MT09 won't start after servicing the fuel pump

cwillems

Reaction score
Hi all, wow now what?

Changed my plugs, oil, air filter. Also took my fuel pump out and cleaned it [was clean anyway].

Now the bike wont start? Everything plumbed in as it was. Tank only has about 1.5 liters of fuel in it.

One thing though, I did disconnect my ECU for about 4 hours while servicing the bike.

Could it be the fuel pump needs priming?

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
You've got two posts, one saying it runs roughly and then cuts out, and this saying it wont start at all. I'm presuming its the second version now.

I don't think it would be ECU as you'd have trouble in a lot of places - but not bad to check the connection if you get in there again.

Also I wouldn't go taking the ECU off for air filter changes. The cover can be eased off to the right fairly easily to allow enough access to remove and insert the filter. No need to risk removing the ECU.

Not sure why you felt the need to clean the fuel pump with a bike that's not that old - has it done massive mileage that made you think it needed doing. I've changed tanks on bikes 20 years old and the fuel pump still looked fine. It's not something I'd do without reason or if the bike age/mileage made me think it's worth the hassle.

Anyway, no big deal you've done it now ;) - have you ran the fuel pump repeatedly without starting the engine to get the fuel pump through.

Basically just flick the ignition on and let the fuel pump run, turn off and repeat. Eventually it should pull the fuel all the way through and then build pressure in the injectors. After a full strip down I'd probably do this at least 5 times. The spluttering could be fuel only just getting through and if you have a lot of air trapped in there it'll take a while to get out. Give it a few more primes and try again.

Maybe also chuck a little more fuel in. With only 1.5 litres in, it could be pulling a little air - is it on a sidestand when starting? That will definitely be pulling air as the fuel will be sent over to one side.