MT09 Noise

joeg

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 MT-09. It is a great bike but between 50 and 65 MPH the bike has a very loud whine when under any kind of acceleration. Can someone tell me if this is normal?? The dealer says it is, but not sure i can take that to the bank. I have 2000 miles on it now. If someone could shed some light?? Someone told me to change the oil to Amsoil 10-40. Let me know some thoughts. Thanks

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Do you find it in any particular gear?

The reason I ask is mine does it in 4th and 6th - 6th gear has a pretty loud whine I can hear over my earplugs, but at over 16k miles it's clear it's simply how the gear is cut (I presume) rather than an issue.

From reading on here it seems it's one of those, some do and some don't sort of situation.

bobh

Reaction score
Yes, mine whines in 6th, and a bit in 3rd. It hasn't got any worse (or better) in 14.000 miles, so I've just got used to it. Over 60-65 (in 6th) wind noise takes over, so I don't know if it's still there above that speed!

MNiceGuy

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2020 MT-09 and am experiencing the same thing. If I shift to 6th gear at anything below 60mph the gearbox makes a VERY audible, high-pitched shrieking noise. Above that speed I can still hear the gear whine but it's significantly quieter. In general, this bike is very mechanically noisy compared to other bikes I've ridden.

My dealer, whom I trust, said it was perfectly normal and a result of attempting 6th gear too soon. The sound is not present in 5th at the same speed. I still plan to have them take it on a test ride during the 600mi service though.

I'm used to torquey twins so revving to and cruising at these RPMs is unnatural to me.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
He's not correct that it's down to the rev's, it's simply the way the gears are cut.

6th gear is very whiny and loud, just what they call a 'characteristic', but nothing to worry about.

Also these engines are very flexible and I find it's fine in 6th even as low as 40mph, so it's no problem ;)

MNiceGuy

Reaction score
He's not correct that it's down to the rev's, it's simply the way the gears are cut.

6th gear is very whiny and loud, just what they call a 'characteristic', but nothing to worry about.

Also these engines are very flexible and I find it's fine in 6th even as low as 40mph, so it's no problem ;)
Thanks for the reply! How loud is the noise for you? For me, with a full face helmet (no earplugs) 50-60mph is 6th is such a shrill sound I can hardly hear anything else.

I just want to make sure that I'm not experiencing an usually loud example of what I've read about.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
I wear earplugs, but can hear the whine in 6th over them. I was a bit taken aback by it when I first test rode the bike, but I bought it from a trusted friend who'd put 15k on it and he said it's done it since day 1 with no issues, so like I say I've just taken it as one of those things from the way the gears are cut.

It sounds like yours may be particularly loud though if you describe it as 'shrill' so maybe still worth getting them to have a check, but it is a bit of characteristic and some bikes seem worse than others.