MT09 SP engine light on, and no response from the bike when I attempt to start.

otaylor38

Reaction score

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I saw the diagnostic tool on eBay as well and was considering buying one for my 2017 Tracer 900

otaylor38

Reaction score
I saw the diagnostic tool on eBay as well and was considering buying one for my 2017 Tracer 900
Cant complain for 35 quid tbh mate. No dodgey adaptors need to be used, just plugs straight in. Gets its power from the bike so no batteries either :)

foureyes

Reaction score
Got my relay replaced last week. They also replaced my modified switch! :)
Well, I wish I'd modified the replacement switch... because mines just gone again at 1600 miles in! Still, at least the warranty is two years.

Kcolo

Reaction score
Well, I wish I'd modified the replacement switch... because mines just gone again at 1600 miles in! Still, at least the warranty is two years.
Ohhh no, not again.
No harm double checking the connections to the battery and make sure they are tight. A mechanic told me if there is any loose connections, a jump in voltage can occur during the starting process resulting in frying the solenoid.
Hopefully you will get it sorted.

foureyes

Reaction score
It was definitely the switch. It was already in the start position when I went start it!

Went straight down to my local dealer and left it with them anyway.

Dasfergmeister

Reaction score
My starter switch just started doing this too.
My bike is 2016 and out of warranty though so I'll be following this YouTube video to try and get it fixed before it causes some serious damage

olivierzx

Reaction score
I've the same trouble IF the bike stands over rain a long time.
So if I've a doubt about weather I put something to protect starter switch.

And to reset the ECU error's code I also use the Ebay device. (link given)

nibor

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd switch now and it needs replacing yet again, I complained to my Yamaha dealer some time ago, and was told Yamaha wouldn't be interested in sorting the problem as "it's not a safety issue".

I'm tempted to try the cleaning strip down method shown elsewhere on this site, but until then I continue to ensure the starter switch is pushed back into the central position after the bike starts, this will protect the solenoid until I get round to fixing it.