this way you can get an idea as to whether your bike has a rare problem or they are all poor.ive a 2016 tracer which is fine. Good luck.