MT09 2017 rear shock adjustment?

PM2017

Reaction score
I thought I would bump the rear shock up to level 5.
Attacked it from all angles with the adjuster and short of dismantling 3 cables on the right hand side I couldn't get the darn tool secured to turn it up to 5.
Too much attention to a 'tidy' tail and no attention to the hapless owner who might want to take a heavy pillion passenger for a ride!
Any ideas short of dismantling this and that or presenting it to a Yamaha mechanic at the shop?

Paul

El Bandito

Reaction score
Did you use the extension bar on the end of the C spanner? I couldn't budge it on my MT07 just using the C spanner but with the extension bar I got more leverage and it moved ok one notch at a time. Not tried it on my Tracer yet but it looks the same....

PM2017

Reaction score
Extension used and yes I also was able to adjust my previous bike MT07, but not this MT09....

El Bandito

Reaction score
Had a go at changing the preload on the rear shock and find the same as PM. Using the C spanner and extension I can't move it up a notch because I can't get the C spanner in because of the rear footpeg hangers, chain guard and brake pipes! Managed to move it down one though but can't get it back now.
The bike will be in for the 600 service next week so I suppose I better get a course from them on how to do it with the crap tools supplied.

Reaction score
Take the rear footrests off, much easier access, 6mm allen key on my 2016 i think. - make sure it's a good allen key and it's well seated as they have loctite on the threads.

I leave my rear footrests off as it makes cleaning a lot easier, they go back on if i'm taking my good lady out.

PM2017

Reaction score
Removing footrests will make no difference. As for an Allen key are you talking about rear shocks or even the correct model of bike??

El Bandito

Reaction score
Bike was in for its 600 service today so I asked what the secret was for adjusting the preload on the rear shock. The mechanic agreed that using the Yamaha toolkit it would probably be best to remove a rear footpeg hanger since the Yamaha C spanner is crap.
He said that he had a C spanner that he acquired many years ago and it fitted better and could do the job without taking the footpeg off. He did offer to adjust mine for me but I'm happy with it softened off a bit down at level 3.

Reaction score
Removing footrests will make no difference. As for an Allen key are you talking about rear shocks or even the correct model of bike??
Yes, quite sure it's an MT09, - it says so on the fake air inlet anyway...

Removing the footrest - not just the footpeg - opens up the back end around the shock, makes access easier.

If you're going to leave them off you'll need some footrest removal plates for the brake reservoir though.

s-l1600.jpg

MT09 rear end with pillion footpegs removed - note the rear shock being more accessable...

mt-09 rear light.jpg

And part number 901100809600 footrest bolt is removed with a 6mm allen key.

Last edited:

El Bandito

Reaction score
Yorklad,

Is that the Powerbronze hugger you have fitted? Does it make much difference to the amount of crap on the shock?

PM2017

Reaction score
Thanks for expanding on the need for an allen key and photo's.
There's no mention of removing footrests in the manual - oddly enough!

I'll have another look and reassess the job!

Thanks for your help.

PM