MT-09 Lumpy engine.

Chris

Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer with a lumpy engine when throttle is in no mans land, when in a constant speed in 30mph restriction. Dealer has had bike three times to put right, I am told characteristic of the engine.

Y

youngy

Have just got back from a ride. I guess the motor is hunting a bit on a steady throttle at 30ish - a lower gear made it less pronounced.

Yamahayzr500

Reaction score
Yes mine does that 2,000 - 3.000 rpm
i change down and hold it at a higher rpm which seems to fix it. This is my 1st fuel injected bike and well its a shock. I thought modern = better ????

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FZ8 did that as well. Holding a steady throttle at a certain RPM, the bike would "surge" and "pulse".

M

MT account

you mean like "buuu bahhh buu bah ba ba bah buubbb bubbb " sounds like the thing has its nuts tuned off it n wont run below 20,0000 rpm......i kinda like it through an open pipe...

Basil

Reaction score
Thats you O2 sensor doing its job to lean the bike out. You can fix that with a lamda probe eliminator, or pcv 5.

Chris

Reaction score
Lumpy is defined as as if engine is missing. I am told it is because the engine is run so lean it does this. When trying to maintain a constant speed in traffic it is as if a plug is misfiring, open it up it is fine.

stevecbr

Reaction score
You should be able to maintain a constant speed in traffic. Do you mean if your riding with traffic at say 50 or 60mph, its doing it then?
Obviously it shouldnt be doing that, has it done many miles, and do you have other problems like over heating or mis firing?

Frugaltail

Reaction score
You should be able to maintain a constant speed in traffic. Do you mean if your riding with traffic at say 50 or 60mph, its doing it then?
Obviously it shouldnt be doing that, has it done many miles, and do you have other problems like over heating or mis firing?

Alternatively you can adjust the co2 sensors through diagnosis mode on the dash. Turn bike off hold both buttons on screen and turn key on. Wait 10 seconds and diagnostic mode opens. Toggle to co2 and change the first sensor to 5 or 6 and the second to 8 or 9. Yamaha set the co2 sensors to read zero from factory - gives nice low emissions but horrible ride.

Well, it fixed the issue on mine at least. Although once the throttle maintains it's position it's more to do with the oxoxygen sensors then co2.....

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer with a lumpy engine when throttle is in no mans land, when in a constant speed in 30mph restriction. Dealer has had bike three times to put right, I am told characteristic of the engine.
Yes, this is what they do, the dealer flash helps a bit with this, the issue is caused by a low constant throttle and the action of the o2 sensor cycling a lean/rich mixture, as said cures are an o2 sensor eliminator ( a proper one that simulates a false signal, NOT one of those plug in resistor blocks, the ecu just assumes a corrupt signal with them and makes a simulated one that makes it run even worse) or a power commander, or a non Yamaha flash that turns off the o2 sensor cycling at low RPM's.

Chris

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply, do you have any feedback on the Moto eliminator that is suggested to fit.

Thanks Chris.