MT 09 Exhaust?

Mturkozu18

Reaction score
Hi guys. I pick up my new MT 09 next week. I want to put an Exhaust on it first and just wondering which one to go for ? All feed back would help heaps. Cheers.

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Pick a decent brand, then go with the one that looks the best for you. I doubt there would be a big difference in performance. The sound could be an issue, as it is very subjective and it would be difficult to hear first hand the range of options.
I went with the akra ti. Mainly because they make nice stuff and I liked the look. It was dead easy to fit, and to my ears, sounded nice. Unlike my VTR1000 and its unbaffled pipes, it doesn't set every dog in a 500m radius off overtime it fires up.

mtayl24

Reaction score
Its pretty much as simple as picking a look and sound you like and go with it. There is no "best exhaust" imo, it all comes down to personal preference.
I went with the arrow pipe cause i liked its stubby look and sound, and there seem to be a lot of mt09s in my area, all with arka pipes and i wanted something a bit different.
Like colin said, if you stick to a decent brand you wont get let down with whatever you buy.
Price can also be a factor as it does vary a bit between different pipes.

davie

Reaction score
Can I ask you why you want to put a new exhaust on straight away?. I too am picking my bike up next week, but am not considering it at all.

Mturkozu18

Reaction score
Hi mate. I'm gonna be riding to city for work. So I just want to be heard on the road.

flipper

Reaction score
unlikely you'll be heard by approaching traffic, only those behind you.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can guarantee you will be heard by oncoming traffic with the carbon akrapoviç...
Cars part like the red sea when filtering lol

lee1980

Reaction score
This is usually one of my reasons for an exhaust as soon as possible, simply get less people step out in front of you cars also hear you as well as see you more.
Plus it looks much better in my eyes, does seem mad though I now have a brand new stock exhaust in the loft gathering dust lol!

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
I like my modified stock exhaust, sounds awesome, but that's a project and not as easy as buying off the shelf
as has been said pick what you like the look of and if you want loud pick one with removeable baffles (DB killer)

sigtrm

Reaction score
Carbon Akrap aka Chick Hunter Deluxe. Best sound, also beautiful blue carrots.

Jay Cee

Reaction score
I am running the Termignoni, has two baffles road and race and my fave option all out, looks nice I found it a little fiddly to fit had to warm up sections of the pipe to slide them together only using the central heating though so no massive drama, good quality, the carbon version keeps good color tone with the rest of the bike and sounds amazing.

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi mate
I've got the two brothers racing system on mine and I love it.
It sounds and looks great, shaves a few kilos of weight as well as unleashing a few extra horses. All good!
One thing you may want to consider is that the stock system is one piece so unless you buy a full system then you're going to have to cut the standard system to fit a silencer.
Two potential problems; one (and it's unlikely) but you could cut the original in the wrong place by accident:mad::(
And two, you'll have to sell the bike with the new can, ie, you'll not be able to put the original exhaust back on and sell the system separately, which may be an issue.
Food for thought
Also, welcome to the club. Hope you enjoy your new toy

rusty

Reaction score
Go for the akrapovic that's offered by Yamaha as an official accessory, they wouldn't endorse it if it wasn't right for the bike.

It looks good, sounds good and is quality gear.

leave the Cat out, that saves about £80 quid ' (it is sold separately) and no re-fuelling is required. Leave the baffle in... loud pipes save lives, but this one is just a bit too loud with the baffles out ...and the flames are something else!

marksim

Reaction score
I had my Carbon Akra tested at Cadwell Park trackday without Baffle and it was 103DB,
This was at the required 5000rpm as required for a 850cc Triple.
Was well happy as ive never had baffle in and the limit there is 105DB

Tropicocity

Reaction score
Legality

Hi guys,

Been browsing this forum for a few weeks, finally registered and decided to post as I've just today passed my Mod 2 (first time, zero faults :D) and the MT-09 is literally the only bike in my sights, I think it looks bloody gorgeous, makes me wonder why I liked the look of the MT07 really!

I was wondering about the Akra carbon can - I read on a website (or a couple of them) that they are not road legal and would fail an MOT...is this true?

Thanks in advance :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi. Welcome. It's a race system so not legal but you would be very unlucky if an MOT tester failed it. Just make sure the baffle is in for the test then take it back out afterwards lol