MT-09 vs. MT-07?

MadGelo

Reaction score
wonder what answers you gonna get, if ask same question on 07 forum

BarryJ

Reaction score
before buying my 09 I tried the 7 and they're both great bikes in there own right

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
After 19 years away from bikes, me and a pal test rode the mt09/mt07, we took both out, rode for about 30 mins or so, then swapped and rode back to dealer. Rode the 09 first, then 07 on return journey.... Must admit, loved em both! But the 09 had that extra, not much difference in weight when full wet.... So went for the big daddy!

Enjoying every bit of this little monster!

jezthomas

Reaction score
MT09 in B mode = MT07?

Greetings from down under!

All I can say is you lucky bar stewards! Down here the MT07 is a learner-legal bike and we're not going to be able to get hold of the one you guys are all enjoying :-(
I'm looking for my second bike and I wanted something to take me to the next level, but without scaring me senseless. I currently ride an old Ducati monster 620; it's learner-legal but good for 150km/h. Yes, learner bikes are much bigger down here! I think the MT07 would be a great next bike for me, but the version you guys have, not the puny 50hp one Yamaha, in their wisdom?, are sending us.
So I'm wondering if the MT09 in one of the less crazy modes, might be suitable for me as my second bike? This would also mean of course, that I could stick it in A mode 6-12 months later and have even more fun, but only once I can handle it. Most of my riding is urban but I'm on the open road most weekends and do the occasional big weekend trips.

Thoughts anyone?

jezthomas

Reaction score
MT-09 in B-mode reminds me my previous DL650... It is a light weight bike, easy to use on the road with progressive brakes.
But if i had to choose MT-07 i would prefer... Versys 650 !
Thanks, that's helpful; so if I did get the MT09 and stuck it on B-mode until my confidence/skill level was up, then I'd have a fun, easy bike to ride - according to you and the reviews I just read of the DL650.

jezthomas

Reaction score
I've had both bikes. No brainer MT09 is king
Yep, but I only have one option; the 07 isn't available here, in a non-learner form. But how do you think someone with only 10,000kms of riding a 45hp 620cc bike is going to get on with handling the 09 in B-mode, before I'm able to master it a bit and move onto standard mode? Thanks.

loneranger

Reaction score
don't waste your money on the MT07. Its a great great bike but you will get bored with it like i did. I had done less than 1000 mile son a 125 before I bought it. I then did 3800 mile son the 07 and now bought the 09. Its far more refined because its a triple. Yes the handling is a bit more tricky but thats because its more powerful, slightly heavier and the desire to go faster creeps in! Anyway thats my opinion. I have the deep armour will post a review video soon

jezthomas

Reaction score
don't waste your money on the MT07. Its a great great bike but you will get bored with it like i did. I had done less than 1000 mile son a 125 before I bought it. I then did 3800 mile son the 07 and now bought the 09. Its far more refined because its a triple. Yes the handling is a bit more tricky but thats because its more powerful, slightly heavier and the desire to go faster creeps in! Anyway thats my opinion. I have the deep armour will post a review video soon
That's great to know mate, thanks a bunch. I'll get a test ride sorted for next weekend! :-D

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
When you do the test-ride i'm sure that you 'll find the answers you need... after 10k on a 620 45hp your next step is to get an MT-09. You can also test-ride and other models you like just to get the right decision... and then you will order the MT for sure !
If you live in UK, consider that Yamaha offer's for free an Acrapovic titanium exhaust for all the MT-09s that will be ordered until the 31st of May.. That's an even greater deal for the best value-for-money bike of the moto market today!

