MT09 2015 hard start and stall

Junx27

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
I have an MT09 still running stock everything. After 7000km, it start to very hard to start when the engine warm and when i fill up my tank. I spend my time to firgure it out. I ride for a while, mostly cruise in the city. When the engine hit 105, fan kick in. I kill the engine with the kill switch ( key still on). It fire up immediatlly. But when i turn key off, it hard to start. I must wait till the engine temp drop to 80 celcius to start the bike. I load in the diag menu and here is the value.
The throtlle in close position
13=16
14=18
15=17
So i want to ask : is this ECU problem? Does a fuel controller can fix it?
Plzzzz help!!!

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Your engine doesn't work properly.
That could happens from many reasons but mostly caused from bad fueling.. maybe a false TPS or missadjusted injection or dirty air-filter.
The fact that your engine usually hits 105 must allert you.
That has never had happened in my MT allthough i'm riding in the warm climate of Greece even when at "summer in the city"...
So, go straight to your dealer for an injection service and check the sparks if they are in good condition.
Its not an ecu problem and a fuel controller could help a "healthy" and well serviced bike when yours i'm sorry but is not.
P.S.
Ask your dealer if, when the bike had its first service, he had done the injection adjustment/synchronicity which is asked for the 1st service and every 10K km according owner's manual and be sure that this adjustment will be done this time...

Junx27

Reaction score
Thanks you [MENTION=245]motorcycleboy[/MENTION] for your reply . i had change the spark plug at 6500km. and yes, in my country that fuel is not good enough. So is this ok if everytime i fill the tank, i use some octane plus?

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mine hits 105 degrees every day I ride through the city and get stuck in traffic, its totally normal.
Mine has now done over 19000 miles, and no problems so far.
As for hard starting, it most likely poor servicing. Do you trust that your dealer has done what you have paid for? I had my plugs changed at 18000 miles, and my dealer said they still looked like new.
If fuel is poor quality in your area, then yes I would use an aditive

LewFZ1

Reaction score
7000kms is only 4375 miles so apart from the very first service it is not even due another service yet? Is the bike still under warranty?

Junx27

Reaction score
Mine hits 105 degrees every day I ride through the city and get stuck in traffic, its totally normal.
Mine has now done over 19000 miles, and no problems so far.
As for hard starting, it most likely poor servicing. Do you trust that your dealer has done what you have paid for? I had my plugs changed at 18000 miles, and my dealer said they still looked like new.
If fuel is poor quality in your area, then yes I would use an aditive
i dont trust my dealer. cuz yamaha dealer on my country not selling big bike.
today, i just checked my air fillter and it is normal. i changed the oil also. tomorrow i will take the bike to the service guy i know and synchronize the throttle body. i will update after that.

Junx27

Reaction score
7000kms is only 4375 miles so apart from the very first service it is not even due another service yet? Is the bike still under warranty?
i change oil every 2000km with motul 300v and change new ngk spark plug (CR9EIx) after the bike hit 5000km

Kinjane

Reaction score
Certainly wouldn't do any harm to see if any faults have been logged under No. '60' in the DIAG menu.

Your 13,14 &15 readings are all within spec. (13 between 9-29, 14 between 12-22 & 15 between 14-24)

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Thanks you [MENTION=245]motorcycleboy[/MENTION] for your reply . i had change the spark plug at 6500km. and yes, in my country that fuel is not good enough. So is this ok if everytime i fill the tank, i use some octane plus?
You're welcome!
Try premium quality high octane petrol if its not hard to find.. otherwise the best regular 95 you can get.
Hope that injection-synchro will solve your problem...
Where are you living/riding?

Last edited:

LewFZ1

Reaction score
If you are changing your oil at 2000km you need to learn a bit about saving the planet and saving some money, sorry had to be said. Also changing your plugs at
5000kms is also wasting money.

Junx27

Reaction score
yeah, i know that kind of expensive. but you dont know my country traffic. its so terrible. when i cruise in the city, i must use clutch alot ( i dont wanna do that). so i change the oil at 2000 is great for the long life engine.

Junx27

Reaction score
updating :
after leave my bike at the service shop. and today, when the service guy serviced my bike ( sync carb and check the sparkplug). he find out 1 cylinder has burn more gas than 2 other. i change the spark from NGK CR9EIX to stock want. and he clean up the throttle body. now it start immediatly. so the problem is solve. and he advice me sync carb after every 5000km.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Welldone!
So, as you have found a skilled and competent mechanic who knows how to do the job, you might have to trust him and don't ever change him.
The funny thing of the story is that in some small countries are some brilliant mechanics... otherwise it is a matter of luck and most of the bikes have not been serviced properly.
Keep an eye at the story of our Israeli mate Relz... his engine was ruined, IMO from unsuccefull service...
But with the proper care the triple engine is "bulletproof" and made to last for hundrends thousands of km..

Junx27

Reaction score
just test bike tonight and feel like new bike. lol . anyway, my exhaust arrived about time. i juz wait my ejk to install both at same time.

Kinjane

Reaction score
A nice easy tell when one of the butterflies has more (or less) build up than the other ones :)
I've been checking my sync roughly every 3,000 miles. Certainly keeps it running crisp.

Mat Still

Reaction score
Hi

Mine was a pig to start when it was hot. Had to hold throttle open so it caught, run it for 10 secs at 1.5k rpm and then hope that when released it would settle down. Put her in for a 12k service, they said there were error messages on the throttle sensor, had it all balanced and hey presto....all good. Will keep an eye on it as it was a right pain in the arse!!