MT09 vs 2013 Street Triple R?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Keep getting itches lately to sell the MT and get a Street Triple R...

So anyone have experience of both bikes and have any opinions, pros or cons of either?

Obviously I need to go ride one but it's always good to hear from others also.

Sent from my iPhone

salad_dodger

Reaction score
I sold a 2012 STR to fund my MT. Reason I sold it was I just couldn't get used to how ugly the new headlights were (preferred to round ones) and also just how common they were. Had the MT since December and after initially thinking it was fantastic, I'm not sure it's going to be a keeper. It started off as a bit of a bargain but I'm a bit pissed off that I've had to spend so much money on it just to make it rideable, what with the on/off throttle and the bargain basement suspension. The engine is superb though and the sound through the Arrow pipes certainly puts a smile on my face. I found that I could ride the STR a lot faster everywhere thanks to superior suspension and it seemed so easy to thrash at every opportunity. In a way though, it was probably a bit too civilised - the complete opposite of the pogo stick like Yamaha. Go test ride a STR....

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
had a 2014 STR for 7 months, did >15k miles on it and loved it, it is without doubt the best handling middleweight naked out there.
I rode it like I stole it just about everywhere, could chuck it into any corner and know it was coming out the other side, it's very forgiving of mistakes too and will lean to unbelievable angles for a street bike.
why did I chop it in for an MT09 ? well, it didn't have the grin factor, it was predictably excellent all the time, but my main gripe was the underpowered engine, it needs a bit more grunt and will feel dull compared to the MT, but everywhere else it's far superior.
I had my suspension set up properly and was told the springs are almost too soft for me at a mere 13 stone, we had the front on full preload, the back had <5mm of thread left. but it completely changed the bikes handling and feel compared to it's standard setup.
get out on one... good luck

RipGroove

Reaction score
Thanks lads, pretty much covers what I'm already thinking. The MT for me we also a bargain and a bit of fun but like you I'm annoyed at how much work has to be done to it to get it up to a good standard. The engine in the MT is an absolute gem and that's one thing making me think I should keep it, the other thing being that it was the first vehicle I've ever bought brand spanking new (and ever likely to again) so would be a shame to sell it.

I guess the bottom line is, big plus point for the MT is the engine, and the big plus for the Street Triple is everything else being decent out of the box.

Such a hard decision, I will go get a test ride on the Triumph as soon as I can. I'm not made of money though so obviously cost will come in to it, I've seen some nice Street Triples for like £7000 so I'd have to find some money from somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone

Stripy

Reaction score
I had a STR before i got my MT.
I couldn't get on with it, so sold it after 9 months with only 3500 miles on the clock.
The MT have now 12k.. and i love it!

Had some problems with the STR, gasket water pump wasn't easy replaceable ( but i do blame my stealer for it - they said they couldn't find the correct gasket....hmm..)
Frontlights cracked, horn didn't work, service incredible expensive. Then a charge for warranty work (!).
If you want a naked bike for a track, the STR is probably the best choice out there. You will get higher revs, as in you have to give higher revs to get the same speed.
Im not sure i'd rate the seat much higher - or at least the seating position; you won't be able to move around as much, riding with MX boots is harder, too.
Be cautious about the stealer, too - i tried my best with 3 different; and in the hindsight they are all very rude - but their laugh of you when you have bought accessories for £1500 extra, then telling you its not worth the penny afterwards, thats just not the customer expectation i hoped for.
Oh, and it will be a bit more expensive to fill wit petrol - it takes 2 litres more, but only does the same milage :(

I'd look for a Hypermotard instead. Oh sh*t, i've had a Multistrada before... which i traded the STR into... then traded the Multi into the MT... and now we're here, happy as a dog :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
lol thanks, that's some more good info [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone

sigtrm

Reaction score
Keep getting itches lately to sell the MT and get a Street Triple R...

So anyone have experience of both bikes and have any opinions, pros or cons of either?

Obviously I need to go ride one but it's always good to hear from others also.

Sent from my iPhone
Triumph is made in Britain.

YouTube

Kinjane

Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with Malaysia, the production line is newer and probably able to adhere to better tolerances during production than the older British one.
The bottom line that with Triumph management looking after things it's hopefully all down to the a different finger on the assembly line start button. although I did ensure my last Triumph had the J in the Vin number (Jacknell Rd).
I tried one for size but old injuries made it too difficult to get on it without incurring pain.

Last edited:

boro

Reaction score
Have to agree to some extent with the posts here. STR feels under powered compared to the MT09. Other than that everything else is about the same (brakes, comfort, handling) apart from the suspension, but with a ZX10R rear shock and some springs and oil up front I'd say it handles just as well. Yes you can spend big bucks on suspension if you have the funds but wasn't for me. In fact have a friend with a STR another with a Monster 821 and one with Tuono. And they all agree after the Tuono my MT09 is the best handling then the STR (close 2nd) with the Monster being by last by a long way, worse than a std MT09

RipGroove

Reaction score
So far it seems then that any extra cash required to buy a STR would probably be more than what's required to sort the suspension out on the MT. Similar mileage, similar looks, similar performance etc etc so there's not really much in it apart from the MT is possibly more reliable and has a better engine.

Sent from my iPhone

Deadhead

Reaction score
It's been a while since I tried the STR, It never did anything for me really and have to agree with what the other guys are saying..good brakes handling etc just that engine is so boring and under powered I got off after a few hours of riding and was quite underwhelmed by it. The MT has it faults of course but man that engine is a peach. Suspension easily sorted for not much money as are the brakes too. Definitely try the STR as it's always interesting to here other people views on it...and you can never ride to many bikes.

Bel

Reaction score
I'm a sheep in wolf clothing or is the other way around lol.

I have the round eye 09 Street. Done 22k on it and still love riding it. Will I swap it for the MT09. No is the short answer. I have found a bike that gels with me and suit my riding style. This is my 6th bike and is the 1st bike I have owned for more than a year. Others was 1-2 year and less than 1k miles per year and onto next one. The Street was 6k fist and second year and then kiddy arrived and miles dropped off before picking back up.

You need to find the bike that suits you and puts the grin on your face. If you are tempted, go test ride the Street and answer your questions. Don't dwell on it. You might find is not the bike for you after all.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Mat Still

Reaction score
So would it be better to compare the mt09 go the speed triple then for the performance?