MT09 splutters just after starting [in the morning] and then it goes away? [help!]

cwillems

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had my MT09 for 5 years [bought it new], I've had two services done, oddo is now on 14500km. I live in Sydney Australia.

Quick question: Just recently, when I start the bike in the morning [outside temp +/- between 13 to 18 degrees C], it splutters for about 3 to 8 seconds, why?

1. It does not start on the first push of the engine start button - as it always used to?
  2. I find that if I switch the ignition on and turn the throttle briefly and let go, only then the bike starts first time round.
  3. When it does start, it splutters for a few seconds [3 to 8 seconds].
  4. If during the spluttering phase I try to pull away, the bike could / has cut out/ stalled - then I have to restart the bike - nearly dropped bike as I pulled away while turning one morning as I left for work.
  5. Then about 8 to 15 seconds later, the bike is fine, feels as though it is riding slightly rougher too?
  6. Also another annoying thing is, the bike might rev to 2500 revs for about a minute later, so when I arrive at the first traffic light, the bike revs to 2500 and then it goes away, very annoying, never happened before.
That question again: Any idea why?

Some history:
  1. I only use Shell V-Power - Shells most expensive fuel - bike has always run smoother using Shell V-Power.
  2. The bike has not had fuel injectors synchronized.
  3. I don't believe the air-filter or spark plugs have been changed at its last service at roughly 13000.
  4. I don't believe the fuel sock under the fuel pump has been cleaned, ever.
  5. I use the bike to commute to work 8km and return 8km, everyday.
  6. It has never given me any trouble before.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Maybe check the air filter and all the serviceable items etc - if not changed at last service then probably worth doing it anyway just out of good practice.

Is the issue only when starting from cold i.e. once up to temperature, if you stop briefly and then restart the bike it's all fine?

If so it could be something to do with the cold start side of things - maybe it's not rich enough until warmed up?

Is the battery in good condition?

Samwise

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had my MT09 for 5 years [bought it new], I've had two services done, oddo is now on 14500km. I live in Sydney Australia.

Quick question: Just recently, when I start the bike in the morning [outside temp +/- between 13 to 18 degrees C], it splutters for about 3 to 8 seconds, why?

1. It does not start on the first push of the engine start button - as it always used to?
  2. I find that if I switch the ignition on and turn the throttle briefly and let go, only then the bike starts first time round.
  3. When it does start, it splutters for a few seconds [3 to 8 seconds].
  4. If during the spluttering phase I try to pull away, the bike could / has cut out/ stalled - then I have to restart the bike - nearly dropped bike as I pulled away while turning one morning as I left for work.
  5. Then about 8 to 15 seconds later, the bike is fine, feels as though it is riding slightly rougher too?
  6. Also another annoying thing is, the bike might rev to 2500 revs for about a minute later, so when I arrive at the first traffic light, the bike revs to 2500 and then it goes away, very annoying, never happened before.
That question again: Any idea why?

Some history:
  1. I only use Shell V-Power - Shells most expensive fuel - bike has always run smoother using Shell V-Power.
  2. The bike has not had fuel injectors synchronized.
  3. I don't believe the air-filter or spark plugs have been changed at its last service at roughly 13000.
  4. I don't believe the fuel sock under the fuel pump has been cleaned, ever.
  5. I use the bike to commute to work 8km and return 8km, everyday.
  6. It has never given me any trouble before.
Attend to items 2-3-&4 ,then if it persists then get advice

cwillems

Reaction score
Hi Chaps, some good news - she is purring like the day I bought her - maybe even better - smooth and responsive like never before.

Thank-you very much for your reply's.

In my naivety and not properly prepared I did two things wrong - maybe more. [also changed plugs, air-filter, oil, also added injector cleaning fluid into the tank].

LESSON ONE: [for all you guys wanting to remove your MT09 fuel pump]:
  1. When you split the fuel pump into two halves, there is a [lack of a better word - "very corny" but bear with me ] female and male inner tube & protrusion parts, the male section has a black rubber sealing ring, which when separated from the female tube, the male black rubber sealing ring stays behind in the female tube.YOU HAVE TO PRY THIS OUT AND RE-INSERT ONTO THE MALE PROTRUSION TUBE.
    1. I realize now, that this seals the transfer of fuel from the fuel pump into the fuel line system towards the fuel injection.​
    2. IF this seal is not re-inserted correctly, there is no fuel pressure - and your MT09 will not start
      • your battery will eventually go flat from trying to start the MT​
      • you will be completely stumped​
      • thinking you have broken your MT09 and​
      • you will possibly spend a full weekend trying to trouble shoot​
      • with the process of elimination, you will keep coming to the same conclusion​
      • after using two cans of starting fluid - THAT THERE IS something wrong with the fuel transfer...​
      • just saying, this could happen :sick:.​
      • That feeling of "you have broken your MT09 always present...​
    3. That darn little black rubber seal is the difference.
    4. After much trouble shooting trying to start the bike with starting fluid - irritating the neighbors with the constant trying to start a bike that has a self induced broken fuel system, I noticed the black rubber seal sitting at the bottom of the female tube....aaarrrrrggggggggggg [but ok now I know] - and hopefully you will learn from my oversight.
    5. WARNING: this is what happens when you don't have a workshop manual :p [trying to stay positive].​
  2. The most humbling part was that the fuel pump had no dirt in it to start with....see photo below:
Rubber seal.PNG

LESSON TWO: [this one really hurt]:

1. Don't forget to put the plastic clip back on over the fuel sock:
    • I believe it has nothing to do with holding the sock in place - IT SOMEHOW CONTROLS THE FLOW OF FUEL IN THE FUEL PUMP SUCTION AREA????
    • Trying to start you MT09 without this plastic "thingie" makes it backfire, runs as though you have a damaged spark plug.​
    • I was getting back firing, bike would idle for 40 seconds and cutout.​
    • The I noticed my oversight, took everything apart [for the 5th time], placed the clip, re-inserted the tank, started the bike and it was purring.....PURRING PEOPLE, 12 hours later, after so much frustration.​
    • See photo below:​
MT09 fuel pump fuel sock clip.PNG

D

Deleted member 4068

Great information many thanks. Only way to learn is sometimes by trial and error....................... But hey ho its all ok now............

Snafu

Reaction score
So is that sock the on filter in the fuel system? What mileage should it be replaced?