MT09 Clocks/speedo have failed

stevecbr

Reaction score
I have a 2013 MT09, I have owned from new, and its covered 37500 miles.
Today the clocks/dash started to fail and froze up. After stopping and restarting the bike, the bike runs fine, the neutral/indicator/main beam idiot lights work, the screen lights up but there is nothing showing on the display, ie speed, fuel, mileage etc
Is this a known problem, and I am wondering if its the clocks have failed and need replacing/repairing, or a fault somewhere else?
New clocks are the £500 mark, there are places that can repair them for the £200 mark, but dont want to spend money if they are not at fault.
Photo attached is bike running in garage, as you can see power is going to the clocks and the neutral light is on, just screen is blankIMG_20201111_161958438_HDR.jpg

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging the clock to power down then plug back in ?.

stevecbr

Reaction score
They are currently removed from the bike and are in a bag of rice in my airing cupboard (in case of water damage, although there are no visible signs of water damage and the terminals look clean). Battery has also been removed and is on charge. I will re-install them both this weekend and hopefully they will magically work again!
I had an email back from Autotronics, who have told me its a screen issue and they are unable to repair.

cbshep

Reaction score
Hi, did you get a solution to this? My clocks have done the same.
Cheers

stevecbr

Reaction score
I contacted scorpion electronics, cartronics and autotronics, they said it was a common fault and is not repairable.
Carmo UK suggested they may be able to repair, but I think there is a £50 charge plus postage to have a look first, which seems a waste of money as I have already been told it unrepairable. There is a chap on Ebay who replaces the lcd screen on the MT07, who replied saying he didnt yet do the mt09 lcd screens. The dash is still broken, I disconnected the ribbon and reattached, still no joy.
My options are a new set, £502 new from Yamaha, or a 2nd hand set of Ebay (just make sure they are UK spec, not European)
Mine is an early 2013, so no ABS, quick shifter or traction. I think clocks from a newer model may fit, as the connector block is the same, and they both have 24 pins (the diference is my loom on my bike only has about 18 pins connected

stevecbr

Reaction score
In case tou wondered whats inside the casings, photos attached.
The LCD screen ribbon is circle in red, apparently sometimes this comes loose causing the screen to play up, this can be clipped out and reinserted

Attachments

ikiroi

Reaction score
Just got this same symptom. Had the bike in warm for 6months, without battery of course. Plugged in the battery 2 days ago, did few startups with no issues. Suddenly last night, it didnt show anything on the screen - idiotlights are all functional and the engine runs normal.

@stevecbr Did you solve this anyhow? How did you clip out the ribbon cable? Just pull with tweezers?

stevecbr

Reaction score
Solved now, bought a 2nd hand replacement from Ebay.
It appears a common fault, quite a few people on MT facebook page have this problem. The ribbon just pulls out and plugs back in, just be careful and not ham fisted. Apparently this ribbon cable can come loose, but wasnt the case with my unit
Every firm I contacted is aware of this issue, they all said it was non repairable and required a new speedo. In theory a replacement LCD screen would work, but these are not available to buy seperately.
Watch out for firms that will charge you £50 to diagnose, and then come back and tell you they are non repairable!