MT09 LED projector headlights

zone5

Reaction score
Hi all, I did do a forum search but didn’t find a topic on this specifically, but if I've missed it, mods pls merge, tnx...

For those that have a 2017 MT09 onwards with the “Optimus Prime” LED projector headlights, you may find, as I did, that they are pretty poor on low beam in unlit areas. Just want to let you know that adjusting them to a higher angle from the way they came from the factory made a big difference to mine, to the point where I felt comfortable up to 100 km/hr in unlit, rural areas, including around bends.

As you would see, if they are aimed too far down, the beam is a fairly narrow strip with a small vertical extent, causing the problem. I found when I adjusted them up the vertical dimension of the beam increased significantly, to the point where I was worried it might be too high... However, after an hour of night riding I didn’t get flashed once by annoyed oncoming cars, so must be OK..

The adjustment can only be reached by removing the four allen bolts on the small cover on top of the headlight assembly. The knurled knobs are NOT the adjusters - use the silver hex bolts with phillips head slots between the black knurled surrounds, screw them in to raise the beam... 10mm or 12mm spanner, I can’t remember... I do remember ending up using about two turns in from the factory setting. I suppose the two other hex bolts in the outer edges of the assembly are for left/right adjustment, I didn’t touch those...

Of course, I’ll have to adjust them again since getting the suspension tuned, as well as different springs (0.95 to 1.00 on the rear, 0.90 linear on the front instead of 0.95 “sort of” progressive) and damping we dropped the clamps slightly on the forks, so the bike will have a different stance from when I did it last... I’ll try to do the full story on the suspension mods shortly...

I’m guessing the Tracer doesn’t have this issue? At least, I’d hope not...

chrs, jc

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I'm guessing the Tracer doesn’t have this issue? At least, I’d hope not...
Must admit the Tracer headlights are brilliant from factory. I don't know why they fitted different lights to the MT when the Tracer's are so good to be honest.

It's a common problem with LED projectors though (in cars too), because LED doesn't have much 'bleed', so the cut off is very stark and makes you feel you can't see past that outline of light, whereas halogen has a diminishing edge which gives the feeling you can see farther. As you say raising them from factory setting will make a difference. Two cars I've had with LED projectors have both needed them tweaking very slightly up to get the beam just nice. Like you, I was worried they were too high but no-one flashes or seems to have a problem, so think it's all good :)

zone5

Reaction score
Indeed Otter, I also prefer the look of the Tracer headlights too... Oh well, I don’t look it in the eye when riding, so, yeah...

Guys & gals, sorry, got it the wrong way around in the above post, the knurled nuts are silver and the adjustment bolts are black. Doh!

foureyes

Reaction score
Yep. The headlight is rubbish. It's one of the reasons I'm considering selling my SP!

zone5

Reaction score
Hey foureyes, have you tried the adjustment? It certainly had me down too (despite liking all else about the bike) but I now consider them “acceptable”....

olivierzx

Reaction score
Here's a link to a howto, it's allways better with pics.

Nev1050

Reaction score
Hey foureyes, are you really thinking of selling an sp because of the lighting? I have had many bikes and find that the lights on my 17 mt09 to be among the best that i have ridden. I love the MT and think it is a ----ing awsome bit of gear. Never laughed so much on any other of my bikes. You could always change the lights to better. Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers, Neil.

foureyes

Reaction score
I am.

I enjoy riding all year. It's dark when I leave work and I expect to be able to see where I'm going. It's sh*te.

You shouldn't have to improve lighting on a brand new bike. Plus I don't like the look of auxiliary lights. Anyone surprised that Yamaha sell their own?

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Anyone surprised that Yamaha sell their own?
In fairness most manufactures sell auxilliary lights now as they are a common mod that people do themselves, so they jumped in to make a bit more cash as an optional extra.

You haven't mentioned if you've tried adjusting the lights either - as above, with these style lights they are often set a touch too low from factory and just a few millimetres up can make a massive difference.

Nosaj32

Reaction score
Hi all, I did do a forum search but didn’t find a topic on this specifically, but if I've missed it, mods pls merge, tnx...

For those that have a 2017 MT09 onwards with the “Optimus Prime” LED projector headlights, you may find, as I did, that they are pretty poor on low beam in unlit areas. Just want to let you know that adjusting them to a higher angle from the way they came from the factory made a big difference to mine, to the point where I felt comfortable up to 100 km/hr in unlit, rural areas, including around bends.

As you would see, if they are aimed too far down, the beam is a fairly narrow strip with a small vertical extent, causing the problem. I found when I adjusted them up the vertical dimension of the beam increased significantly, to the point where I was worried it might be too high... However, after an hour of night riding I didn’t get flashed once by annoyed oncoming cars, so must be OK..

The adjustment can only be reached by removing the four allen bolts on the small cover on top of the headlight assembly. The knurled knobs are NOT the adjusters - use the silver hex bolts with phillips head slots between the black knurled surrounds, screw them in to raise the beam... 10mm or 12mm spanner, I can’t remember... I do remember ending up using about two turns in from the factory setting. I suppose the two other hex bolts in the outer edges of the assembly are for left/right adjustment, I didn’t touch those...

Of course, I’ll have to adjust them again since getting the suspension tuned, as well as different springs (0.95 to 1.00 on the rear, 0.90 linear on the front instead of 0.95 “sort of” progressive) and damping we dropped the clamps slightly on the forks, so the bike will have a different stance from when I did it last... I’ll try to do the full story on the suspension mods shortly...

chrs, jc
Thanks. Will try your advice 👍👏

Hooligan_Advocate

Reaction score

chrs, jc
Anyway you can post a quick video or pictures of how you adjusted the headlights? I can't seem to find anyone else who has created a "how to" video.

zone5

Reaction score
OK, sorry again, busy times and I needed to undo a couple of things to get the photos.

The quality of the photos not great, my phone camera could be better.

The first pic shows the 5mm hex bolt removed from under the instrument cluster. Do this on both sides and the headlight assembly should pivot forward enough to allow the necessary access. Or, you can take off the top headlight cover, by removing the 4 x 4mm hex bolts. I've shown the former, but originally did the latter - either works...

The next two pics should show the two 12mm black bolts, with a #2 Phillips head incorporated. These adjust the headlight up and down. Screwing them in (clockwise) will adjust the headlights up. After a couple of trials I found just under two full turns in from the factory setting achieved what I wanted. Your preference may vary... Re-assemble and voila!

As said earlier, this took the headlights from bad to "acceptable"...

Hope that helps..

20191114_133115.png20191114_133132.png20191114_133140.png

Last edited: