MT09 center stand from the Tracer?

marksim

Reaction score
Presumably those hyperventilating over the additional weight of a centre stand are the same people who never fill their tanks more than halfway because of the extra 7 kilograms involved :rolleyes:
To me its easy
those wanting a bike without centre stand get the MT-09
With Centre stand get the Tracer
Totally different bikes for different peoples needs and styles.
The MT-09 is a HOONING BIKE;)

Kinjane

Reaction score
But you'd never be able to fit a centre stand to a REAL hooning bike, let alone buy one off the shelf as a bolt on item. But worst of all you Hooner now comes with ABS ;)

shigidar

Reaction score
Have you not heard of Paddock stands
there available for front and back and you therefore can get both wheels off the ground.
This way you can do whatever you want and even run the engine in gear so much easier to oil your chain.
How do you think everybody goes on at races or trackdays
the centre stand restricts ground clearance,adds weight ,looks awefull and just gets clogged up with dirt and is always in the way.
:)
returned to riding after 12 years. been riding from 1986 ... last one was ZZR600 which had a center stand even if it was a sport bike.
All the jesters that joke about my question, either give a normal replay or go play elsewhere...
I know about the Paddock stands of course, but they have few problems for me
1) need some one to help ( there is no one)
2) need level ground ( not so level at my parking )
3) need space in fron and back of the bike like additional 1 meter ( don't have it)

So does any one knows about a center stand solution that is not SW or Hepke.
The wooden stand need additional person to use ?

marksim

Reaction score
But you'd never be able to fit a centre stand to a REAL hooning bike, let alone buy one off the shelf as a bolt on item. But worst of all you Hooner now comes with ABS ;)
My ABS has a on/off switch,which i wired in line from the 30amp ABS motor fuse.
I bought my MT 2nd hand for a good price and it came with the ABS.
If i had bought new i would of got without.
Am afraid that by next year all bikes over 125cc in the UK bought new will have to come standard with ABS.
In most of the USA and Australia they dont have ABS on their MT FZ bikes but over here the people that be have decided that we cant ride bikes and that we need it.
Traction control and anti wheelie will be the next thing for all new bikes and proper rider skill will be a thing of the past.

marksim

Reaction score
returned to riding after 12 years. been riding from 1986 ... last one was ZZR600 which had a center stand even if it was a sport bike.
All the jesters that joke about my question, either give a normal replay or go play elsewhere...
I know about the Paddock stands of course, but they have few problems for me
1) need some one to help ( there is no one)
2) need level ground ( not so level at my parking )
3) need space in fron and back of the bike like additional 1 meter ( don't have it)

So does any one knows about a center stand solution that is not SW or Hepke.
The wooden stand need additional person to use ?
Will this do for you

Warrior Spider Stand | Demon Tweeks

RatHead

Reaction score
Its down to the individuals choice whether they want a centre stand. I wouldn't have one myself but could see their uses, eg lubricating chain when touring. For those concerned with added weight, it will probably add less weight than ABS.

marksim

Reaction score
Its down to the individuals choice whether they want a centre stand. I wouldn't have one myself but could see their uses, eg lubricating chain when touring. For those concerned with added weight, it will probably add less weight than ABS.
Cant you just oil the chain and roll the bike forward
The MT is so light its so easy just to spin it round on the side stand
Glad Yamaha saw sense and didnt fit one.
The last bike i had and still have one with a centre stand is my RD400F,but ive taken it off anyway as it just scrapes on the road in corners..
Infact it caused me to crash once about 30years ago

shigidar

Reaction score
This is a few clips of what yamaha wanted the MT to be
Its a hooning bike not a Fazer

Well the truth is that you can go "hooning" on any bike or car for that matter. Yamaha wanted to bring back the classic naked bike with muscles
The thing with those bikes that any one could mod them to what they like
Caffe Racer
light Turing
Track bike
commute bike
hooning

and it is what appealing in this bike it is his versatility and the great feel it gives you.

marksim

Reaction score
I was not aware of this product. Thank you, will look into it
No probs,hope it helps.
My mate even transports his bike to trackdays using this in the back of his van.
He payed alot more for his though than the price above but hes had his for a couple of years.

karmag

Reaction score
Abba Stand

I have an ABBA stand that I have used with other bikes. Can't see that it takes up anymore room than a centrestand whilst using it.
Reeseyboy have you used your Abba stand with the Tracer?

Recently got a Tracer and had an Abba stand from previous bike, looked on Abba website for fitting kit for Tracer and it says that stand not compatible with Tracer, although OK for Mt-09!!

Thanks

TommyM

Reaction score
Lot of hate for the centre stand idea here! I looked into it myself as the detriment to performance is negligible and they are so handy. I reckon a Tracer part should fit but it might be cheaper to look at SW Motech

king kenny

Reaction score
read comments and as for paddock stands not much use if your going abroad and a center stand on a mt09 really handy if you do not like it take it off!! kinjane is right and a few normal comments to help would be better than mt,s don,t have center stands or other negative comments everyone to there own and the mt is a very capable bike manic or not!!

Littlebruv

Reaction score
It's a shame 1jac don't do a stand for the MT09, I had one for a Honda CB600FAC which only had a side stand

andz

Reaction score
I have a Tracer and removed the centre stand to fit the Akrapovic pipe that I have installed.

I have bobbins on the swingarm and use a paddock stand to lube the chain, it is a one man operation to get it up and down again.

I hook the stand under the left bobbin, then push down gently on the stand until the bike is upright and the right bobbin is hooked then push the stand down until the bike is settled.

I have a Givi topbox bracket which makes the bike easier to keep hold of during this operation.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I have a Tracer and removed the centre stand to fit the Akrapovic pipe that I have installed.

I have bobbins on the swingarm and use a paddock stand to lube the chain, it is a one man operation to get it up and down again.

I hook the stand under the left bobbin, then push down gently on the stand until the bike is upright and the right bobbin is hooked then push the stand down until the bike is settled.

I have a Givi topbox bracket which makes the bike easier to keep hold of during this operation.
I take it you fitted the MT09 exhaust and not the Tracer exhaust ?

bobh

Reaction score
For info - I have recently got hold of a Tracer centre stand to put on my 2016 MT-09. You need the mounting plates as well as just the stand and spring. Also the standard (1st generation) exhaust with the heat shield doesn't give enough clearance, so you need to remove the heat shield and grind off the mountings (or get hold of a Tracer exhaust).

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit to do the necessary mods, but if anyone's thinking of fitting a stand, I think the SW Motech one would be an easier option. If I knew then what I know now I'd certainly have gone that way.

As to getting the bike onto a paddock stand, I prop up the sidestand (in my case with a short length of old floorboard, but other bits of wood are available) so the bike's nearly upright, which makes manipulating the stand under the bobbins, and lifting the bike fully vertical, much easier. I still have the original number plate hanger, so I have something to grab hold of to lift the bike upright - and to hold as you let the bike off the stand again, to make sure it drops the right way. Probably trickier if you've got a tail tidy and nothing else (pillion grab handles, luggage carrier etc.) to get hold of.