Mt 09 oil lamp

Liav Segev

Reaction score
Hey guys, the oil lamp suddnly showed up after 18k.. someone knows what can it be? Maybe its because the 20k service coming up?(just guessing)thanks guys

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hey guys, the oil lamp suddnly showed up after 18k.. someone knows what can it be? Maybe its because the 20k service coming up?(just guessing)thanks guys
It means low oil level.. try to add some 100cc-200cc of oil and it will be ok.
The oil lamp was lighted up once in mine after service/oil filter change. It happened as i was accelerating the bike on a uphill road... after a couple of seconds was light off.
I check the oil level and put about 200ml of oil.
Then i realize that there were about half a liter in the bottle, which means that the mechanic had put in 2,5 liters of oil in the engine instead of the 2,7 liters that he had to put in according manual. (2,7lt with oil filter change, 2,4lt without).
In your case this happened before do the oil change so maybe the viscosity was too thin and your motor is burning it when high rev, plus you may let it in for so long.
Oil is the blood of the engine. It is critical to put in the best you can find and changing it regularely.
I put Bel-Ray EXS 10w-50 and change it with the oil filter every 5.000km.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
At 5000kms you are throwing money away , sorry but true. If Yamaha thought it needed changing at that they would say so.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Because of Yamaha suggests oil changes every 10.000km i change every 5K.
In my previous DL650 i changed it every 3K as manual writen every 6K and i did the same in every thumper i owned.
All my bikes were delivered to the next owner in superior condition even with many km on the odo...
I spent money for the "blood of the engine" and this i'm suggesting to all my friends.
I insist that 10.000km is so much for a motorcycle engine oil.
So, if the oil is in the can of our mate's bike for 8.000km he had to change it "yesterday"!

Shaun64

Reaction score
I agree with motorcycleboy and I change my engine oil at around 4000 miles instead of 6000 miles,Yamaha use extended services I.e 6000 miles engine oil change instead of 4000 mile service as plus point for buyers and if you are the sort that has a garage service your bike then it is a plus point,dirty oil wears engines.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
As i saw in the manual, Yamaha suggests to change the engine oil once a year even if the bike hasn't had done many km/mph...
So, oil wears from different factors. Also i believe that Yamalube isn't a "best quality" oil and the more mileage we do the better oil our engines need.

PaulG

Reaction score
When you rub it does a middle eastern dude appear in a puff of smoke?
Or is it a blonde american chick?