Deadhead

Reaction score
I went from an ER6n >> MT-07>>MT-09...All brilliant bikes. The ER6 is showing it's age since the launch of the 07.
The 07 is a top commuter bike returning amazing fuel consumption however you ride it. As a weekend bike it's still so good with some great standard fitted tyres and plenty of low down torque. I suppose where it lacks is that is runs out of steam earlier on, that's not to say it's not a hoot to ride.
The 09 offers more of everything over the 07..better brakes, more power, more torque etc..
Riding in B mode makes the bike feel less urgent than even the 07 so if you are concerned it's the perfect mode to learn in. It's a very docile bike in B mode.
A mode and std mode feel is bit more abrupt and need a little more delicacy on the throttle.....my god they are hellish fun when you're ready!!
Personally if you want one bike to do it all..commute in the week and fun at the weekends the MT-09 ticks all the boxes.

bram-bram

Reaction score
I had an MT07 for 8 months. Crashed it lightly as I slid on gravel in a turn on a shitty road, the insurance company wanted to buy me a new one instead of repairing, the dealership didn't had the color I had and wanted, so I was a bit forced to go with something else, so I took the MT09.

Differences are quite a few. First thing you notice, as you push it around, the weight difference. Not a lot, but you feel it. I loved how light the MT07 was. If I dropped a glove, I could actually pick it up from the ground without getting of the bike, not worried it will fall over if I tilt too much. Not exactly the same with the 09.
Then, as you get on the bike, you notice a more upright position (which I like) and the foot pegs are located more backwards than on the MT07 (which I personally don't prefer, but it's ok).
The seat on the 09 is complete disappointment. On the 07 it has more padding, so you can ride at least twice longer without getting the butt numb. The shape and angle on the 09 makes you slide towards the tank when slowing down and it's not comfortable with such a narrow support for your ass and the groin being pressed against the tank. (I am trying to get the seat modified or replaced)
Road comfort is much lower on the 09 compared to the 07. You feel every fine surface irregularity in your hands and butt. And when going fast, it feels that the tires are not in good contact with the surface if the road is not perfectly smooth. Makes you want to go easier in turns. Crossing a railroad is quite uncomfortable on the 09 while it was no problem on the 07. It could definitely use some higher quality suspensions.
Still on the comfort topic, the throttle... Riding slow, at any speed under ~60 km/h, at a constant speed, is awful. On the 09, with the throttle perfectly still, the engine is so rough it almost jerks your head back and forth. So you end up varying the speed a few km/h up and down, so that it's either accelerating or decelerating, for the ride to be smooth. This behavior is not present with the 07, which provides a very pleasant city ride. (I am working on getting a few mods to solve this problem. If I don't manage, I will sell the bike.)
About the engine, there is no doubt about it, the 09 feels twice more powerful. I didn't feel the need for more power before, the 07 can definitely pull you properly from a stop light. But it's quite fun and exciting to have the bigger one. I can't wait to take the 09 to the race track this summer.
So, if power, acceleration is what you care most about, the choice is indeed a no-brainer. If you like to cruise in the country side, the 09 is definitely not the better choice.
Looks is a matter of taste, but if you ask me I still like the 07 better, with it's streamlined rear end and without any whole under the seat through which you can see on the other side (I bought an infill panel for the 09 to make it look more .. complete).

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I was used to control the torquey power of 09 engine when i test-rode a 07 and it seemed to me as slow as a 250cc single cylinder on-off.
OK, is a light and easy to ride bike with some vibration from the engine at a range of midle rpm, very good fuel conspumption and.. that's all.
Few days ago i've learn that the triple engine of 09 is disigned from the Japanese engineer who had disign the last R6's engine (you know... the line4 which have its massive power after 13.000rpm till 17.500rpm....) and Yamaha headquarters just ask him to make the new engine "reliable"... the result of this "reliable" need is the 09's triple !

Dry509

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for those outstanding comments. Exactly what I was looking for. Have you tried theTriumph Tger 800? I wonder if the Tiger suspension is better?

I had an MT07 for 8 months. Crashed it lightly as I slid on gravel in a turn on a shitty road, the insurance company wanted to buy me a new one instead of repairing, the dealership didn't had the color I had and wanted, so I was a bit forced to go with something else, so I took the MT09.

