MT09 common mod feedback

bacon

Reaction score
Hey all,

In light of it being quiet here I thought I would add a short post to review a few things I have done to my 2016 MT09. It might help others decide what to do themselves!

Ok so first off:

K-tech Razor R rear shock / Ktech 20IDS fork cartridges with KTech springs.(9.8cst oil in comp leg, 15.9cst in reb leg)

* Rear shock feels excellent and far more controlled than the standard shock, fully adjustable for comp, reb, shock length and preload. Stock shock would pogo stick around over bumps, this does not. Highly reccomended.

* Forks feel rather harsh (compression) even with most of the compression dialed out. It is sport bike stiff, but the bike does handle rather well now, brake dive is eliminated and it is a maassive improvement over the stock setup.

Given the choice again I would do both without hesitation.

IMG_20180729_141456.jpg IMG_20180729_141451.jpg

MT09 2013-2016 Comfort seat

I find this a marked improvement over the stock seat, I only paid £70 so I am happy with it for that, though I hear the 2017 comfort seat is far better. Being a short arse though this is perfect as it doesn't add any ride height to the seat from the stock item. Stock seat would cause my butt to ache after 20mins or so, this doesn't have this issue.

Yamaha heated grips

Fitted these at the weekend, official Yamaha heated grips, they connect directly to the battery and have an auto shut off feature. I ran the main wire along the left side of the bike, along the throttle cables under the tank (just loosen the tank to tuck this under and zip tie), it then runs under the front plastic shroud that fits to the tank.
The left grip cable I ran the along the clutch cable and connected it to the main wire under the top yoke along side the left fork. The cable to connect to the right grip I ran behind the dash.
The right grip wire I ran along the switchgear wire and then behind the dash and connected to the left cable.

First thoughts today are that they feel warm quickly on the hottest setting (with summer gloves), it took about 25mins before I felt the need to turn them down a notch. They are only 22W max power draw though so I imagine they will be no where near as hot as a set of Oxford grips on full whack (48W, 4A draw).

But they look great, they look oem.

IMG-20181013-WA0005.jpg IMG-20181013-WA0007.jpg

Chinese Savage screen

Cheap chinese OEM copy screen, looks identical, close up the quality is a little lacking, unpolished cut edges for example, but for £16, who cares.

Puig touring screen

Fair bit higher than the standard size screen, looks great side on, looks terrible head on! Riding wise it does push a fair bit of air out of the way, makes long distance far more tolerable at speed!
IMG_20180731_234536.jpg

R+G tail tidy

This was on the bike when I bought it, it looks good, but it leaves a smalll hole in the undertray uncovered that allows dirt to get inside. I will be putting my stock rear end on when I get 5mins, so if anyone wants an R+G tail tidy let me know.

I've also shod the bike with some Michelin PR5's they are working rather well.

Last thing I want to do is to fit a decent exhaust, I did buy a Lextek XP8C from Simmiperformance on ebay, it arrived and looked good but I had several issues with it which were down to build quality. I was looked after by Simmiperformance throughout and they refunded me fully. Lextek admitted that they allowed a batch of under par systems to hit the shelves, I was unlucky it seems. So I am still on the lookout for something decent without having to pay £700+ for a carbon Akra.

Anyway, maybe that could be of help to someone!

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

fizzy

Reaction score
Nice write up on your mods Bacon, I got one of the copy screens for my bike (2018 sp)£23 delivered identical to the puig screen and good quality saving over 70 quid
I now see they doing ones the same as the yamaha ones for under 30 quid bargain!

woodie100

Reaction score
Hey all,

In light of it being quiet here I thought I would add a short post to review a few things I have done to my 2016 MT09. It might help others decide what to do themselves!

Ok so first off:

K-tech Razor R rear shock / Ktech 20IDS fork cartridges with KTech springs.(9.8cst oil in comp leg, 15.9cst in reb leg)

* Rear shock feels excellent and far more controlled than the standard shock, fully adjustable for comp, reb, shock length and preload. Stock shock would pogo stick around over bumps, this does not. Highly reccomended.

* Forks feel rather harsh (compression) even with most of the compression dialed out. It is sport bike stiff, but the bike does handle rather well now, brake dive is eliminated and it is a maassive improvement over the stock setup.

Given the choice again I would do both without hesitation.

View attachment 5208 View attachment 5210

MT09 2013-2016 Comfort seat

I find this a marked improvement over the stock seat, I only paid £70 so I am happy with it for that, though I hear the 2017 comfort seat is far better. Being a short arse though this is perfect as it doesn't add any ride height to the seat from the stock item. Stock seat would cause my butt to ache after 20mins or so, this doesn't have this issue.

Yamaha heated grips

Fitted these at the weekend, official Yamaha heated grips, they connect directly to the battery and have an auto shut off feature. I ran the main wire along the left side of the bike, along the throttle cables under the tank (just loosen the tank to tuck this under and zip tie), it then runs under the front plastic shroud that fits to the tank.
The left grip cable I ran the along the clutch cable and connected it to the main wire under the top yoke along side the left fork. The cable to connect to the right grip I ran behind the dash.
The right grip wire I ran along the switchgear wire and then behind the dash and connected to the left cable.

First thoughts today are that they feel warm quickly on the hottest setting (with summer gloves), it took about 25mins before I felt the need to turn them down a notch. They are only 22W max power draw though so I imagine they will be no where near as hot as a set of Oxford grips on full whack (48W, 4A draw).

But they look great, they look oem.

View attachment 5209 View attachment 5211

Chinese Savage screen

Cheap chinese OEM copy screen, looks identical, close up the quality is a little lacking, unpolished cut edges for example, but for £16, who cares.

Puig touring screen

Fair bit higher than the standard size screen, looks great side on, looks terrible head on! Riding wise it does push a fair bit of air out of the way, makes long distance far more tolerable at speed!
View attachment 5213

R+G tail tidy

This was on the bike when I bought it, it looks good, but it leaves a smalll hole in the undertray uncovered that allows dirt to get inside. I will be putting my stock rear end on when I get 5mins, so if anyone wants an R+G tail tidy let me know.

I've also shod the bike with some Michelin PR5's they are working rather well.

Last thing I want to do is to fit a decent exhaust, I did buy a Lextek XP8C from Simmiperformance on ebay, it arrived and looked good but I had several issues with it which were down to build quality. I was looked after by Simmiperformance throughout and they refunded me fully. Lextek admitted that they allowed a batch of under par systems to hit the shelves, I was unlucky it seems. So I am still on the lookout for something decent without having to pay £700+ for a carbon Akra.

Anyway, maybe that could be of help to someone!

Cheers
Mike
What are the DRL s ? They look nice too! You added them on? If so how and where from?

JonB