MT-09 V's ?

Xpress

Reaction score
So, here i am pondering over a new MT-09 and am just curious if anyone could tell me the pros and cons for it in comparison to the new Kawasaki Z850

I've always been a Z fan due to the 'bomb proof' engine that can sit at a ton and keep going at that speed all day long if you so wished.

Z's are heavy though and, to be hnoest, have never really felt comfortable enough to get down into a bend.. open roads with nice straights or swerves are fine, but never had the big confidence with Z's on tighter corners.

As much as Ihave done short journeys on my bikes,iam more of a long journey type so comfort has to play a part too.

What differences could I expect between the two, what benefits will I get with an MT?

biggiep

Reaction score
With the comfort seat option and a decent screen I can imagine the MT-09 would be a comfy cruiser but it's limited tank range might spoil the fun.

That being said the MT would be much nicer on the twisties due to the light weight and torque.

But to me, having sat on the Z and MT, what ruled out the Z straight away for me were the pegs. The MT pegs are beautifully low and its something I've wanted manufacturers to do for a long time. I had to do a buell peg mod on the b-king I had because they were silly high for a sit up and beg bike!

MT's are also screwed together a lot nicer than Kwaks, the feel of the bike is of BMW type quality!

mt dave

Reaction score
i agree with you the pegs are low and what feel you get when sitting on the bike you feel so natural not a lover of kawasaki build quality

Idle Idol Idyll

Reaction score
Actually, I found the pegs too high and cramped (I'm 183cm or about 6' in American).
Gilles (Yamaha accessories listing) make a pretty set of fully adjustable pegs/levers and without those, I wouldn't buy the MT 09 Billet Foot Pedals Adjuster Kit (Rear Set) | Y-Shop New Zealand. As for the passenger pegs; my wife is not Japanese so the std pegs have her knees banging into her chin. We've had to order custom billet rear hangers too.

Andrew73

Reaction score
There is no competition...every bike mag compares it with a Triumph...why? because it has a triple engine too?...the MT09 is almost in it's own league/type...it's unique and should be viewed as being so.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
In was trying to classify it on Youtube earlier. It's not really a naked or super naked bike and its not a supermoto, its not just a 'commuter' or a sunday thrash bike…….I classified it as a Street bike lol. NO idea why its compared to the the Triumphs either. Totally different machines imo. Regarding the Z850, the MT is a might lighter and more nimble. Do you like in line 4 engines?? You need to go test ride both!

Just to compare the triumph 'visually'

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Wrong Triumph comparison, if you ask me.
My mate has a Speed Triple R and that's where Yamaha were looking to pinch sales from. It might be down on horsepower and cc, but it so-undercuts it on price we all went out and bought them.

The handlebars are higher on the MT than the Fazer 1000 (2000-05) and that makes it a very comfortable ride in my book having owned both.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I don't think there are any comparisons to triumph to be honest, the street or the speed.

flydnb

Reaction score
I don't think there are any comparisons to triumph to be honest, the street or the speed.
I agree mate, the mt is definitely a bike on its own , its odd because I come from an off road background and the riding position is very similar and I met a bloke at the dealer who also comes from an off road background and he also bought one, I think that's why there have been some bad reviews from some mags that are focused on superbikes , the fact is it suits my riding style too I have no problem with the throttle in fact I think its smooth especially after coming off of very on/off enduro and motocross bikes, so for me this is almost the perfect bike.

Cypher

Reaction score
I have no problem with the throttle in fact I think its smooth especially after coming off of very on/off enduro and motocross bikes, so for me this is almost the perfect bike.
I'd say the throttle does take some getting used to. Took me around 1000 miles till I decided to switch to the A mode and, if before that A felt mega jerky and close to unusable especially in traffic, then now it's the only mode I use and it feels silky smooth for some reason.

Otherwise, agree to everything else as well. We're all individual and not all bikes suit everyone. Those who like leaning forward won't like MT-09, those who like to sit upright will hate Fireblades, etc. I think that's why bikers are so different to cagers - because we're more individual in a way (if that makes sense) :)

Birdy

Reaction score
Only thing pissing me off is lack of weather protection from crap rear hugger ,RnG doing one soon but £115 for a piece of plastic .Apart from that ... luv it :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was on M&P website mate, coming soon , not to kin me it isnt ! R&G .... rob & .........ummm... cant think of a g one .... you know what i mean !! lol
Yes I do know what u mean...

I didn't see a price when I looked on Robbin Gits website...
I'm sure I can see my parts lady and get it loads cheaper...Lol

Birdy

Reaction score
Saw it on r&g site no price , no wonder ! Seems a lot when you compare it to powerbronze one , which im not too fussed on , but must say looks great on yours mate !!! :eek:

Slappyhead

Reaction score
I agree mate, the mt is definitely a bike on its own , its odd because I come from a cottaging background and the gloryhole position is very similar, I met a bloke at the local toilet who also comes from a cottaging background and he also bought one, I think that's why there have been some bad chafing from some holes that are not dremelled smoothly , the fact is that it suits my cottaging style too I have no problem with a big stiffy in fact I think its lovely being so smooth especially after coming off. Dogging and cottaging is my life.
Crikey Fly. You are frisky.