Differences are quite a few. First thing you notice, as you push it around, the weight difference. Not a lot, but you feel it. I loved how light the MT07 was. If I dropped a glove, I could actually pick it up from the ground without getting of the bike, not worried it will fall over if I tilt too much. Not exactly the same with the 09.
Then, as you get on the bike, you notice a more upright position (which I like) and the foot pegs are located more backwards than on the MT07 (which I personally don't prefer, but it's ok).
The seat on the 09 is complete disappointment. On the 07 it has more padding, so you can ride at least twice longer without getting the butt numb. The shape and angle on the 09 makes you slide towards the tank when slowing down and it's not comfortable with such a narrow support for your ass and the groin being pressed against the tank. (I am trying to get the seat modified or replaced)
Road comfort is much lower on the 09 compared to the 07. You feel every fine surface irregularity in your hands and butt. And when going fast, it feels that the tires are not in good contact with the surface if the road is not perfectly smooth. Makes you want to go easier in turns. Crossing a railroad is quite uncomfortable on the 09 while it was no problem on the 07. It could definitely use some higher quality suspensions.
Still on the comfort topic, the throttle... Riding slow, at any speed under ~60 km/h, at a constant speed, is awful. On the 09, with the throttle perfectly still, the engine is so rough it almost jerks your head back and forth. So you end up varying the speed a few km/h up and down, so that it's either accelerating or decelerating, for the ride to be smooth. This behavior is not present with the 07, which provides a very pleasant city ride. (I am working on getting a few mods to solve this problem. If I don't manage, I will sell the bike.)
About the engine, there is no doubt about it, the 09 feels twice more powerful. I didn't feel the need for more power before, the 07 can definitely pull you properly from a stop light. But it's quite fun and exciting to have the bigger one. I can't wait to take the 09 to the race track this summer.
So, if power, acceleration is what you care most about, the choice is indeed a no-brainer. If you like to cruise in the country side, the 09 is definitely not the better choice.
Looks is a matter of taste, but if you ask me I still like the 07 better, with it's streamlined rear end and without any whole under the seat through which you can see on the other side (I bought an infill panel for the 09 to make it look more .. complete).

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
I owned an MT 07 for a year and I have owned my MT 09 for a month , the MT 07 is a great bike but on close inspection compared to the MT 09 there are several areas where you can see it built to a budget , namely the suspension and swingarm , being really picky the biggest fault - although not a fault - is that the MT 07 runs out of steam , which is a shame . it could do with another 20 bhp , the bonus is that it is really good on gas but you'll be running cheap Texan gas anyway !!!!!! the MT 09 might be better suited to the long Texan roads ( Big Bend here we come !! ) the only thing I don't really like about the MT 09 is that the front of the engine behind the header pipes where the water pump housing is , is ugly but if that's the only fault then it shows what a good bike the MT 09 is ! cheers . ;)

bram-bram

Reaction score
I took my MT09 to the racing track yesterday. It was my second time I went at the track, last time being with the MT07. Goddamn the MT09 is strong and fast! It's scary-fun :)

Safoo

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum (will post a hello soon enough), but I wanted to give my 2 cents worth...

I went to a Yamaha demo ride day and the 1st bike I jumped on was the 07.

I was looking for a new ride and really hoped to fall in love with the cheaper 07. BUT...

It was cramped (I'm 5' 10" 175 lbs, so no giant), uncomfortable, bouncy as all hell and suffered from a jerky throttle. That and the fact I had to move my head to see the dash kinda had me bummed out... I suppose she has enough power but it didn't feel "special"... she looks great though, nice modern and aggressive lines.

Then I tried the 09, Wow what a difference, fell in love with the thing after a few acceleration runs. Seat is not the comfiest, but I found it way more comfortable than the 07.
I actually had the Yamaha guy come and inform me that the 07 was really developed for women and that's why it was so uncomfortable to me... Seemed a strange thing to say? (don't see any actual marketing to women except the photo of a gal riding an 07 in the brochure), I just smiled and asked to ride the 09 ;)

I bought the 09... enough said :)

loneranger

Reaction score
well least you dint buy the 07 like me for a year and discover the 09 is far better bike! Ive got the 09 now in Deep Armour quality!