MT09 2017 ABS won't start off button but when bumped runs fine?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help

I have full service history on the bike
15k miles on it

Was ok up until this winter when it was started for about half an hour mid winter. Then a week later the bike just wouldn't start off the button and required a bump to run.

When running bike is abseloutely fine and has a full tank of fuel

The switch was stuck on which lead me to believe it may have been the switch/brushes in the starter motor

So far we have changed:
Switch (BS2-83963-01)
Relays (swapped with my bfs working bike-2016 MT09)
Fuses (swapped with my bfs working bike- 2016 MT09)
Battery has been checked at 13v and went up while riding so alternator is ok

We've also disconnected the side stand and clutch switch

Starter Motor was pulled out and worked fine when connected to a battery but I have a newish one ready to replace that if I need to for the sake of troubleshooting

Error codes:
PO335: Crankshaft position sensor A circuit
PO638:Throttle Actuator control range / performance bank 1
P1602: Manufacture control

All the lights on the dash come on when you turn the key the indictors/horn hazards all work

Bike makes a clicking noise when you try and start it

With all the Yamaha garages closed and travel restrictions I'm running out of ideas on what I can change. Me, my dad (competent mechanic and good with electrics and troubleshooting) and my bf are all stumped

Any ideas would be great

Reaction score
After taking everything off and testing bit by bit again literally about 10 mins ago we shorted it and the bike started .. replaced it with Toby's and it fired up!

So I guess troubleshooting with a dodgy switch wasn't a good idea (it kept sticking on) I've ordered a new solenoid (so glad it wasn't the starter or the ECU)

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I'd take a look at that crankshaft position error. That can also cause problems with starting.